Charcoal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Well got me booked onto a charcoal making course, yes I know seen all the vids and read about it, but me I like to be more hands on with someone there pointing out.
And I am looking forward to it.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
there is an art and a science to making charcoal. I've had a fair number of 'professionals' supply me over the years (I use around 1000kg a year) and some are definately not worthy of the title in my opinion! The two chaps I use now are very good and one of them teaches charcoal making too.

Its well worth learning from somebody who understands how pyrolesis works and what is going on inside the kiln. I'm sure you'll learn a lot of new and interesting things (not least of all the strange places charcoal dust gets ;) ). Have fun!

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
It's good to learn how to make 'proper' charcoal, as Dave says some of it doesn't warrant the name.
I heat my boat with a charcoal stove and made the mistake of buying some charcoal made by beginners..it was scorched wood!!..:lmao::lmao:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I did a course with John Ryder a few years back and it was great fun. Once we clamped it off he taught us green woodworking while it cooled down. Learned a lot that weekend and had some good fun along the way.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
There are vivid descriptions of charcoal burners and charcoal burning in Athur Ransome's children's books, "Swallows and Amazons", and "Pigeon Post". In fact, I reckon most of his books contain some pretty good junior bushcrafting material. Well worth a read.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE