Futurproofing your house

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What happens to the system if the power goes out and the purge cycle hasn't been done?
Will it re-start normally or does it need some control over ride ?
I was thinking about places like the Shetlands where folks were without power for a week last December after the dreadful storms hit.
Folks with meters had issues with smart meters....did we not have a conversation on here about those recently ?

Just curious.

M

System reboots - runs a start up cycle -I can only comment upon the systems we use and the other what I am aware of however.

Reactions: Toddy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So, not having taken part in this conversation, but now having got up to date on it, it seems to me that the best way forward would be for people to state what they've done to 'future proof' themselves and then leave it at that, there's way too much wanting to get people onside, or, there's only one way and it's my way. If someone has a constructive comment then post it, but don't have an expectation that everyone has to agree and don't react offended when they don't agree.

Also, think before posting, there's no point in posting negative comments when really it's better to just leave the conversation, if the thread is irritating or you find things offensive then stop posting in this thread.

Please remember that first and foremost this is a forum about Bushcraft, and while there's a wide degree of leeway on thread subjects it is not a forum built for politics, religion and other subjects where the conversation becomes personal. These are covered and welcomed by a myriad of other forums and groups, if your interests are firmly rooted in those subjects, outside of what we are comfortable with on Bushcraft UK then they may well be the place to find people with the same views.

As the forum owner I'm happy for most things to be discussed, nicely and with consideration of others, however, human nature and ego often dictate otherwise, and it causes problems, and then the mud starts flying and pride kicks in and someone has to be right, battle lines are drawn.... All avoidable when the conversation is approached appropriately considerately.

While I'm happy for there to be conversation on climate change I (and the mods) can't be doing with the reports and complaints that come along with it when people can't converse nicely and get offended by other people.

All these welcome in-depth conversation on climate change, or those that want in-depth conversations on climate change and are probably enthused to moderate any offence caused by disagreeing parties.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've asked before about how COVID has changed your life but here I'm asking for specifics about changes to your house or where you live to better cope with the future disasters, pandemics or other crises. I'm not talking about heading for the hills, building a bomb shelter and prepping / US survivalist changes. I'm talking about getting your house more comfortable for being at home more if furloughed or under lockdown. Or creating seating areas or "rooms" in your garden to escape to. Or stocking up reading matter of jobs to do.
Please note that this thread started like this. Basically I was musing about how COVID and the lockdown changed your focus in your life. What was important? What did you change in response? The future proofing was as much my lifestyle as my house or place of abode.

To get back on this train of thought I will say we decided and actioned a move to a lovely village at the end of the road. Actually two roads that meet in a loop in the village. A road to nowhere except this village. Its on a branch rail line for access to places of work. It's a really nice village with amazing countryside, an AONB that is bypassed by ppl heading to the lake district, Scotland or the dates.

The idea was to get our son into a primary school in the next county that didn't close schools as much as our previous county. Had lower infection levels and to be in a beautiful but quiet area in case of another lockdown. An active village with an educational institute and library link open from 9am to 7pm every day except Sunday. Plus loads of other benefits. Such as a big garden to occupy our time a bit in a second lockdown.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Basically I was asking if you changed house, lifestyle or outlook after the covid lockdown in response to the events of that pandemic?

We made a big change. Moved to a nicer, more rural area. A place with a good train line which allowed us to reduce car use. Less car use because we lived in an area we could explore that was as nice as we needed for walks, rides and exercise. We changed our son's school, actually he did a term plus at the village school before we even moved there we were so committed.

I suspect some moved into prepping, likely where they were headed anyway. Some obviously became environmentally conscious, but that's not really covid related. It's this covid changes I'm curious about.

BTW I'm a guilty as anyone to get sucked into climate / environment discussions even despite starting the thread on another matter.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Basically I was asking if you changed house, lifestyle or outlook after the covid lockdown in response to the events of that pandemic?
Sounds like your planning has paid off.

We're still plodding along, with hind sight we should have done more to be more self sufficient although things like cutting our own wood for heating has saved a fortune.

Looking forward I have noticed a lot of things like council services have been removed and not restored after COVID. Probably have to ditch the idea of giving up the car and switching to an ebike and look at a pickup.

Just wondering what the next disaster will be so we can plan what to do. I need to sort out some large scale water storage in case of fire as there's no mains water in the area.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
With regards to covid, we have reassessed what we do work wise and what our plans are going forward and now have a new idea, but have yet to begin it due to various reasons.

At home we haven't changed too much as realistically we faired pretty well during the whole thing.... My wife did a lot of gardening bits and we have become surrounded by a lot more greenery which is delightful.

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
I've asked before about how COVID has changed your life but here I'm asking for specifics about changes to your house or where you live to better cope with the future disasters, pandemics or other crises. I'm not talking about heading for the hills, building a bomb shelter and prepping / US survivalist changes. I'm talking about getting your house more comfortable for being at home more if furloughed or under lockdown. Or creating seating areas or "rooms" in your garden to escape to. Or stocking up reading matter of jobs to do.

There's many, like us, who are moving into more rural areas so we can get away from the masses and walk into nice areas from our back door. Also houses with gardens are more popular so people have more space during lockdowns and just to escape from people instead of going out. We're planning on a garage gym, den area for the kid and space where we can sit, read and even work outside. A nicer house to sit in, not a dark Victorian terrace.

Perhaps it's about learning skills or kitting up to learn skills by setting up a garden shed as a workshop. Perhaps it's creating your own vegetable plot and the various things related such as raised beds or a new greenhouse. Have the extraordinary situation that COVID pandemic is made you look at where you live, how things could change and what you can do to help should things become worse?

It could of course just be a new mindset. For example I no longer feel the need to fill my free time going out. I'm more relaxed about being at home. I used to feel that was wasted time. It's a strange feeling that change in outlook which will only be enlarged by our upcoming move to a house with a decent sized garden, large garage, greenhouse, summer house, trees, space and solar power. Terraced house to a more modern house and garden at the edge of a village. It's a big change that was helped into being by a global pandemic and resulting change in priorities.

Sorry for the rambling post!!
Got to stop the damn fieldmice from getting indoors..........

Three outages this year already.

Purchased Ecoflow Delta Pro 2.88 Kw/hr (they say 3.6Kw/Hr storage but that's nonsense: 20% of the capacity is used to run itself and all the features) but with the xtra battery at a true 3.6 Kw/hr and a generator providing steady 1300W charge: charge job done in 2.5/3 or so hours on average. Power via this source works out roughly at 40% of mains and that's excluding the additional VAT/Standing Charges on mains. Got some solar but with my battery capacity just ineffectual. Now considering a, change-over switch installed just to be able to raise 'a two-fingered' gesture to Government and energy provider. Come off the Grid and their meters removed.................

Installed a diesel heater indoors last November and ran it on red diesel. Exhaust slips inside the woodburner door just a treat! Earlier in the year fitted a 28ml pump to replace the 22 which came with it. Pumps out anything up to 220C now and gone over to kerosene at about 80p / Litre compared with red diesel I'll save even more this coming winter. And 'Yes' before anyone comments, there is no seepage of Carbon Monoxide around where the exhaust goes into the logburner. Alarm meter sits on top the woodburner just above the partially open door (about 1'' open and secured by luggage elastic). Not a peep nor a registration of a ppm level. Yes, checked against another because I expected some level. But no.

Pressing: (for the inevitable coming) Go watch Georg Sprave on YT and gain some ideas.....

There's more but above is too long anyway.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Covid changed a lot in my life. It has taught me who my real friends are, soI've dropped some of them, and made new friendships that are more in line with my ethics and principles.
I have lived alone for many years, but being vunerable and needing to stay isolated made life a bit difficult, I've worked around a lot of that, and I'm now pretty happy that I can survive almost anything.
Today I'm under a big wind and rain event. I'm cosy, got a stew in the slow cooker, radio on, im making a macrame, wall hanging for an xmas present, and I'm content.
Being content with your own company, and with less possessions, is a big lesson to learn which sets one up for disasters of any sort.
I'm also spending an hour every day, looking at my possessions, and determining if they are needed or not, the charity shop has done very well out of me recently!

Reactions: Paul_B

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was kind of like you in that I was happy with myself for company. I'd given up on having a family and all that. Funny how things change. Our lad is nearly 11yo and I'm still with his mother. Neither would have been expected 12 or so years ago.

Now I've just changed jobs which will make the cost of living less of a stresser 2 weeks from my first, new and bigger pay packet. That'll be a relief. Still reachable by public transport. No way of futurproofing the trains. They run or increasingly they don't!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Another day here and another storm. Tree down on power lines so power out for a few hours and phone line broken by the guys sorting the power.

A couple of hours later and a bit of handy chainsaw work by myself and two car loads of sycamore added to the wood pile and the power and phone lines have been fixed.

No need for a generator or mobile router so far...

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Another day here and another storm. Tree down on power lines so power out for a few hours and phone line broken by the guys sorting the power.

A couple of hours later and a bit of handy chainsaw work by myself and two car loads of sycamore added to the wood pile and the power and phone lines have been fixed.

No need for a generator or mobile router so far...

That's the ticket, turn things to your advantage.
I do the same with downed trees, and as I don't have TV or a pooter, loss of power realy isn't too much of a problem. I have a decent camp stove, and plenty of gas, battery operated fairy lights and spare batteries , aswell as candles, and woolen blankets, a wood burner and battery radio plus a solar one.
A decent pantry full as I can get it.
Sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE