Canned Bread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
attachment.php

This is quite a regular in B&M's, 39p a can IIRC

Attachments

• GRAN04.jpg
    GRAN04.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 174

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Nothing wrong with spotted dick covered in nice hot thick custard. You should have seen the look on my American wife's face when I suggested spotted dick for desert, she still won't try it. :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nothing wrong with spotted dick covered in nice hot thick custard. You should have seen the look on my American wife's face when I suggested spotted dick for desert, she still won't try it. :)

I was spoiled by my Mum's home made Spotted Dick pudding with lashings of birds custard (we fought over getting the skin :D) but maybe the "it'll put hairs on your chest" phrase that often accompanied such great winter fare put your good lady off. ;)
I might be mad but I used to enjoy it cold from the fridge too!

Rob.

http://www.macsween.co.uk/products/delicious-every-day-vegetarian/
http://www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk/recipes/vegetarian-haggis.php
that recipe's pretty good, though I'm fussy about the garam masala and usually just stick to some allspice, loads of fresh ground pepper and salt, and I add a couple of tablespoonsful of peanut butter instead of margarine. I generally mince the mushrooms and sauté them down in a very lightly oiled pan and then put the lid on and the heat draws the jus and I use that instead of adding tamari.
If you get it all cooked down then pack it into an ashet and roast it a bit in the oven, it's pretty good :D It's not supposed to be crispy though, so a casserole dish with a lid works well. If you do it in the ashet then cover it with pastry (cheese flaky's good ) then it makes a good haggis pie which is a lot better than most of the commercial fakesteak vegetarian options out there, or mashed spuds for a Shepherd's pie.

I've just had a look on the North American Amazon site for you, and by heavens they know how to charge, don't they ? :yikes:
Tinned haggis and vegetarian haggis is under a couple of pounds here. I know folks who go camping and take both types so they have meat and veg sorted :)

I remember meat being well used. Nothing was wasted. If it couldn't be eaten easily it was boiled down to jelly or stock. I don't ever remember anyone in the family eating tripe, but we did make and eat haggis, and Grandpa really did like a singed sheeps heid…
http://archive.org/stream/mrsbeetonshouse00beetuoft#page/610/mode/2up
which he ate with black pepper.
My Father shot rabbits, etc., until the mixie really started in this area, and not long after he gave up his rifles.
Tinned meat was kept for camping or for just-in-case. No one had a freezer big enough to store meat, though some of the big sandstone houses still had game rooms. The only other way I knew of to preserve meat was as 'ham', and we made beef ham here too, not just pig ham, iimmc., or as potted meat, like potted hough. The big marmeet on Granny's cooker simmered everything down to stock. Mum had a pressure cooker instead :)
I was never fond of meat, of any kind. I mind sitting at the table and not allowed to leave until I'd finished my dinner, and I just couldn't eat the meat. I don't know how many times I sat there for hours, with the meat still on my plate, until bedtime, and my Dad angry that I wouldn't eat it and be done. I just couldn't, and it never got any better. I'll prep it, cook it, serve it, but it's not food for me, and I have never missed it.

M

Thanks!

The reason that I'm so interested in recipes is that I've been on a salt reduced diet for years, so anything canned or packaged is generally too salty for me now, except in small quantities. I can well remember years ago when going to eat with colleagues that we always had to eat where reduced salt food was available, and thinking "just make an exception this time!". It never occurred to me that they simply couldn't eat lots of restaurant food, because what was normal for most - they could no longer stomach. To them, it would taste like someone had thrown in a handful of salt as a joke - or more likely, they would feel pretty ill afterwards.
Over here, most of the meat available in stores has been injected with saline to plump it up, so over time I ate less and less of it. As strange as it sounds, I could handle a sheep's head, but I look on ground meat, especially with suspicion and horror. Luckily there are ways of getting the salt out of bacon.. I guess I'm either going to have to get back into hunting for other meat, or continue as a semi-vegetarian. I grew up with rabbit as the main meat, but over here they do like to nibble on spruce needles..

I don't know about canned bread, but most bread commonly sold these days is made by the Chorleywood process:
https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/about/the-history-of-bread/the-history-of-bread-the-chorleywood-bread-process/
If I want bread then it's in small amounts if store bought, due to the salt, or my own with which I've learned to use the no-knead long rise time recipes, which can work with minimal salt, or flat-breads.

In the end a low salt diet gets to taste completely normal since a little salt goes a long way for me. It's just a lot of work and inconvenience when travelling. And if I cook something for my lifestyle, it isn't going to get any compliments except from people who are also on low salt diets...

It appears that even in these modern days, people are suspicious of a vegetarian. At least it was so with my grand-daughter when she was expecting and then feeding my great grand-daughter. Even though the kid made super growth, the nurses were concerned. There seems to be a lot of misconceptions even in multicultural Canada where large numbers of people are born into a vegetarian lifestyle. I think they were worried about her changing to lettuce only or something. Better concerned than not concerned I guess...

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I once got bought an canned entire chicken as a joke present. Not even going to lie it's one of the single most deeply unpleasant meals I've ever eaten, and I've eaten some pretty out there meals!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Yeah I bet Cheesy Chips been another:rolleyes:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Spotted dick is wonderful stuff!

I totally agree but name does not conjure up nice things when you first hear it as a kid or say you came here and were learning English and seen it on the shop shelf, it's one of my favourite puddings to cover with custard

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I totally agree but name does not conjure up nice things when you first hear it as a kid or say you came here and were learning English and seen it on the shop shelf, it's one of my favourite puddings to cover with custard

Couldn't agree more when Steph whips one up she's gotta beat me off the steamer with a stick!

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I also used to enjoy it piping hot with a good dollop of vanilla icecream, sadly my current spate of extra healthy eating has it off limits

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I also used to enjoy it piping hot with a good dollop of vanilla icecream, sadly my current spate of extra healthy eating has it off limits

Remember mate that the early Alpanist climbers recomended champange & fruit cake as their comestibles of choice while scaling an Alp. None of this musili and coconut water palava. :D
You have yourself a saveloy stottie, slice of spotted dick and a mug of tea and enjoy yourself mate.
Looking forward to reading about your upcoming trip.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cheers mate, when out in the field i enjoy my treats, it is when stuck in the city i eat healthy.

Really looking forward to having a new adventure and doing something unique to write about, 17 days until i fly, also looking forward to getting some sun

Last edited:

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Y'all never heard of B&M brown bread?! Made by same company that makes beans. They make it plain and with raisins. It's more of a molasses type cake than a bread stuff is wicked good. Cut a slice slather on some good butter wash down with brew of choice.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I grew up thinking ham came out of a tin (as did potato salad...ick.)

That tinned haggis is good stuff. (They also do tinned black pudding)

Of course our local butcher does fresh.

Im not keen on tinned meats, (tins are for putting beans in) but tinned salmon is nicer than fresh (less fishy)

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Found a picture of the same brand online. And it demonstrates perfectly just how unappetizing it was. Even if it was a survival situation I would use them to lure in rodents and eat them instead!
56cfc6521761ccb5bf0d0b86b7b54eb9.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
that just put me off my breakfast!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are both ok....but tinned of course, it's so much harder to cut yourself on a plastic tub!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE