Canoes..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
My Brother inlaw is a Pro paddler with lots of sponsorship lots of his friends are too they will be retiring all there '04 boats in the new year if you decide what you want let me know if not i'll keep my eye out for any boat going and let you know

J*
:eek:):

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
tomtom said:
So what boat do you have?
Do you like it?
How much was it?
Why did you chose it?
Where did you get it?

Ally 16,5' Down River (DR) model ! (have used Klepper's in the army, they are good too).
I love Ally (don't tell me wife !!)
Was sponsored with the canoe and additional equipment, so I don't know how much. Looking at prices I'd say about 14.000,- Norwegian kroner for canoe, splashcover and all the rest.
Chose it on personal experience with loaned Ally canoes and recommendations from several expedition padlers (a couple of whom have used the same Ally canoe on 6 trips down Albany River, Thalon River etc in North America / Canada). Have seen Ally canoes surviving rapids which completely flattened Gruman and Incas aluminum canoes.
Got it directly from the manufacturer.

Brainflex

Nov 6, 2004
Anyone used the inflateable canoes ? Do you know where I can get one ?
I used one regularly in Oz but have not seen them in the UK.Space issues prevent a full size canadian.

Brainflex

Nov 6, 2004
Just picked up a copy of Paddles canoe/kayak magazine I found in the newsagent and there are loads of ads in it.
Also available is a SEASAFETY DVD available free from seasafety@rnli.org.uk.
Just mention Paddles mag.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
Okay, I admit it we're a bit over the top in our family but 4 of us paddle ( 3 of us more than the youngest son)

As a result we own 3 Open boats in the family :shock:

We've got a Pyranha Prospector in Royalex

An Old Town Discovery 158

A Mad River explorer 14ft (Owned and paid for by my son!!)

The two bigger boats all paddle well solo or doubles, but our experience of paddling the Explorer double is limited coz our son never gets out of it!

The Disco is a very solid boat - I did my 3* and Canoe Safety test in one, but the prospector is a joy - light and responsive.

We bought the Prospector 2nd Hand for around £500, but the Disco and Explorer were new, both around the 500 mark.

The trouble with buying second hand is that Open Boats are a bit like hens teeth... Just look out and be lucky.

I like the idea of a meet - trouble is we're always so busy but if the time is right we'll try to get there.

Graham.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Sorry I didn't catch this post earlier I use to sell new and used canoes I have been paddling for over 22 years now the first thing I use to do when dealing with a customer was ask what water they were paddling. The next bit of information I use to get was duration of trips and loads in the canoe.
As Hoodoo said each design has a purpose my boat is a combo boat it is a Swift Domine made for river tripping. River Trippers deal well with white water but keep in mind that there might be lake to cross on the journey. My boat is asymmetrical in design with a kneeling thwart it is a rounded VA hull and as no bilge pockets because it is made from Royalex. It is a heavy lay up weighing 65 lbs for durability and has no keel but does have a keel line. On the rocker end it would be considered moderate to high with a 3" bow rocker and a 2" stern. It also has a mid measure meant of of 37" and a depth of 15" making it a good tripper for load carrying. Overall length is 16'4" it is a heavy boat to some but because of its weight and the fact it has a low bow and stern profile it can cross big windy water with moderate loads. The lower bow profile is compensated for in white water with 2 features first it is a flared front end and secondly it is asymmetrical giving it a good pivot point to avoid squalling which you British sailors should know about.
All these features are in the boat to make it usable for it intended use so that why I always ask details about the water to be paddled.

Abe

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
get a prospector the design is ideal for us bushcraft types there s loads of different manufacturers the more you pay the lighter they are . they can all be paddled singlehanded or why not make one you can get plans from selway fisher design you can make a good one in about a week

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just bought a canadian canoe, pick it up next weekend, and then get it on the river by us. It's a slow running river that looks quite nice from what I've seen of it, the weather is good for it at the moment, so that's that!!

I'm really excited!!! :D

Spamel

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
sounds great mate had a good paddle yesturday with hobbit the tide was slack so water was smooth did about 4 miles we have sit on top sea kayaks well good fun and if hobbit can handle one they most be easy she is only ten :)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Might I suggest a Folding Kayak? These are readily available second hand from Germany (do a search for "faltboot" on ebay.de).
I got one for 400 euros including postage from the old East Germany.
A good cheap model is the Pouch RZ85.
I find assembly and disassembly a pain but they claim that with experience 2 people can assemble one in a half hour.
If anyone needs any help with translations give me a shout.

I've wanted to get ino paddling for a while now but I've always been held back because of transporting a canoe on a motorbike :eek: Over the last couple of days, I've been looking at inflatables and realised that they're not always the beach toys I'd assumed they would be. Does anyone have any experiances with inflatables? Are they worth the dosh? I'm certainly not looking at them because they're cheap (some of them are around the two grand mark!!) but for transportability and I's be interested in your comments

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
MBM

I believe there is a good canoe shop in Bournemouth itself which sells an inflatable canoe by Stearns for around £ 350. It weighs around 20 kg though so I don't know if biking it around would be feasible?! I too would be keen to hear peoples' opinions as I have been tempted to get one myself.

Regards

Bob :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE