Carving knife in the hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Please exuse my ignorance, being a newbie to all this 'communal' bushcrafting, but how does this work? Who judges and how do they see the work?

To be honest all my work tends to be 'practical' and far from pretty. I'm in awe at some of the true craftsmanship I have seen on this forum in the last couple of weeks! Hats off to you guys and gals.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Please exuse my ignorance, being a newbie to all this 'communal' bushcrafting, but how does this work? Who judges and how do they see the work?

To be honest all my work tends to be 'practical' and far from pretty. I'm in awe at some of the true craftsmanship I have seen on this forum in the last couple of weeks! Hats off to you guys and gals.

what happens is that at the edn of the allotted time an impartial person randomly mixes up the list this is normally a moderator on whatever forum the kith is happening on.

at the end of the kith you get sent an address and you send your knife to the address, someone else gets sent your address and yours goes to them. It's basically a big swap around.

don't worry about your work looking "practical" i like that sort of look, it's better than mine- all mine just looks ugly!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, now it all makes sense! In fact, re-reading the previous posts it's all obvious (i.e. all the bits about someone else getting the knife!!!)

Go on, I'll have a go.

Cheers.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
What a great idea!

I'm a complete novice, never made a knife and don't really even know how to go about turning a bit of steel into a blade.

But I'm up for giving it a go! (apologies in advance to whoever ends up with mine :D )

A really good way to focus the mind on a project and to a deadline.

Any tips gratefully recieved!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
There is a wealth of information the 'tinterweb' about knife making,hardening,tempering ect...
One easy(!!)way is to forge a blade from an old file,it must be an old file though as most modern ones are just case-hardened.
How many people in this kith have made a knife before?

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Well, I don't know about the others but I'll be using whatever I can find in the workshop. I may well make more than one knife though (a small carving set) for different purposes so some will be from steel stock, others from recycled and I'm playing with the idea of using old HSS drill bits to make kolrosing knifes, so I might throw one of those in the hat as well. We'll see. No promises yet.

Eric

Eric, whats a kolrosing knife if you dont mind me asking?

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Hmm... forging?

I just got a bit of offcut stainless from a local ironworks on my way home and was going to grind it. I don't have the facilities to do anything more advanced - just some basic tools and some half reasonable sharpening stones.

I've also dug out a bit of apple or plum (can't remember which it was now) wood for the handle (and some bits of pine to practice with)

If there's concern at too many first timers then I'll happily bow out - I've got what I need to 'have a go' so I'll make something anyway with thanks to NatG for the inspiration.

I don't want to lower the standard and put the more experienced off the idea for fear of receiving some rubbish!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
I only asked how many had made one before because i was just curious!I didnt say it to put anyone off and im sorry if i came across that way.If anyone wants any help youve only got to ask.The spirit of the KITH(as i see it)is just to have a go at it and see what happens.*red faced smilie here*

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
there's lots of ways of making them- forging can be done but i'd definitely reccommend that people start with stock removal unless they're got alot of experience with forging. I've never really forged anything so i don't really know how hard it is other than being pretty sure it's harder than stock removal.

I'd be wary of using stainless for a couple of reasons, firstly iy can be a right bitch to drill, grind etc. and secondly if it isn't already heat treated properly then it can be very difficult to do so in a home workshop, and if it is already heat treated properly it will be almost impossible to shape.

My reccommendation would be for a piece of simple carbon steel which has been or can easily be annealed, old saw blades are good, though be careful here as many can be too thin, or can have mild steel "bodies" where only the cutting teeth are hard enough to take an edge. Also good are old files, look out for nicholson files which i know to be of good steel.

However, infinitely prefferrable to recycled steel would be a simple piece of o1 from cromwells or ebay. The steel comes nice and flat and straight, precision ground an most importantly, soft enough to be worked with relative ease.

I don't want to put anyone off because it is definitely possible to make blades from salvaged materials, if you want to have a go and use a file, then by all means do!

if there are any specific questions feel free to pm me, i haven't got a great deal of experience but i'm good at googling and i've done quite a bit of research:)

Nathan

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Eric, whats a kolrosing knife if you dont mind me asking?

This. It's used to make fine patterned cuts in wood, ito which you rub a powder such as coffee grounds, then oil to seal it in. It gives a very fine controlled cut and allows you to swivel the knife so you can get tight turns.

KOL-Knife.jpg

It's used to make these.

prodimage_1260.jpg

The knife in the bottom image can be made (stock removal method) from an old HSS twist drill. The advantage of having a rounded back to the blade is it's easier to push away through the wood with your thumb - giving much greater control of the cut. You hold the handle upright with your other hand and swivel it between your fingers when you want to change direction smoothly On both knives, the curved edge is the cutting edge and because it's so thin, it parts the wood rather than removes it as in chip carving.

Eric

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
I'll be using a bought blade this time as I don't have time to educate myself in tempering, hardening etc.. for this kith; I will have a go some time in the future though.
Cheers John

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Appreciate the advice re: blade material.
I'd still like to give it a go but may have a bought blade as a backup!

*edit* just to clarify - that's a yes for the updated list!

and

apologies to launditch1 if I made you feel guilty. :)

It was my own insecurity as a total novice - I'd like to have a go, but I don't want to lower the standard. I was just seeking some reassurance that it really was in the spirit of the kith - I've never even heard of one before so just didn't want to rock the boat. Sorry if I made it sound like you were 'having a dig' I didn't think you were, but I just wanted to make sure it was OK.

I'll stop blathering now :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE