Cheap "go to" gear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was wondering if you guys had any real "go to gear" that you never go out on a trip without that was cheap. You know the thing...a sort of thing bought for few pounds that ended up being really useful and pretty indispensable.

I guess one item might be a clipper or a cheap but reliable gas stove or perhaps a pair of socks that never lets you get blisters.

Anything at all that you know if it got lost or broken would get replaced without any hesitation. The item that is a contender for your best kit purchase but possibly got pipped by something a whole lot more expensive.

Bit of a time waster thread I know but I am curious to know what others have that is cheap but highly valued kit.

Just remembered another one I have. A Whitby small frame folding lock knife in gun metal grey that was £10 in the F&T sale. It matched my walking trousers at the time and could be clipped into a hard to spot open pocket but never came out and couldn't be spotted. I lost it when I took it out to wash and can't find the thing anywhere nor even it's replacement.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Swedish Army Trangia kit - Aluminium version. If I lost it I'd have to immediately replace it (probably from my stock of spares - well, they're no longer made and surely the back-log will run out eventually!).

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How cheap are they? Main trangias are about £60+ AFAIK but how much do military ones cost?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
How cheap are they? Main trangias are about £60+ AFAIK but how much do military ones cost?

You can pick them up for a tenner - but they're nothing like the civvy Trangias.

I never go anywhere without my cheap blue-flame lighter from Amber value. It was a quid, two or three years ago, including spare 20ml gas refill which I haven't even started on yet. Come to think of it the belt pouch I keep it in (together with a tiny Victorinox, a tiny LED torch wrapped in a microfibre cloth and a pair of tweezers) was almost more money than everything I keep in it.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
001-10.jpg

This, a much maligned Chinese axe. Used very frequently, well made and holds a razor edge. 6 éuros about 3 years ago in Spain. :)

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
My Regatta 35l daypack. Bought it for £6 about five years ago, and it has endured hard service without complaint ever since. A cheap as dirt piece of kit which turned out to be hard as nails and really well designed.
Regatta Daysack.jpg

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Aldi tactel lined walking socks for £2.50/ pair. My favourite socks. The expensive brand socks get left at home now.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It's amazing really that cheap can be so good compared to the likes of the £13 bridgedales/smartwools/thorlos of the world. I used to be all about you pays for what you get but now I know that you can get real quality design and manufacture in a neat little cheap form. Yes the £300+ UL tent might be well made and theoretically weigh 760g but the £15 litchfield or tiger paws weighing less than 1.5kg also works in practise and the balance of your money can be used to get drunk by a fire or for other gear as your want takes you.

I only got that message when IIRC John Manning did an article in the TGO magazine about lightweight not needing to cost the earth. Plus if it's truly cheap you won't mind modding it to meet your exact needs as a mess up only means another handful of tenners to replace!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I usually have my Opinel No.8 in a pack pocket somewhere, other cheap and reliable bits are my Lexan spoon (must be getting on for 15 years old now and still in one piece), Nalgene wide neck copy which regularly gets chucked in boats, on rocks, on beaches, in the mud etc etc, it also makes for a nice hot water bottle when it's cold enough, battered and bruised but still going strong.

A couple of clothing related items would be the army wool headover, once you get over the itchiness and it softens up, next would have to be my meraklon wristies. I've had them a couple of years now but only worn them regularly for the last twelve months or so, it's amazing what a difference they make when there's a chill.

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
A neoprene mp3 player case I got from the pound shop, I use it for my mobile. I keep meaning to replace it with something better as it can be a little annoying unzipping it all the time, but it has served its purpose and kept my phone in good order for almost a year.

Also a clipper lighter, £0.75 from the local cheap shop. Always have one with me as they are very robust.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Another one for me is my ancient blue Sigg bottle. There is something about the original blue ones (bought before they started selling those fancy new coloured ones). They take a battering and never fail. Or at least I've never had one fail yet. I used to keep mine in the bottom of my kayak when whitewater paddling. As I was learning it bore the brunt of my rock bashing paddling style. As I got better it got a reprieve but you always end up pounding the odd rock from time to time. They used to say that each dent on a Sigg tells a story to it's owner. They're like dents of honour. Sorry, getting all nostalgic for my old paddling days. Sitting round at lunch stops sipping from the sigg and eating sarnies then back on the river for some grade 3/4/5 fun. Good old days!

Shewie - carbon or SS blade on the Opinel?? I got the carbon as I wanted a change from all my SAKs. It is definitely stained and you do need to oil it to stop it sticking. Plus the locking ring. Nice and light knife IMHO and if you don't need a proper bushcrafting style knife then those opinels are quite handy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've still got my blue Sigg too, I had the plain steel fuel bottle from the same era until I gave it to a pal.

I think my Opinel is carbon, it takes a great edge and hangs on to it forever. Mine has always be a nightmare to open and close though, I was going to say mine has always been really stiff but Southey or Raikey would quote me on it :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
My Dog. It cost nothing from a cruel bunch who kept it locked behind a child gate in a kitchen. It gives me company, a sense of safety and a combined alarm clock / face wash every morning. Replacing her might be difficult though :)

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
my little opinel #4, i carry it most days so some time now and for under a fiver these are great little knives, although i mainly carry my vic explorer more these days, ive also a few cheap as chips chinese MXDL torches that work a treat ,

Randall

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2012
Peak District
I don't actually have one yet but I've used a Bahco Laplander saw and will certainly be buying mine soon. It was just fantastic and at <£15 it's very cheap.
Very light and robust too. Recommended by Ray Mears.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
After years of cheap headtorches I traded summat-or-other for a Petzl Tikka with a dodgy switch on the 'Gift-It-On' thread. Still going strong at every camp, with its single light setting and into its second year with me. It has influenced me to the extent that I recently bought a BNIB Tikkina for backup.

Noius

Mar 6, 2012
England
I know what you mean about the dog. If it wasn't for us getting a puppy I wouldn't out walking and enjoying the countryside. He's been great fun to have around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE