Carving knife in the hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
right then, so as far as i can tell, this is the final list:

1. craeg
2.Penvisser
3. Elma
4.Sparkplug
5.Black Sheep
6.Rosco
7.Launditch 1
8Jeannius
9. Broch

these are the people who've replied to my PM's, i can only assume that those who didn't reply have dropped out. will send some more follow up pm's but for now assume that this is everyone. you will get a pm soon with who you're sending your knife to.

Nathan

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
right then ladies and gentlemen! Toddy has very kindly done the draw for us and the list is now as follows:

1 to 6, Craeg to Rosco
2 to 7, Penvisser to Launditch1
3 to 8, Elma to Jeannius
4 to 9, Sparkplug to Broch
5 to 10, Black Sheep to NatG
6 to 2, Rosco to Penvisser
7 to 1, Launditch1 to Craeg
8 to 4, Jeannius to Sparkplug
9 to 5, Broch to Black Sheep
10 to 3, NatG to Elma

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Ok, Cheers nathan.
Jan I'll get my effort off as soon as you PM me your details.I hope:
A)you have big hands
B)I can get it through customs!
All the best to all involved, John

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Ok Jan (Penvisser) and I are sorted and details sent to Craeg ;so things well afoot.Look forward to seeing the results and hope I'm not embarassed. Regards again to all taking part.
John

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Ok mate,
look forward to seeing the fruits of your labour.There may be a delay in me posting on here as I'm in the hospital on monday for an operation.
Cheers John

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
Well it looks like I'm the first lucky recipient of a new edge courtesy of Craeg (hope mine's got to Holland, I sent it last Tuesday)
IMGP0002-6-1.jpg

I'll let Craeg himself describe it's construction though he did send me a detailed legend with the knife. I've got to say it's obvious he's put a lot of care and effort into this project and the tool he's produced feels "just right" in the hand.I have never used a Kolrosing knife before but craeg has thoughtfully printed off some instructions from the Pinewoodforge site and I think Wayland posted recently about the craft; so I will give it a go on a spoon or something and post the results here.
A big thankyou to Craeg from me, as I say you've obviously put a lot of effort in and I appreciate it.
Best regards John

P.S I found the drilling out to accept the tang the trickiest part too

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Sorry to hear that Jean.Waiting for knifemakers is like waiting for plumbers,or couriers...:rolleyes: :D
I snet mine to Craeg and he seemed pleased so im pleased!And i hear mine is winging its way to me as we speak...

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
I'd certainly be interested to see everyone's efforts, I thought that was the whole point.ie learn from one anothers experience of making.That said it's a few weeks since I posted off to Penvisser and haven't heard anything; hope it hasn't been intercepted by some sorting office tealeaf.
cheers John
I never took a pic of mine either..

Well, I had almost given up hope, and then this morning, there was a knock on the door, and the postman handed me a very exciting little package...

I am pleased as punch! It's a beautiful little knife, and seeing there was no return address on the packet, I can only assume that this was sent to me by Elma.

Thank you Ian - this is a delightful little user. I will add pics to this post just as soon as I get a chance. Oh - my day *IS* looking up. I really am pleased, and it was worth waiting for.

The knife measures just around 130mm in length, 4mm thick blade 25mm deep with a brown (is this Micarta?) handle. Lovely deep bevel and curved ricasso edge to the handle. Brass tubes which are also the pins.

Comes complete with a dinky little sheath, beautifully stitched and burnished on the edge. Can't wait to try it.
Thank you.

Now residing in the collection of Sparkplug:
My first ever knife...

It is made from an old file, 130mm in length with magnolia handles and red fibre liner.
Unfortunately I was telling off one of my kids at the time I was glueing, and so spread the resin on the wrong side of the handle. So I stuck it on anyway, as I didn't have enough resin mixed to put some more on the other side, and I needed to get the clamps on (5 min stuff). It's pretty anyway.

Seen from the top, you can see the problem I experienced with it. The blade had seemed fine before I started shaping the handle, and then went 'erk!' and devloped a warp.
I'll know for next time what to do when that happens. It's called a vice and three blocks of hard wood.

Pleased with it though. And yes - I have now been bitten by the bug. :)

JbT_knife1_3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE