Primitive Tech Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
A few hours watching James Burkes "Connections" from the 1970s and now available on YouTube will, I think, meet your definition of a Tech Tree.
I’ve been trying to remember that program since this thread started and I couldn’t picture the presenter.
It was a good series. You couldn’t buy a smooth running petrol engine until someone saw a marsh gas pop gun. That one stuck with me

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have said about this before what skills do you need to advance?
To give an example, to make cord you need to be able to:
Identify certain plants
How to prepare them
How to twist fibres

You have to wonder were things like distaffs and spindles fit in as a next step and then you have rope making machines.

Navaja

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2016
Spain/UK
A few hours watching James Burkes "Connections" from the 1970s and now available on YouTube will, I think, meet your definition of a Tech Tree.

Funnily enough when I read TeeDee's opening post "Connections" came to mind. Brilliant series & the book is a good read even if not right up to present date.

Though maybe more up-to-date than your idea TeeDee the "connections" in each program (or chapter) usually start with a fairly early invention, the plough for example.

"Burke contends that one cannot consider the development of any particular piece of the modern world in isolation. Rather, the entire gestalt of the modern world is the result of a web of interconnected events"

Last edited:

Navaja

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2016
Spain/UK
Ok - lets spin it on its head.

Fantasy scenario - you are marooned in a wilderness location abundant with a range of normal resources but you have nothing apart from the unbreakable clothes on your back. ( The clothes and fabric can't be used )

What would be the first tool you make or thing you make?
And what would then be the 2nd thing?
And what would then be the 3rd thing?

In short what be your Tech Tree?

I've always assumed man's first tools as hammer then knife. A hammer because that's simply picking up a rock & then something sharp follows.
As for progression, "necessity is the mother of invention" so it's circumstance dependant.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE