Campfire bread experiment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice job !

My home made bread always has a sweeter taste than anything you can buy.

You mention putting more salt in to improve the taste... Salt and yeast dont get along well, the more salt you add the less your bread will rise. Experiment away to find the best mix for you :)

Love Joes idea of twisting dough round a stick.

Tant

This guy wrapped it around a hot dog. Not quite the same as a corn dog but close. Anyway, it would work the same without the hot dog.

IMG_1130.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, bread dough on a stick teaches patience to the little ones = if they want bread, they have to bake it themselves.
We had some fish in clay, baking in the coals, too.

I won't ever make whole wheat breads. The bran triggers a sudden spike in blood sugar which I can do without. Other fiber sources not so.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Quixoticgeek: a question: after you made the dough, how many times did you let it rise before you baked it? The crumb looks just what I like.

Bannock%20making_zps0zailnoh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here we show a visitor how to make bannock - bread on a stick. Being shown by Mrs T'anishwa who has spent almost all her life living in the forest and is also an excellent cook and can shoot/trap better than many men.

Last edited:
Wild rice and still collected. Much nicer than white rice. Corn used to be planted but were too far north. I'm not sure of all English names but

Arrowhead, called wild potato I still collect and cook when out for longer time.
Bugleweed, Milkweed, Woodbine stalks, Bulrush roots, Basswood innerbark is sweet as is other popular, further south oak/acorns? sometimes eaten and make bread but they need a fair bit of preparation. Also lilly root. A few more plants but I don't know their names in English at all. When I was younger older people once told me that fjurther north beyond tree line they would shoot Caribou and eat the stomach contents because there were very few plants for eating. I've tried this a couple of times wehn we've been short and its good food once cooked.

I remember many of these I also saw in England and I showed my English friend how to prepare and eat these.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. I had wild rice just the past 2 nights! Hard to buy in the grocery stores without it being kakked up with other grains. I can buy direct from the Co-Op in LaRonge, SK. Had a base camp in LaRonge for 5 months one summer, probably lived in it for all of 3-4 weeks. I eat other rices: Jasmine, Brown, Basmati, Brown Basmati and white. Wild Rice is #1, even though it isn't a true rice.
I had bullrush roots roasted but almost too peppery tasting for me. Have seen lots of big lilypad roots but don't know if they're edible.
Heard of eating caribou stomach contents. If I get up into Nunavut, I'll try it.

I tried growing corn (aka maize) here at 53*N. Should have figured how to start it in pots and transplant to get a head start. Little cobs that didn't fill out. 50*N is OK for good corn crops.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE