Carrying a crooked knife in the field?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I use twistpacks, plastic tubes in two halves that screw together.
IM0002361.jpg

I bought a job lot so if you want a couple let me know.

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
I use twistpacks, plastic tubes in two halves that screw together.
IM0002361.jpg

I bought a job lot so if you want a couple let me know.

I have been thinking the same thing and have been wondering about making a leather pouch but I am yet to think of a suitable way to protect the blade without the handle slipping out of the pouch, so I might just make a full cover for it.

My crooked knife won't fit in a 35mm film canister as it is too large a curve on the blade, and I don't see how those twist packs would work?

I was thinking of using a length of garden hose but it isn't flexible enough to slide over the blade.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Here's a pic of mine in use, I had thought of replicating it in leather or covering the plastic.
twistpack-1.jpg

There is a frosts in one and the other holds one of Duncans fine examples.
I have been thinking about getting hold of the 50mm size as well. Usefull for slightly more bulky items.
twistpack-2.jpg

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
or buy frosts more leather sheath and force your knife in leave if for three weeks pull out sharpen or strop if damaged (mine wasnt) and then you have a nice proper knife sheath for you crook knife admitedly not all crook knifes will fit of course but mine does

drew

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
You could opt for one of these:

spoonknife1.JPG

from here Click on pouches and scroll down a bit.

I won one, along with a crook knife, in a comp a couple of months ago and the crook sheath / pouch is great.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I had a similar idea for mine but have a loop fitted to the block of wood for it to be slid onto a belt. The handle would hang downwards. Seemed a logical thing to do but I recently traded the knife one and gave up on the idea.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I like the idea of the plastic screw tubes, but... well call me old-fashioned but they look so... plasticiky. It's a great idea, don't get me wrong and it's safe and secure. But I think I'd like something a little more eco friendly and "earthy" Being a bit one with nature rather than going against it, y'know? A leather sheath for your bushcraft knife seems nicer that having a Kydex one for this very reason.

kasakaa

Jun 23, 2010
England
i've seen pipe lagging (is that what its called? thick foam tube with a slit down one side to stop pipes freezing in winter) used before. Simple and effective, but not very elegant! :)

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I protect crook-knife blades by winding a strip of leather around them. An off cut of thin leather a couple of mm wider than the blade is what you need and maybe a foot long. Hold the knife in one hand and grip one end of the leather strip with your thumb under the handle. Run the strip up the blade, over the top and then kink it off to one side. Then wind it around the blade 'mummy-style' and finish by tucking the strip thru' itself (like you would to finish off hanked cord). Easier to do than explain in words. Ben Orford supplies his crook/spoon knives like this and I've adopted it for my others. Not quite as neat as a sheath, but effective and easy.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I protect crook-knife blades by winding a strip of leather around them. An off cut of thin leather a couple of mm wider than the blade is what you need and maybe a foot long. Hold the knife in one hand and grip one end of the leather strip with your thumb under the handle. Run the strip up the blade, over the top and then kink it off to one side. Then wind it around the blade 'mummy-style' and finish by tucking the strip thru' itself (like you would to finish off hanked cord). Easier to do than explain in words. Ben Orford supplies his crook/spoon knives like this and I've adopted it for my others. Not quite as neat as a sheath, but effective and easy.

I do the same, thin long strip of leather wrapped around the blade then finish with a bit of what ever cordage you just made.

Sep 24, 2005
Aberdeenshire
Try using a section of document binder spine. The blue or black stuff you get that holds a ream of documents together. Just stick it in boiling water to soften it up & slip it over the edge of the knife while hot. Once it cools, it'll retain the shape, now just cut off any excess & you're good to go. Doesn't look very 'bushy' tho...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE