Cat amongst the pigeons....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What do you think about Football?

• Total voters

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Jon Pickett said:
Hey Bigman........In your first post you say you will watch the England games and then in this post, you say you only like to watch the final.
Surely you are not saying that England will be in the final ?.............Jon
bushcraftersfire4ah.gif

Sorry, I was referring to the Wimbledon post.

Well England have as much chance of winning the World Cup as I do winning the Lottery. :lmao:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Only a day to go :red: :lurk: :red: :beerchug: ...................Ole , Ole , Ole , Ole :D :D :D
Me and you'll be watching won't we Phil 562?

I'm not one of the neandertals by the way who sing IN-GER-LAND, IN-GER-LAND, IN-GER-LAND. and gets drunk and fights. It is possible to be a respectable person and like footie......... yer knah!!. :rant: ....... :D

Actually having lived in both places....... I'm hoping Japan and especially Germany do rather well. It really irritates me that certain elements of the press are STILL mentioning things to do with the war all these years later. Football in 2006 has nothing to do with any wars. Give them a break for heavens sake! (talking to the press there) they're trying to lay on a wonderful tournament and hopefully a happy and memorable one. Good luck to all 3 teams. :grouphug:

...........and then there was the American lady who when asked by a reporter what she thought of 'Maradonna' replied .......... 'I don't think some her lyrics are very appropriate'...................I saw that on TV the other night and it did make I laugh. :lmao: No offence to our American friends on here by the way.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Shambling Shaman said:
Ditto
Football a game for gentlelmen - played by animals
Rugby a game for anilmals - played by gentelmen.

Oh right......... Is that the same rugby played by 'gentlemen' who gouge, bite, stamp, fight amongst other things?....................Yes, yes...very genteel :rolleyes:
I'm not saying a bit of that dosn't go on in football, but I didn't make the comparison :) I happen to like rugby too. and my bushcraft (closely followed by sea fishing) is my favourite of all my pursuits but it is allowed to have more than one interest you know :p

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
falling rain said:
Football is the people's sport. Anyone can play it from the richest to the poorest. kids can have a kick about in the street, with any old ball (even a tennis ball which is what we used as kids) Coming from a poor family how could anyone get into the sports you mention above. It gives kids something to do, hurts no one, and keeps them busy and out of trouble.
I can't understand why darts or snooker are deemed as sports. Look at the size of some of those darts players. I'd hardly class them as sportsmen

Nope, yer still not selling it.

I have never had any interest whatsoever in those buddy type team sports, suppose I am not really a team player then, I have far more interest in sports where an individual does it though.

Tour De France being an exception to that as even for the best cyclists the team helps more than most people think.

I view football much as I do relegion, fine if you are interested in it but don't bang on my door and tell me about it ;)

Regards Scott :D

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Pappa said:
I get sick of all the local supermarkets filling their shelves with England flags, shirts, keyrings, bottle openers and all the other pointless World Cup tripe. I wouldn't mind if I was English, but I'm Welsh and I live in Wales. Why would any of us lot want to buy an England flag from the supermarket?

Pappa

Edward I springs to mind. The colonies should support their masters.:p

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hey, I found something REALLY REALLY good to come out of the World Cup!

Some stores are selling mini-football-shaped Coke bottles, 250ml. They seem to be meths proof and fit in a 12cm Zebra along with Coke can stove and pot rest. :D :lmao: :lmao:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I sat oposite a rabid football fan at work until fairly recently (just before the World Cup he moved to Atlanta :lmao: )

He was originally from Zambia and had very strong views about the West wasting money on war rather than paying to feed the world. I asked him how he felt about the money in Football. He said it was ALL justified, that it gave less advantaged people something to aspire to.

Um. We failed to convince each other. :rolleyes:

Can't wait for us to be knocked out of the contest. :p
I would love the USA to do well, just to show up the Europeans, but will be more than happy to hear about it second hand!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
demographic said:
Nope, yer still not selling it.

I have never had any interest whatsoever in those buddy type team sports, suppose I am not really a team player then, I have far more interest in sports where an individual does it though.

Tour De France being an exception to that as even for the best cyclists the team helps more than most people think.

I view football much as I do relegion, fine if you are interested in it but don't bang on my door and tell me about it ;)

Regards Scott :D

Not trying to sell anything. Each to their own. Personally motorbikes bore me, so does cycling and tennis, hitting a ball backwards and forwards dosn't get me going either. Though granted the ladies tennis I may make an exception for :p

I will agree with Chris though, they (footballers) do get paid far too much. I think I read Beckham gets around £70,000 a week let alone the sponsorship money deals :eek: Although come on........ you wouldn't mind a slice of it. I'd be a footballer for about 5 years then retire. I'd buy my own wood and live in Devon far off the beaten track, make home made wine, spend my days walking around the countryside, and doing bushcrafty things, fishing and generally living at a pace far slower than I'm forced to do now. And I'd travel to all those places I've always wanted to vist.

By the way what's the difference between a team sport and a 'buddy type team sport' as you mentioned. :confused:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Spacemonkey said:
Blooody can't stand it. Spent the last 2.5 years within 1/4 of a mile of the Arsenal stadium and on match days you can't park anywhere, and the noise was horrendous. Then they go and build the new one right slap bang next door!!! I mean... If i was interested I would have a great view, but as it is thoughts of catapults spring to mind. Then I moved to sunny Swindon.... right opposite the County Ground. For gawds sake....

I used to live near the Arsenal stadium too. I tried not to move my car on a match day or I would only be able to park in the "restricted on match day" zones. There was nowhere to park if you lost your space and you'd get a ticket if you parked anywhere else. :(

I thought I was the only person who couldn't stand watching football. Good to see I'm not alone, when I see the excessive amount of flags in people's gardens and on their cars and all the England tat in the supermarkets I feel like I must be some kind of alien for not liking it.

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
I'm currently sat in an office about 18' square with nine flags of St George (seven of which also tell me which country I'm living in) put up by a man who proffesses to dislike the game as much as I do :confused:

Then again he's also put up the Stars and Stripes and what looks to be the state flag of Wisconsin (although it could be of one of the other states, I'm no expert) and I didn't know they had a team in the competition. Shows you how much I know :confused: :confused:

To balance that out, one of the other guys has put up the Spanish National flag and what looks to be the flag of Grenada (the region of Spain) :confused: :confused: :confused:

The third office sharer won't put up the Nigerian flag because they're not playing but may put up the Ghanaian one :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Which leaves me wanting to hoist the Jolly Roger :eek:

How long have I got to put up with this? :aargh4:

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
falling rain said:
Oh right......... Is that the same rugby played by 'gentlemen' who gouge, bite, stamp, fight amongst other things?....................Yes, yes...very genteel :rolleyes:
I'm not saying a bit of that dosn't go on in football, but I didn't make the comparison :) I happen to like rugby too. and my bushcraft (closely followed by sea fishing) is my favourite of all my pursuits but it is allowed to have more than one interest you know :p
Thats them! but when they get court and told to get off the pitch................."sorry sir" and thay go. No crying No mates surounding the ref giving him S*** . :soapbox:
Realy sorry just do not have time for footballers or football. Each to his own :) If it flots your boat, go sail till your harts content.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Shambling Shaman said:
Thats them! but when they get court and told to get off the pitch................."sorry sir" and thay go. No crying No mates surounding the ref giving him S*** . :soapbox:
Realy sorry just do not have time for footballers or football. Each to his own :) If it flots your boat, go sail till your harts content.

Fair enough, we'll leave it there. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE