Clay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Well I might be convinced to dig up a bag of the london clay stuff here. I'll discuss with the wife and see whether she minds the car being filled with large lumps of the stuff. I've only just about convinced her to come...

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I wouldn't want to bring enough clay for an oven all that way! Even if it were dry without the extra water

You could look up the local clay soures on geological maps and dig it from rivers. Or buy it from a builder merchants?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
my clay needs 1 part clay to 3 sand to make a mix so not as bad as you'd think. I probably only need 3 bags. Maybe 4. Hmm. Rather keep costs down if I'm doing it as a workshop.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
it's a foot stompin' event really... Maybe I'll just bring a spade and a suitable groundsheet, make everything there. If we can't find sand, we're doing something wrong. There's plenty of water, it's just the clay we need. It would be a bonus if anyone had any spare heat bricks going!

I've inboxed Tony. I'd probably like to do it same day as the basket weaving as the wife will be at that.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
it's a foot stompin' event really... Maybe I'll just bring a spade and a suitable groundsheet, make everything there. If we can't find sand, we're doing something wrong. There's plenty of water, it's just the clay we need. It would be a bonus if anyone had any spare heat bricks going!

I've inboxed Tony. I'd probably like to do it same day as the basket weaving as the wife will be at that.

What kind of workshop will you be running Tim? Something obviously to do with clay :) I'm really interested in this as I have been doing some pottery recently but I want to learn how to fire my pots in a primitive way.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Hi! It's a cooking oven as opposed to pottery - thinking we can have a go with pizzas or similar.

Dave, worse comes to worse I'll use a clay floor. They don't last but it's a temporary oven anyway.

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
Cat litter should work. You need the natural betonite clay or fullers earth type. It worked well for me in a homemade forge, should work in an oven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE