Carving knife in the hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Considering the realitive success of the last kith, i thought it was about time to have another go. I see that there are lots of people on here who carve wood, some of them very well! I also noticed that a couple of people have been making their own knives.

so the idea is that everyone in the kith makes a woodcarving knife, be it a sloyd style or a hooked knife, a crooked knife, a tiny detail carver or a big roughing out knife. Anyone can enter, under 18s may be difficult but if the knife goes to your parent or guardian then it's up to them what they see as appropriate.

I think maybe 2 months would be a good timeframe for this? so call it the end of march cut off point?

Don't be shy if you've never made a knife before, or if you've never made a woodcarving knife, the important bit is the taking part and as long as you try then whoever gets your knife will be happy.

1. Nathan

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
Would love to be involved in this - but strangely enough the one thing i havnt really done much of is carving,( the 2nd is knifemaking) if it isnt a dumb question what constitutes a 'good' carving knife apart from its workability?!
also being a complete noob would it be fair for my efforts to be dumped onto to master?

sorry for the post but ive seen so many kiths on here and BB always fancied but never dared
cheers

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Would love to be involved in this - but strangely enough the one thing i havnt really done much of is carving,( the 2nd is knifemaking) if it isnt a dumb question what constitutes a 'good' carving knife apart from its workability?!
also being a complete noob would it be fair for my efforts to be dumped onto to master?

sorry for the post but ive seen so many kiths on here and BB always fancied but never dared
cheers

You don't need to worry about being a noob- that's part of it, even if Alan Wood or Guycep or anyone got your knife they'd be pleased to know that you put your effort into doing the best you could- it's more about the thought and the experience than anything else.

for inspiration look here:

http://www.northbayforge.com/
http://www.pinewoodforge.com/
http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-Carving-Knives-207918.htm

or a myriad of other places- maybe have a look at some of Robin Wood's posts about a carving knife he recently designed

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
as an example- the knives in this photo were made by me, and i have a couple ( 2) bits of suitable steel to give to people if they really feel they need it

DSCN0264.jpg

edit: and no one metion the spoons- they're not finished yet!

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
hmm ok ill have a crack at this if it isnt a problem being a noob, just hope it turns out to be usable lol ( and thanks for the links)

1. NatG
2. Rosco
3. Reddeath

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Yeah go on, me too. Been wanting an excuse to make another knife for a while lol.

What's the rules? Make the blade from scratch? recycled materials 'steel'? any ideas anyone?

cheers, Davie

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Yeah go on, me too. Been wanting an excuse to make another knife for a while lol.

What's the rules? Make the blade from scratch? recycled materials 'steel'? any ideas anyone?

cheers, Davie

Well, I don't know about the others but I'll be using whatever I can find in the workshop. I may well make more than one knife though (a small carving set) for different purposes so some will be from steel stock, others from recycled and I'm playing with the idea of using old HSS drill bits to make kolrosing knifes, so I might throw one of those in the hat as well. We'll see. No promises yet.

Eric

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
oh and launditch 1 are you a scatha fan by anychance?

what do you want for it? i'd love some:)

as to the specifics:

ity doesn't really matter- be it from recycled or new steel, a blade blank or salvaged from some other knife. Just as long as you have made the majority, so it would be ok to buy a blade, handle it and send it on, but a whole bought knife might be a bit of a no no.

Nathan

cool right the deal with antler is this i need to find out postage rates for the stuff and how to package iti dont really want anything for it and although its not the hardest stuff to come by in my locale but a paracord bracelet would please this aul' heathen....and launditch sedition are oot an aboot again if ye want me to send the dates...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE