Climate Change & Survival.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
And maybe, when they read up on the subject, it would have helped if they actually understood what they read and paid attention, eh?
Are you insinuating you were one of those 'on the front line during the pandemic'?
No 'insinuating' anything, I was there too, read all I could on the subject, assessed the risk and got stuck in

That was my only point on the subject - read the sorce material not what the MSM would have you believe

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I haven't seen any climate science in this thread? - The OP posted up a load of click bait clap trap - full of miss-quotes, half truths and media hype, that was my point.

BINGO! Just as we were getting back on track too.
So if you are going to Diss an opinion, its just that you need to back it up a bit rather than just repeating your disbelief, and saying that others have no scientific knowledge when you don't even know them. So come on,..... I give in.. give us the science, and it might be possible to have a conversation rather than just trade insults, which realy only amounts to conspiracy theory tactics .
All the bull, stuff aside.
I'm genuinely interested.... but I'm bored with the insults and trolling .( fun while it lasted, thank you for brightening up a boring sunday for a bit, ) I'm done now, I need a grown up conversation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 56522

You can take a horse to water.......
Your arguments get weaker and weaker. Still waiting for the proof of your argument from a reputable and unarguably source......
I suppose the cop meetings in Cornwall last year was just a multimillion pound jolly for world leaders, and they had meetings to decide on wording to keep extention rebellion happy. ;)
Why not read Roy Spencer's blog who compiles the UAH global temperature record.

And COP was in Glasgow ... and like every other COP it was a political talking shop and had nothing to do with the science.

Reactions: Toddy and Corso

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Why not read Roy Spencer's blog who compiles the UAH global temperature record.

And COP was in Glasgow ... and like every other COP it was a political talking shop and had nothing to do with the science.
Don't waste your time

I've hit the ignore button on people that want me to feed them...

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
No 'insinuating' anything, I was there too, read all I could on the subject, assessed the risk and got stuck in

Again, you don't say much but imply lots.
That's the same tactic people who may want to later deny what they said use. It makes it hard to believe anything you say.
I think I have the measure of you.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Again, you don't say much but imply lots.
That's the same tactic people who may want to later deny what they said use. It makes it hard to believe anything you say.
I think I have the measure of you.
I really don't know how I can be any clearer?

What are you expecting me to deny later?

Not even sure why you've jumped in with both feet on a hysterical driven thread that had nothing to do with covid?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Could I make a couple of suggestions corso?
Turn your bed round so that you get out of it on the right side.

If that fails, I can recommend a good book that might help you. It's called, "how to win friends and influence people."

Hope that helps you.

Sleep well my dear.

Reactions: oldtimer

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Could I make a couple of suggestions corso?
Turn your bed round so that you get out of it on the right side.

If that fails, I can recommend a good book that might help you. It's called, "how to win friends and influence people."

Hope that helps you.

Sleep well my dear.
And you think patronising somone works do you? All its done is remind me there's an ignore button

I sleep absolutely fine - bye

Reactions: Herman30 and Coach

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Seems to me that the vast majority of climate experts and organisations earn their living from " global warming" and "climate change", without it they'd all be on the dole and looking for something else to bang on about.
And anyone looking for the 'Science' of doubt should read Michael Crichtons book State of Fear - opened my eyes!.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
97% of scientists agree...... etc etc.
They haven't included ALL the data, hell they don't even know half the external input that's marked up to Human influence
But lets not forget that NASA and ESA have both stated that the earths magnetic field is decreasing in strength, the Poles are heading towards each other and that signifies a magnetic flip.
Just to add frosting, we are just climbing to a Solar Max in 2024/5, so all those CME's that are earthbound will likely punch through to L2 / L1 / ground strike.
Which won't be pretty.
Which would explain why there's a rush to kill us all off with diseases, food shortages, wars etc. so that there's less people to stop the rich people getting to the DUMBs with time to spare.

CO2 really isn't an issue
Oh wait, Hydrogen isn't really an issue
23,500 times more potent than CO2

D

Deleted member 56522

Are any of you preparing for the coming disasters? What are your preparations?
Keith.
Global cooling due to the start of the next ice-age is by far the most serious threat most people face except for common illnesses. Yet most people are clueless about this threat. My plan is simple: to try to be able to recognise the start, if it happens in my lifetime, and so be in a position to devise and initiate a plan of action before most people even know its a threat.

In other words, to be launching the lifeboat filled with supplies whilst others are still saying: "what's that big white icy thing".

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Going back to the OP, and please keep the vitriol to a minimum folks, I'm not sure how to prep for climate change. I imagine it would be a long term/ expensive endeavour, along the lines of moving to a property well above sea level and setting oneself up for self sufficiency and possibly mitigating civil unrest. Currently I do "sensible prepping" like keeping some extra food in the pantry in case of a snow in (which came in handy when I caught covid) and various bits and pieces associated with homesteading. Such prepping looks to maybe 5 years in the future at most, whereas climate change prepping is looking to events that may occur some decades from now.

I reckon the bigger problem in the meantime is the burgeoning cost of housing. There's going to be a whole generation most of whom cannot get onto the property ladder however hard they work because an average wage is nowhere near enough and minimum wage is an insult. Meanwhile older, landed (housed?) generations accuse them of being lazy, whereas they are simply demotivated by a financial impass.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I reckon the bigger problem in the meantime is the burgeoning cost of housing. There's going to be a whole generation most of whom cannot get onto the property ladder however hard they work because an average wage is nowhere near enough and minimum wage is an insult. Meanwhile older, landed (housed?) generations accuse them of being lazy, whereas they are simply demotivated by a financial impass.
Take a deep dive into the Great Reset, W.E.F , Davos and the charismatic Klaus Schwaub... ( minus the white cat..)

Reactions: bobnewboy
D

Deleted member 56522

Going back to the OP, and please keep the vitriol to a minimum folks, I'm not sure how to prep for climate change.
Climate change is any change in the Climate. The worst example of climate change in the British record is the 1690s when it is said that around a quarter of the population of Scotland died in the colder period. Likewise, something like 4 out of 5 famines in Ireland occurred in colder years. Since the end of the global cooling scare, there have been over 1millon extra winter deaths in the UK.

The worst example of heat stress in the UK occurred in summer 2003 when (almost uniquely) there were 2300 extra deaths recorded. Globally cold is the main killer even in countries like India which we associate with high temperatures.
I imagine it would be a long term/ expensive endeavour, along the lines of moving to a property well above sea level
The current rate of rise of sea level is a few mm a year, which makes it an insignificant issue. Even people like Al Gore and Obama buy beach front properties.
and setting oneself up for self sufficiency and possibly mitigating civil unrest. .... I reckon the bigger problem in the meantime is the burgeoning cost of housing. There's going to be a whole generation most of whom cannot get onto the property ladder however hard they work because an average wage is nowhere near enough and minimum wage is an insult. Meanwhile older, landed (housed?) generations accuse them of being lazy, whereas they are simply demotivated by a financial impass.
Civil unrest is usually caused by economic disparity. The main cause of economic disparity globally, is the lack of access to fossil fuels suffered by most of the globe. Net Zero is an attempt to force that same poverty on people in the west ... particularly the poorest in society, who will be denied access to travel, consumer goods, etc, whilst the rich have relatively minor impacts. It therefore seems very likely that we will see a massive rise in civil unrest associated with that policy.

If we have the denial of cheap energy in the UK, and then see a return to the 1690s type of climate, we would literally see the cost of living being too high in the UK (i.e. people unable to afford to live). If we see the beginning of the next ice-age, the worldwide famine will mean it'll be a fight to the death.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: nigelp

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"Climate Change" for us has meant extremes in weather. A storm was a storm but now, homes are wreck and people are killed like never before.

We had a "heat dome". Must have been at least +47C in the shade at my house. It cooked the sun-facing branches of all the local conifers rust-red brown.

My downstairs is finished, kitchen and all. It's 1/2 underground so it might have been 20C down there with the worst of the outdoor heat. My west wall, 24" out, is covered with grape vines to the 14' roof. That is strategic shade.

Offshore, Pacific ocean warming shows itself as many more tropical and subtropical species being caught. Monterey squid (calamari) are hard to catch (have been for 10 years) but the much bigger Humboldt squid are attracting both the market and the crews from as far south as Chile. Those squid are big as your leg and mean, nasty ********.

Reactions: nigelp
D

Deleted member 56522

"Climate Change" for us has meant extremes in weather. A storm was a storm but now, homes are wreck and people are killed like never before.
The number of climate related deaths has gone down dramatically. What has gone up is the reporting of the few deaths that still occur.
We had a "heat dome". Must have been at least +47C in the shade at my house. It cooked the sun-facing branches of all the local conifers rust-red brown.
A recent check of the meteorological balloon data shows that there has been no long term change in global temperature since 1998. What does change is the local temperature due to changes in vegetation. Reducing vegetation reduces evaporation and that can lead to a large rise in temperatures which is particularly noticeable in cities which have almost no natural evaporative cooling.

There was warming from the 1970s to ~2000. That happens to coincide with the period of the clean air acts which dramatically reduced the amount of SO2 being released. SO2 at low level causes smog ... at high level it increases sunlight reflecting cloud, and also creates acid rain.

Since the 1970s we have also seen a dramatic increase in aeroplane vapour trails. These are released in the coldest part of the atmosphere, where paradoxically, they reduce IR emission and so can help to warm the planet.

We also happen to be at the peak of the AMO cycle, which tends to warm, and yes the small rise in CO2 should have added a small fraction of a degree average increase ... which given everything going on, is far too small to detect.

Fortunately, the climatic record shows that the runaway warming that occurs very frequently as the world comes out of an ice-age comes to a juddering stop at the interglacial temperatures. So, not only is heat and CO2 good for the planet, but there is nothing to fear from further runaway warming. However, the same is not true for cooling. The climatic record shows the planet regularly undergoes runaway cooling (basically flipping between ice-age and interglacial).

On average it is about 7000 years from the start of the inter-glacial to the next flip into an ice-age. We are currently 10,000 years into the current interglacial ... so a flip into the ice-age is overdue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm living in it. The severity, the extremes, in our weather is impressive. Climate records recorded by whomever, the effect here is regional +/- 2,000 miles.
The heat dome was impressive. The worst of it on the coast happened at a low tide. Black as they are, every mussel on every shoreline rock was fried to death. All of them.

The root systems of my spruce trees (16" DBH) were wet enough that I lost lots of branch tips but that was all. Across the street, the west sides of all the trees got cooked. Despite the broad leaf shapes, my grapes were unaffected.

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The flipside is the mini ice age that will supposedly arive around 2030. That could be devastating to food production and stretch energy supplies to breaking point if it proves true.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE