Caretaker of the "Pass it on" kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Bushcraft is about getting what we need from nature and relying more on knowledge and experience than kit. As most of us have found out, to get that knowledge and experience we need kit. To learn which kit suits us we need to try a lot of different kit. A lot of kit takes a lot of money and in these times many have little and some simply have none.
It’s all a bit of a catch 22.

Bushcraft is also a spirit!
To use nature but not to mis-/over-/abuse it.
To pass on what we have learned as others have passed their knowledge to us.
To take care of each other the same way we take care of nature.

“Kit” is essentially just a vessel which contains knowledge, experience and the ability to get into the spirit of Bushcraft.

I not only have more kit than I need, I have more kit than I can use.
So this is what I have decided to do with it:

From my excess I have put together a “basic starter kit” and the beginning of an “arctic kit”.
I will send these, at no cost, to the first of what I hope to be a long line of “caretakers”.

This is the agreement:

- As caretaker you do not own the kit, you have not borrowed the kit. You are taking care of it until you pass it on to the next caretaker.

- You are to use the kit. When you have gotten the knowledge and experience out of it that you needed to get your own, or find that you at the moment are not able to use it, then pass it on. You can always ask to be caretaker again at a better time.

- You will improve the kit before you pass it on. This can be by repairing something, adding or upgrading an item or simply adding instructions for something that can inspire the next person.

- You will add something to the “caretaker’s logg”!
This is a note book. In it you are to write something to amuse, teach or inspire those who come after you. Share a lesson you learned, a tip on how to do or make something, a poem, a story (not necessarily true), a drawing. Something for others to read by the campfire and to keep sharing the knowledge and spirit of Bushcraft.

The (first*) basic kit contains at the moment:
- Fiskars ax
- Mora clipper knife
- Basic Trangia stove with meths burner and gasburner
- Two Trangia stainless/aluminium pots
- Swed army nesting cutlery
- Plastic kuksa
- A couple of magnesium block fire steels
- A Silva compass
- Maglight with belt holder
- Multitool with belt pouch
- Foldable spade
- A few feet of Para cord
- First aid bandage
- A caretaker’s logg

cnqe.jpg

The (first*) arctic kit is for those who want to have a go at the snow and cold!

At the moment it contains:
- Karrimor condor high volume, heavy duty rucksack
- Swed army folding shovel with additional snow blade
- Arctic style head lamp with battery pouch for under clothes carry
- Swed army shell mittens with removable lining and harness
- Emergency waterproof storm matches
- Caretaker’s logg

nvqz.jpg

* My hope is that others can chip in with an item or two and that we will eventually have several kits being passed around and more people actually getting out there.

What is missing right now is obviously a small backpack for the basic kit. Anyone have something lying in the shed?

Use it, take care of it, pass it on, share what you learned!
Who will be the first caretaker?

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Very grand idea , perhaps we should do a junior kit , where young uns can benefit ?

If Woden Wills It , then it will be so

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Thanks for the positive response!
Although I can't help but notice the rather short list of caretakers so far.
Are you people to honest and think that there must be someone who needs it more then I do?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Are you people to honest and think that there must be someone who needs it more then I do?

It's a lovely idea. I think lot of people don't need it as you say, also the cost of posting it all on may be putting some folks off?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
This is a great post; very well intentioned and definitely in the spirit of positive action. I hope that somebody starting out will see it and make use of it, I've lost count of the posts aking for advice on kit from young 'uns starting out. I know I would have found this useful back in the day.

Postage might well be expensive, but cheaper than making the mistake of spending on the wrong gear, and cheap really when you consider it as the price of the use of a set of gear for as long as you'd need to work out what suits............

I've got a couple of decent 30-ish L packs and I'd be happy to donate one for use in this venture.

Once again, I love the positivity of this offer and if I can help I will; thanks for the gesture, I'm sure someone will make use of it..........................atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Husky,

I too think it would be a great idea.

But I think the lack of response stems from people including myself seeing it as a logistical nightmare. The collating then maintaining of kit, the sending it out, policing it, making sure it's returned, how long is it acceptable for some-one to keep something, what if multiple people need it, what repercussions if any for destruction or non-return of kit.

Often volunteers don't want to make policy decisions and deal with difficult situations. It usually takes a good bit of vision and a lot of drive to set schemes like these up which although we have in spades here, a lot of folk may not have the associated time to go with them.

Just a thought,
ATB,
GB.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm afraid I have to agree with much of what you say, GB, and I find it depressing that it is so; I can't help initial enthusiasm and optimism for ideas like this but the reality soon creeps in after a little thought........

But every now and then, well whaddya know? - Big Surprise!.......................................Here's hoping.....................atb mac

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Husky,

I too think it would be a great idea.

But I think the lack of response stems from people including myself seeing it as a logistical nightmare. The collating then maintaining of kit, the sending it out, policing it, making sure it's returned, how long is it acceptable for some-one to keep something, what if multiple people need it, what repercussions if any for destruction or non-return of kit.

Often volunteers don't want to make policy decisions and deal with difficult situations. It usually takes a good bit of vision and a lot of drive to set schemes like these up which although we have in spades here, a lot of folk may not have the associated time to go with them.

Just a thought,
ATB,
GB.
Perhaps I misunderstand you, or you have misunderstood me?
I do not mean for anyone to "police" the gear. Only to use it, take care of it as if it was your own and when you are finished with it, send it to someone else.
If multiple people need it, then each one in turn. If it is used until it breaks? Perfect! It is meant to be used.
If someone takes it to the pawn shop? To bad. But the spirit in which it is given has a tendency to spark a feeling of honesty and good intention.
Maybe I made it sound like an undertaking to accept the kit? What I mean is there are no strings attached. None.
I will give the kit to you if you promise to give it to someone else after a few months. Thats all.

The repairing and sharing of lessons learned is just meant as a bit of fun and inspiration. Sharpen the ax? Put a lanyard on the knife? Anything or nothing is just fine!

How much can it cost to post the kit within the UK? As much as a new Mora knife?

Last edited:

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
I could really use artic gear, I was just about to go but some of that. Off to Norway with a old buddy soon so it would really come in handy. If its ok.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Perhaps I misunderstand you, or you have misunderstood me?
I do not mean for anyone to "police" the gear. Only to use it, take care of it as if it was your own and when you are finished with it, send it to someone else.
If multiple people need it, then each one in turn. If it is used until it breaks? Perfect! It is meant to be used.
If someone takes it to the pawn shop? To bad. But the spirit in which it is given has a tendency to spark a feeling of honesty and good intention.
Maybe I made it sound like an undertaking to accept the kit? What I mean is there are no strings attached. None.
I will give the kit to you if you promise to give it to someone else after a few months. Thats all.

The repairing and sharing of lessons learned is just meant as a bit of fun and inspiration. Sharpen the ax? Put a lanyard on the knife? Anything or nothing is just fine!

How much can it cost to post the kit within the UK? As much as a new Mora knife?

Hi Husky,

The way you want to do it sounds great and I really do hope it works. If I sounded negative I didn't mean to, I was just trying to explain why maybe more hadn't come forward as I didn't really understand the way you wanted to do things. Also through my old job I used to hire and lend gear out to folk and the way it was often abused and mistreated used to break my heart as I like to look after kit. Though I'm sure the average bushcrafter should be better than that.

ATB,
GB.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
If I sounded negative I didn't mean to
Not at all! I took your post as a possible misunderstanding and am grateful if it I have cleared it up.
I just think that if I keep the stuff in a cupboard or throw it away, nobody benefits.
If I give it to someone, one person benefits. By trying this then perhaps a few more can benefit. If three people get into bushcraft by using this kit then I consider it money well spent.

I would be grateful if you all could keep an eye out for someone who might make good use of it and give them, or me, a tip.
The thread title is perhaps not the most catching for a beginner to read...

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
John, you are very welcome to it!
PM me your adress and I will send it after the weekend.
Nice blog by the way!

/Husky

Thanks a lot, thanks for reading the blog I have to update it, it's been awhile, been very busy with life in general !! Pm inbound

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
Bushcraft is about getting what we need from nature and relying more on knowledge and experience than kit. As most of us have found out, to get that knowledge and experience we need kit. To learn which kit suits us we need to try a lot of different kit. A lot of kit takes a lot of money and in these times many have little and some simply have none.
It’s all a bit of a catch 22.

Bushcraft is also a spirit!
To use nature but not to mis-/over-/abuse it.
To pass on what we have learned as others have passed their knowledge to us.
To take care of each other the same way we take care of nature.

“Kit” is essentially just a vessel which contains knowledge, experience and the ability to get into the spirit of Bushcraft.

I not only have more kit than I need, I have more kit than I can use.
So this is what I have decided to do with it:

From my excess I have put together a “basic starter kit” and the beginning of an “arctic kit”.
I will send these, at no cost, to the first of what I hope to be a long line of “caretakers”.

This is the agreement:

- As caretaker you do not own the kit, you have not borrowed the kit. You are taking care of it until you pass it on to the next caretaker.

- You are to use the kit. When you have gotten the knowledge and experience out of it that you needed to get your own, or find that you at the moment are not able to use it, then pass it on. You can always ask to be caretaker again at a better time.

- You will improve the kit before you pass it on. This can be by repairing something, adding or upgrading an item or simply adding instructions for something that can inspire the next person.

- You will add something to the “caretaker’s logg”!
This is a note book. In it you are to write something to amuse, teach or inspire those who come after you. Share a lesson you learned, a tip on how to do or make something, a poem, a story (not necessarily true), a drawing. Something for others to read by the campfire and to keep sharing the knowledge and spirit of Bushcraft.

The (first*) basic kit contains at the moment:
- Fiskars ax
- Mora clipper knife
- Basic Trangia stove with meths burner and gasburner
- Two Trangia stainless/aluminium pots
- Swed army nesting cutlery
- Plastic kuksa
- A couple of magnesium block fire steels
- A Silva compass
- Maglight with belt holder
- Multitool with belt pouch
- Foldable spade
- A few feet of Para cord
- First aid bandage
- A caretaker’s logg

cnqe.jpg

The (first*) arctic kit is for those who want to have a go at the snow and cold!

At the moment it contains:
- Karrimor condor high volume, heavy duty rucksack
- Swed army folding shovel with additional snow blade
- Arctic style head lamp with battery pouch for under clothes carry
- Swed army shell mittens with removable lining and harness
- Emergency waterproof storm matches
- Caretaker’s logg

nvqz.jpg

* My hope is that others can chip in with an item or two and that we will eventually have several kits being passed around and more people actually getting out there.

What is missing right now is obviously a small backpack for the basic kit. Anyone have something lying in the shed?

Use it, take care of it, pass it on, share what you learned!
Who will be the first caretaker?
I have a camo NI Dpm patrol pack you can have it you like,

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I think its a great idea! having the chance to try out gear before i bought my own and get an idea of what will work for me wouldve been something i wouldve jumped at the opportunity of when i first started years ago, having gone through various bits of kit over the years I have spent a fortune lol! If it helps i have a British army tarp I can donate to the cause if you want it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE