Canoes..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

CatFisH

Bob Hurley said:
Probably not suitable for your needs but I have a Copperhead pirogue by Ron Chapman. They're kinda scary for new canoeists, but the whitewater guides that have tried mine love it - even though whitewater is the last place you'd want to take it.

http://www.pirogue.com/

I'd like to have one of his Evangeline canoes for larger loads, the little Copperhead isn't really big enough for two people.

Bob...I got the King pirogue from Ron Chapman...a bit bigger than yours but still a great way to slide thru the swamp...I agree that it isnt for whitewater with the flat bottom but it'll float on a heavy dew...

pirogue1.jpg

pirogue1R.jpg

Cypress.jpg

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I saw one (boxed) in Reeds Of Cambridge on saturday. I think it was by Old Town, about £270 plus paddles and pump, looked pretty good judging by the piccy on the box. Link below.

http://www.reedsofcambridge.co.uk/

All these piccies make my pottering about the cam in an old dancer look pretty boring I must say!

Dave

Ive just bought an Old Town Guide 147 - it should be delivered in the next couple of days.
I did a lot of research before I made my decision and the Guide seemed right for me - to be honest cost was the major limiting factor for me.
The following site gave me some good info.
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/
I also wanted a boat that I could paddle solo but occasionally have someone else along. I only plan to use it on lakes and very slow flowing rivers - if you plan on white water then I dont think the Guide would do the job, not as well as some others anyway.

WARNING - Rant ahead :eek:
What really gets my goat is that a boat that sells for £600 plus in the UK sells for about $530 (£290) in the US. Someone is taking the p*** here.

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
ok ... I admit that these are probably of no use whatsoever towards the original question, but as there are already a couple of pictures, I guess a few more won't hurt from various trips...

0.jpg

22.jpg

20092003_7.jpg

20092003_11.jpg

Both boats are Old Town Disco's, and they have more than proved their worth over the last few years - They are very capable, trustworthy and adaptable boats in my experience. Yeah, so maybe they are bit heavy, and catch the wind more than *some* boats, but the payoff is in shelter and stability, (just get fitter !).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I know what you mean...

Just about to splash out on a Mad River Explorer 15 RX with Wooden gunwales,

Best UK Price - £1199

Average US Price £450 - ish

PS

Nice pics

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
Good piccies, and you're right the Disco's are bomb proof - we've just sold one because we bought a Dagger Reflection 15 in Royalex, second hand, and really didn't need 4 Open boats :eek:

Graham.

fungy

Jun 15, 2005
york
trying to get into paddling myself, found one in Trail mag ,it's infatable but looks bombproof may have to purchase one. the site is www.nauticalia.com it's called a infatable kayak but it has a open top and can be paddled solo and heres the clincher £179 sounds quite good to me. :cool:

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
fungy said:
trying to get into paddling myself, found one in Trail mag ,it's infatable but looks bombproof may have to purchase one. the site is www.nauticalia.com it's called a infatable kayak but it has a open top and can be paddled solo and heres the clincher £179 sounds quite good to me. :cool:

This type of inflatable kayak (tahiti) is really only a beach toy. Fine for having fun a few yards from shore on a windless day or if theres an onshore wind.
They are very difficult to paddle in a straight line and if theres an offshore wind you could find yourself being blown out to sea faster than you can paddle back.

However, given its limitations you can get on the water and have fun for a low price.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I've been using a Sevylor Tahiti Ranger for the last couple of months and would rate it as more than a beach toy.

sportsmerchants2_1857_14913326

Last weekend a friend and I(he has one too) were on Loch Fyne(sea loch). On the way out there was a fair breeze(about 10knots max) blowing offshore and slightly from behind. The wind did catch the kayaks but would have had to be much stronger before there would have been any danger of not being able to paddle back to shore.(on Loch Lomond a few weeks before we were able to cross the loch at it's widest against a far stronger wind - coming back was a laugh:))

At Loch Fyne we ended up moving about 300m offshore to get out into steady wind. In at the coast the wind was unpredictable, gusting down valleys and round headlands and generaly just being a bit irritating.

On the way back the breeze had dropped to about about 3-5knots and travelling straight into it was plain sailing at an effortless 3mph(for 2 hours). Had the wind not dropped we planned to come out with it to a pick-up point round on the Mull of Kintyre but as it was getting back to the truck was a doddle.

The wee things were quite heavily loaded with 2 large rucksacks, a tent and assorted gubbins in each. There were other pals with us who were able to walk along the(very rugged) shore because we were transporting their gear for them. With a rucksack on traversing that stretch of shoreline is quite dangerous and exhausting.
Even with all that load the inflatables still felt stable.

As for rivers, we haven't got round to attacking any yet but it's on the cards. Sevylor inflatables are quite popular in whitewater circles, many adventure centres use them and I have no doubt that this one will give hours of mild whitewater frolicks.
The Ranger model has a protective cover made of heavy duty gortex-like material and I must admit I'd feel a little wary of running over rocks without it, but the "orange torpedo"(the standard one-man tahiti) has been shooting rapids around the world for decades so maybe they're tougher than I'm giving them credit for.

Another plus for the Ranger model are the two tracking fins built into the cover. Without them the kayak wants to wander around aimlessly and I believe a rudder is essential for open water use with the normal Tahitis.

Packed up the whole affair(including paddles and footpump) fits into a 70litre rucksack. There's no way I could carry it on my bike as I have a single seat unit which limits me to a 45litre pack. Without the cover it would probably fit and the orange torpedo would easily be transportable. The piccies I've seen of it packed up looked like about a 30litre pack. The poles for the paddle could maybe be tricky to as they'd be bouncing off your helmet unless positioned far enough back or bungied onto the bike.
The plasticwork for the paddle, the pump and repair kit would all fit into a tank bag no problem.
Weight would be fine. I've carried about climbing gear that weighed more.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to make out that inflatables are as proficient as solid-hulled kayaks, they're not, not by a long shot - but for £180 and considering that I don't have any storage for a real canoe I'm well chuffed with the Ranger.

Josh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE