Climate Change & Survival.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There are unicorns; they're all over the place up here. It's the National animal :D
It's carved on everything from gateways to castles. Has been so for hundreds of years.

I think the biggest issues are that folks have conflated so many differing strands of 'evidence' and when it is looked at, with thought, rather than just glanced through and spouted onwards, then the evidence presented in support often doesn't actually apply to the topic.
That muddle becomes both annoying and frustrating, and we end up with folks ranting and raving against anyone who says, "Well, wait a minute, this isn't actually relevant", and, "How much did you get paid to write this ?".

We need encouragement to change things, not harangued or browbeaten with ranting great screeds of mixed grade science and tabloid journalism.

The Earth and it's climate are in a constant state of flux. Albeit it's a long time period kind of flux usually.
It was warmer here when the Romans invaded Britain than it is now.
What is now sub marginal land was productive arable land then.

I'm not denying climate change, or mankind's part in it, but change is normal, not just driven by us.
It's how we adapt to those changes that matters, but that change needs society to adapt; in the grand scheme of things a few individuals aren't going to do it, regardless of how careful or conscientious they may be.

So, I won't be becoming a 'crusty' and I won't be giving up living in a warm dry home, even if I am not energy self sufficient, or off grid for water, sewerage, electricity, gas or even cable internet.
My 'society' is trying to change, and slowly we're getting there at least on the green energy front :)
The rest will just take a bit more time and effort.

Turn down the thermostat a degree or so though, put on another jumper and some socks, it's March, not mid Summer :)

I agree it has been warmer and colder at certain points in history, but we were not shoving pollutants into the air and water as we are now, we were not deliberately decimating the rain forest in Central America. The lungs of the earth.
We were not filling our oceans with plastic, or taking oil from the earth and burning it in ever increasing amounts.
Although climate flux is normal, it is not normal what's happening now, which has been gathering pace to a runaway effect only since ww2. It became noticeable in the 70's and has gathered pace since then.to a point where man and our fellow flora and fauna will no longer be able to survive before much longer. It has been a slow process so far. Its not anymore. We have already gone past the point of no return, but the man in the street just either doesn't care, denies the whole thing outright or believes it's a normal and natural process.
That is sad, as a better understanding of what we are going to put our children and grandchildren through, might make us all think twice.

Reactions: nigelp

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
just keep waiting to be rescued...
Is that your best shot?
Resorting to insults and cheap shots rather that rational conversation, shows me that you probably have more than your fair share of neanderthal genes.
Your insults are very amusing. Made an otherwise boring Sunday quite fun.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Is that your best shot?
Resorting to insults and cheap shots rather that rational conversation, shows me that you probably have more than your fair share of neanderthal genes.
Your insults are very amusing.
lol and quotes like that show be you know about as much about anthropology as you do science

keep digging...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
lol and quotes like that show be you know about as much about anthropology as you do science

keep digging...
Oooh! Your realy on an insult roll now ain't you? My dear boy, quit while you still have a tiny bit of dignity left.
As you have no idea of my education level, you are just being silly now.
But if you want to play, I'm game! But,
I'm here to have an informed discussion, and am open to properly presented "evidence" not ill thought out petty insults.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Oooh! Your realy on an insult roll now ain't you? My dear boy, quit while you still have a tiny bit of dignity left.
As you have no idea of my education level, you are just being silly now.
But if you want to play, I'm game! But,
I'm here to have an informed discussion, and am open to properly presented "evidence" not ill thought out petty insults.
You assume alot don't you...

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Thanks for that ;)

Maybe they read up on the subject and realise the media drama has blown it all out of proportion, so much so they were happy to be on the front line during the pandemic caring for covid positive patient's? just maybe?

And maybe, when they read up on the subject, it would have helped if they actually understood what they read and paid attention, eh?
Are you insinuating you were one of those 'on the front line during the pandemic'?
I work in a NHS hospital and had the pleasure of watching many people steadily choke to death over the course of a couple of weeks. I remember walking in to work in the morning, with the mortuary already full, more people dying that afternoon and wondering exactly where we were going to put the bodies.
Are you suggesting you were in a similar position?
You make a lot of opinions and suggest a lot, but you are woeful when it comes to anything of substance.
With the utmost respect (and, to be honest, after some of the things you've said, that's not much) kindly get a grip and stop making a damn fool of yourself.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are unicorns; they're all over the place up here. It's the National animal :D
It's carved on everything from gateways to castles. Has been so for hundreds of years.

I think the biggest issues are that folks have conflated so many differing strands of 'evidence' and when it is looked at, with thought, rather than just glanced through and spouted onwards, then the evidence presented in support often doesn't actually apply to the topic.
That muddle becomes both annoying and frustrating, and we end up with folks ranting and raving against anyone who says, "Well, wait a minute, this isn't actually relevant", and, "How much did you get paid to write this ?".

We need encouragement to change things, not harangued or browbeaten with ranting great screeds of mixed grade science and tabloid journalism.

The Earth and it's climate are in a constant state of flux. Albeit it's a long time period kind of flux usually.
It was warmer here when the Romans invaded Britain than it is now.
What is now sub marginal land was productive arable land then.

I'm not denying climate change, or mankind's part in it, but change is normal, not just driven by us.
It's how we adapt to those changes that matters, but that change needs society to adapt; in the grand scheme of things a few individuals aren't going to do it, regardless of how careful or conscientious they may be.

So, I won't be becoming a 'crusty' and I won't be giving up living in a warm dry home, even if I am not energy self sufficient, or off grid for water, sewerage, electricity, gas or even cable internet.
My 'society' is trying to change, and slowly we're getting there at least on the green energy front :)
The rest will just take a bit more time and effort.

Turn down the thermostat a degree or so though, put on another jumper and some socks, it's March, not mid Summer :)

100% agree :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You assume alot don't you...
I think you are the one making assumptions of my education level, and I've noticed your replies have dwindled from rants to one line insults. Not very good ones either.
Carry on sweetie, you are giving me the best laugh I've had in a long while.
Due to you, polite discussion is impossible, as you just insult and rubbish anyone who tries to say something, taking this whole thread into the realms of total farce.
So, you said you were off, you certainly are!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Oh dear, this is just infant school playground stuff now (from all sides) - I'll put this thread on 'ignore' it has no value at all in improving anyone's understanding of the situation and is certainly well below an intellectual discussion IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtimer

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Oh dear, this is just infant school playground stuff now (from all sides) - I'll put this thread on 'ignore' it has no value all in improving anyone's understanding of the situation and is certainly well below an intellectual discussion IMO
I agree, but its eye opening isn't it?

Souledman

Nov 14, 2020
Glasgow
In response to the OP, the answer is “not much” it does seem a bit nebulous to think what I can do to prepare for climate collapse, and I’m a bit more focussed on mitigation at the moment, and haven’t quite thought through adaptation.

I expect I’m quite lucky that I live somewhere which is potentially quite shielded from the heating. Potentially even benefitting from it. I’ll top up my insulation, probably get some kind of renewables. Might set up some rain water harvesting, certainly not pave over the garden. My house is a fair few meters above sea level. The railway at the back is a few meters below the house and the garden slopes down towards it. So flash flooding will go there first I reckon.

Maybe I’ll start growing grapes… a better crop of tomatoes would be a start.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So, exactly which parts of the climate science are you railing against Corso?
We seem to be missing out on a bit of detail with the "All of it" kind of answer. Now obviously it can't be all of it, that would just be silly so can you be more specific? Ta muchly.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
We seem to be missing out on a bit of detail with the "All of it" kind of answer. Now obviously it can't be all of it, that would just be silly so can you be more specific? Ta muchly.
Oh please, don't start him off again!
He obviously is only going to troll the thread given any chance.
Let's just talk nicely, much as I enjoy swapping insults with him, it gets boring after a while.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
In response to the OP, the answer is “not much” it does seem a bit nebulous to think what I can do to prepare for climate collapse, and I’m a bit more focussed on mitigation at the moment, and haven’t quite thought through adaptation.

I expect I’m quite lucky that I live somewhere which is potentially quite shielded from the heating. Potentially even benefitting from it. I’ll top up my insulation, probably get some kind of renewables. Might set up some rain water harvesting, certainly not pave over the garden. My house is a fair few meters above sea level. The railway at the back is a few meters below the house and the garden slopes down towards it. So flash flooding will go there first I reckon.

Maybe I’ll start growing grapes… a better crop of tomatoes would be a start.

Sounds like a plan there. I think we will all need to get experienced at growing our own food, not only because of climate change, but because of present world problems.
Insulation is going to be key, not only to keep warm in winter, but if the temperatures I experienced last summer were anything to go by, for cooling too.
I have been experimenting with a home made hay box the past few weeks, and a jolly nice stew, and rice pudding ensued.
I'm going to be looking at getting or making a solar cooker for the summer.
I've had water up to ouch! That's flipping hot! in a black painted cola can, stuck inside an old lemonade bottle, so I now have a cooking thermometer to try more experiments this summer.
saving electric by not using the electric stove so much is my main aim, and I also need to look at making a solar dryer.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I haven't seen any climate science in this thread? - The OP posted up a load of click bait clap trap - full of miss-quotes, half truths and media hype, that was my point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE