canoeing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A question,.....
If for instance you are living in canada,which i believe has vast lakes and streams,and you decide to travel along a waterway to reach a destination,how do you get back to where you started from ?Would you have to travel back along the river you came along or would there be other rivers to take you back?Am i right to say you travel with the current and not against it?...cheers :confused:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
That is a very good question and I'd be interested to hear from our colonial friends about the answer. Looking at Sigurd Olson's books, it appears that many of the waterways are lakes (with negligible current) and relatively small lengths of moving water connecting them.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hi :)
that is a good one, i assume that the voyageur canoes would have to be two way traffic, but i'm only guessing,with alot more portage going back. In song of the paddle there is a small reference to taking a voyageur canoe up the nahanni river to virginia falls, against an 8 to 10 mph (12 to 16 kmh) current.

happy camper said:
hi :)
that is a good one, i assume that the voyageur canoes would have to be two way traffic, but i'm only guessing,with alot more portage going back. In song of the paddle there is a small reference to taking a voyageur canoe up the nahanni river to virginia falls, against an 8 to 10 mph (12 to 16 kmh) current.
what is the song of the paddle? :)

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
"song of the paddle:an illustrated guide to wilderness camping" is a book by bill mason, (isbn 1-55263-579-1). Its a superb book with loads of info. about canoe camping and expeditions in general. i'm pretty sure its been mentioned on bcuk a few times if you do a search. Its absolutely ideal, very practical, and very inspirational if you've got a canoe or want a canoe, but it's still good if you're interested in wild camping in general (but be prepared to add canoe to your "must haves" list if you get it :D)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It's certainly not unusual for people to paddle upstream against the current. Very common among trappers and prospectors. They pushed big canoes loaded to the gills upstream. Often they would start with a "kicker" which is a small motor. When they gas ran out or the motor died, they paddled, poled, and drug their canoes upstream. This was work, not recreation. They often built a cabin, then trapped and prospected and spent the winter. Some never made it through the winter.

If you want to read a wonderful book on this, check out RM Patterson's Dangerous River. It's a fantastic story of Patterson's explorations of the Nahanni River. There is a winter survival story in there that is just plain awesome.

happy camper said:
hello :)
"song of the paddle:an illustrated guide to wilderness camping" is a book by bill mason, (isbn 1-55263-579-1). Its a superb book with loads of info. about canoe camping and expeditions in general. i'm pretty sure its been mentioned on bcuk a few times if you do a search. Its absolutely ideal, very practical, and very inspirational if you've got a canoe or want a canoe, but it's still good if you're interested in wild camping in general (but be prepared to add canoe to your "must haves" list if you get it :D)
cheers. :)

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Just to help set the scene ...

005.jpg

(ok, maybe pushing the definition of 'wilderness' a bit).

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
It is up to you and where you want to go that would decide if you paddle upstream, on a trek you would lay out a route, (many books offer canoe routes and portages) follow it to a specific destination. Maybe you want to go down a river system and take on the rapids, portages etc.. you would either be driven up to the headwaters/launch point or have yourself flown up and canoe down and camp along the way :D You may want to do a circuit, so indeed paddling against the current and wind is an accepted event to be relished :lmao: Like Hoodoo said it is hard work, I remember when we took a group of Japanese on a small day trip, they had never canoed against current, it was a sight to see. We went upstream first, knowing they would be tired by the end of the day and it would be easier to retrace our steps with the afternoon current with us, wind made them work though :D Organised canoe trips often go downstream as it makes for less strenous paddling unless wind is against you. In the old days you had to go both ways no choice, had to get back, rivers close together tend to drain into the same basin (direction) except just north where we live the artic watershed starts and rivers do flow both ways near each other, some south to the Great Lakes and others north to James/Hudson Bays/Artic Ocean. I've seen my partner and I barely make a yard headway per stroke against the current and wind combined, lakes also have currents in them.
CG :yo:

Carcajou Garou said:
It is up to you and where you want to go that would decide if you paddle upstream, on a trek you would lay out a route, (many books offer canoe routes and portages) follow it to a specific destination. Maybe you want to go down a river system and take on the rapids, portages etc.. you would either be driven up to the headwaters/launch point or have yourself flown up and canoe down and camp along the way :D You may want to do a circuit, so indeed paddling against the current and wind is an accepted event to be relished :lmao: Like Hoodoo said it is hard work, I remember when we took a group of Japanese on a small day trip, they had never canoed against current, it was a sight to see. We went upstream first, knowing they would be tired by the end of the day and it would be easier to retrace our steps with the afternoon current with us, wind made them work though :D Organised canoe trips often go downstream as it makes for less strenous paddling unless wind is against you. In the old days you had to go both ways no choice, had to get back, rivers close together tend to drain into the same basin (direction) except just north where we live the artic watershed starts and rivers do flow both ways near each other, some south to the Great Lakes and others north to James/Hudson Bays/Artic Ocean. I've seen my partner and I barely make a yard headway per stroke against the current and wind combined, lakes also have currents in them.
CG :yo:
thanks for info..do the lakes freeze up in the winter?

nishishinandy

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2005
Belfast northern ireland
wolf said:
A question,.....
If for instance you are living in canada,which i believe has vast lakes and streams,and you decide to travel along a waterway to reach a destination,how do you get back to where you started from ?Would you have to travel back along the river you came along or would there be other rivers to take you back?Am i right to say you travel with the current and not against it?...cheers :confused:

I have spent the past 5 summers canoeing in ontario and quebec for between three and 8 week trips. We have always traveled using the traditional methods, ie the tump line and wannigan as well as wood canvas canoes. We have always travelled up and down stream and if its to hard to paddle we either portage or pole our way up. Poleing is when birch poles, around 14 feet long, are used to propel the canoes upstream.

Im only seventeen and have already spent some life changing time in the woods and its all due to the camp that an american lady paid for me to go to.

Check it out and maybe ill see some more british people there soon.

http://temagami.keewaydin.org/

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Original question:

"A question,.....
If for instance you are living in canada,which i believe has vast lakes and streams,and you decide to travel along a waterway to reach a destination,how do you get back to where you started from ?Would you have to travel back along the river you came along or would there be other rivers to take you back?Am i right to say you travel with the current and not against it?...cheers "

You can do a circle route, involving several different lakes or waterways, leave a vehicle at each end of your route, pay an outfitter to pick you up at the end of your route, or have a plane meet you at the end of your route.

And yes, the lakes freeze - sometimes many feet deep.

PG

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
Slightly off topic... I spent the Winter Solstice on the Basingstoke canal with some young people from work (I'm a youth worker, amongst other things). Parts of the canal had frozen, and the sound of the canoes and kyaks breaking the ice was fantastic! As we returned to where we started the day we were in trhe company of a kingfisher for about 10 minutes.l The electric blue flash first got our attention. Then it would occaisionaly fly through the group, then hide is some hedges and trees.

A splendid day at work!

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
wolf said:
A question,.....

Wolf:

If you are ever in the mood to see some wilderness canoe country. Drop me a line.

PG

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
wolf said:
A question,.....

Here people plan routes to go downstreams and plan to get out of the woods where a street crosses to be picked up later by a car. In Canada and Alaska I believe they pick up folks with a bush-plane. That could be a option if you dont want to paddle back the entire way. People who live in the bush seldom are in to romantics, The have other canoes one design it one with a flat back where you can fix an engine to go upstream too.

I am talking out of my head as I havent been in Canada or Alaska yet.

cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE