Climate Change & Survival.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Not far from us there used to be a factory that used it's waste heat to grow tomatoes. The tomatoes tasted lovely but they were still very much more expensive than the cheap wasserbomb imports from Spain.....where they have lots of free natural sunshine.
The factory closed and the glasshouses weren't economically viable.

It seems it all comes down to money at the end.
The waste from factories in Sheffield used to raise the temperature of the river Don so that fig trees started growing on the banks.

Reactions: Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As I understand it that is one part, last I checked almost all "western" countries have CO² going down and India and especially Chine going up.
And when we produce less than them, perhaps we can criticise, but when they pollute far less than we do per person, it seems like an outrageous double standard - and that's before we consider that the manufacturing base in China that accounts for much of the pollution is making goods for Western nations. It's a logical conclusion than we have simply outsourced our pollution.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Ahh well, thats all sorted then.
No point changing our lifestyles at all cos some bloke in the country that makes all our stuff dropped some placky into a river.
Don't bother listening to pretty much the whole of climate science cos some bloke from the oil industry payed some lobbyists to muddy the waters.
I have noticed that people say about overpopulation never offer to autoeuthenase, or even in some cases put a bag on it. Always someone else thats overpopulation and none of us.

I'm glad weve talked.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have noticed that people say about overpopulation never offer to autoeuthenase,
Why would she has to suicide? These two things are in no way connected. About equal to saying that anybody who realizes that Stalin killed more people than Hitler has to commit suicide.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It's also worth noting that India's CO2 emissions, per person, is less than half that of the United Kingdom. China's is far less, per person, than the USA. I don't really understand how that gives us any high ground to criticise them from?

Then we should let in all the immigrants, open the borders, double our population, and maybe that will bring our emissions per person down so we will be better than China's and India's, and it would allow us to build loads of. coal powered power stations like China, and we wouldn't have to worry about electricity bills any more.

Reactions: TLM

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The waste from factories in Sheffield used to raise the temperature of the river Don so that fig trees started growing on the banks.
When Pilkingtons Glass were going in St Helens, they dumped the hot water waste into the streams and ponds around the site, and they ended up full of tropical fish, after someone threw a few guppies in to get rid of them.

When you look back the environment was much improved by the destruction of the manufacturing base in the UK, all the old factories flattened as manufacturing went overseas to Asia, the downside being most of the occupants of the villages that supported and worked in the factories moved to urban areas to get jobs, causing the demand for housing, transport, and other infrastructure to be built to meet the demand, this overpopulation of the urban areas then caused a demand for second homes in the villages and areas that had housed the manufacturing centres of the UK.
The circle of life, as we know it JIM.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Then we should let in all the immigrants, open the borders, double our population, and maybe that will bring our emissions per person down so we will be better than China's and India's, and it would allow us to build loads of. coal powered power stations like China, and we wouldn't have to worry about electricity bills any more.
And that's exactly what we are doing, we've just outsourced it to China. Those power stations are running factories making goods....for us . Perhaps if we want less emissions we should consume less, travel less, import less rather than expect other people to make things for us, cheaply and without emissions?

Anyway, this conversation is definitely veered into the emotional now, I'll get back to repairing a chicken coop

Reactions: gibson 175

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im just reading Gok Wans `Work your wardrobe`

(An opague title if there ever was one)

In the introduction he claims that 1/3 of all clothing bought by women here is never worn.

(But guess who has just been given some nice new M&S tops that were unwanted?)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Victorian's loved their little phrases. All those writing exercises, embroidery workings, etc., A very old lady quoted one at me when we cleared the table and a milk jug was broken.
"God bless the cat who breaks the crock, in pieces very small,
For such a thing is good for trade, thus benefits us all"

Trade of one kind or another makes the world go around. It has been on the go for literally thousands of years.

I can't see us stopping it in any great hurry, despite plague, global warming and war.

Kipling, (forgive him his colonialism, it was very much normal for his time ) said though,
"These are the four that have never been filled since the Dews began— Jacala's mouth, and the glut of the Kite, and the hands of the Ape, and the Eyes of Man."

People want stuff, even those who follow the OCD inflicted M. Kendo, want stuff. They just throw it away more than the rest do.

Maybe we need to learn to live a little more simply so that others may simply live.....and reuse, repurpose, repair, recycle properly.

If only it were ever so easy........

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If only it were ever so easy........
In many cases it is. One does not have to buy a new gas burner if a new one comes out if the old one still works. It is just that the present advertising culture is just new, new, new. and the High Life should be followed. Most of my present trekking and camping equipment is 20 years old on the average. Though I can see some investments coming fairly soon ... they will be replacements for worn out gear.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im not saying folk shouldnt have stuff.

Im saying folk should be more sensible with stuff.

(I hate Kondo too).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Im not saying folk shouldnt have stuff.

Im saying folk should be more sensible with stuff.

(I hate Kondo too).

"I'm saying folk should be more sensible with stuff"

I think we can all get behind that one :)

I wish we had better recycling, that really was, and didn't just dump the stuff elsewhere.
I know we're getting better at it, but we're not better enough yet.

M

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Ahh well, thats all sorted then.
No point changing our lifestyles at all cos some bloke in the country that makes all our stuff dropped some placky into a river.
Don't bother listening to pretty much the whole of climate science cos some bloke from the oil industry payed some lobbyists to muddy the waters.
I have noticed that people say about overpopulation never offer to autoeuthenase, or even in some cases put a bag on it. Always someone else thats overpopulation and none of us.

I'm glad weve talked.
climate science turned into climate politics with acid rain and the hole in the ozone layer

1985 is calling can you return their drama its way over due

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Normally, when someone tries to belittle and write-off such serious subjects as climate change and Covid, it's because they are scared and realise it is out of their control.
By making it all seem irrelevant and a lot of hot air, they manage to take control of it and so it's no longer something to be feared any more. And if they can dominate others to think the same then it also has the double affect that those around them think the same, thus reinforcing and reassuring their own, disingenuous, stance.
There's a lot of that going on here.
The deniers are usually the most scared and daren't admit that to themselves.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Noah warned everyone that disaster was coming. People laughed at him and called him a wako. Did nothing to help or save themselves, When the disaster began, they all decided too late, that they had been wrong.
We all know what happened.

Just a thought for those who think it's normal weather patterns, and laugh or deny those who are trying to warn them, that they realy need to "get on board"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE