Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
bushcrafters+of+cambridge+logo+smallest.jpg
MEET LIST: AUGUST 20th - 21st (Sat-Sun)

Please amend the list below as appropriate!

Attending:
  • WolfCrafter (Steve)
  • Elel28 (Lee) Saturday only this time :(
  • jacko1066 (Steve)
  • bmartin1uk (Ben)
  • rickyamos
Maybe:
  • Peter_gent
  • Whittler Kev (supposed to be at a Harley Rally;)- looking like I'll be there 240volt reliant)
  • L8starter

Cant Make It This Time:

Looking like there will be a few of us this time :)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
A week tomorrow and we will be there :) has anyone got anything exciting planned to do?

Personally I will be keeping things simple as I'm only there for the day

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
just recovering from the moot and trying to clean/dry everything.....

im still planning to join you, know nothing about building cobb ovens which i waht i assume to you are referring to and would love to learn. sharpening is an area i have as yet to get to grips with but buying a sharpening system would be a good beginning!!

having experienced very different terrain and equipment needs at the norfolk meet and the moot could someone let me know what i might expect: space, water and facility wise? and also a location?

i am now the tentative owner of a hammock, bought new, but seconds at the moot, just need to waterproof the tarp seams and ill be away

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Need to get advice from you on Cobb cooking. ;)
My Cobb's still not cooking properly. I think it may be not getting the coals alight correctly...not sure:confused:

No problem Kev, you bringing yours then? what coals are you using?? I first tried mine out with some Tesco briquettes, as thats what we had to hand, seemed to take a age to cook a couple of burgers! Having since bought some Austrailian Heat Beads, have found they work so much better. Apparently Webber also make a brand of heat beads and should be easier to get hold of.

The real knack is to make sure the coals are nice and hot (almost all grey on top) before putting your cooking plate on top, then place the lid on to heat up the cooking space before putting your food on.

If you'd like, I can fetch a few heat beads along for you to 'play' with :) wasn't planning on bringing my cobb this time though.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
just recovering from the moot and trying to clean/dry everything.....

im still planning to join you, know nothing about building cobb ovens which i waht i assume to you are referring to and would love to learn. sharpening is an area i have as yet to get to grips with but buying a sharpening system would be a good beginning!!

having experienced very different terrain and equipment needs at the norfolk meet and the moot could someone let me know what i might expect: space, water and facility wise? and also a location?

i am now the tentative owner of a hammock, bought new, but seconds at the moot, just need to waterproof the tarp seams and ill be away

Hopefully this link to the sites website, will answer a few of your questions regarding terrain and location. There is also access to proper flushing toilets, running hot water and showers, as well as plenty of drinking water.

If you need anything specific answering, then just ask away, and I'm sure that one or other of us will be able to answer :)

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
cheers, thanks eel, i wasnt expecting a proper site so am pleased i asked

all the pictures of the camping areas show tents, are these the main camping areas, will we be in trees so hammocks ok? i have a tent as well so not a problem, just need to know.

how much do we expect to pay each?

the site talks about fires and wood piles, is there plenty or do we need to bring some in?

thanks

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Plenty of trees around to hang a hammock from, would guess the abundance of tents on the photos would be due to tents being more 'common'?

Site fee is £6 for overnight, or £3 for a day.

The wood pile can be a bit hit and miss as to what is there. However, we have always found enough wood to keep a fire burning all weekend. Saying that, if you, or anyone else for that matter, wants to bring a few logs along then please feel free :)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I have acquired an old small axe today, which is in need of a little TLC including a new handle. Will be bringing along next week to hopefully get some advice :)

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
hmm.... im intrigued kev, what might one do with oak pegs? i bought myself rather a nice carving axe at the moot that ill bring along with some wood to have a play with

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
im in for trying anything but was wondering about the economies of buying pegs to carve up??

eel, we cannot do without fire so get double the pleasure of the carving and the lighting... tee hee

anyway who said anything about nicely carved, if you saw my spork i last made when i saw kev, youd probably laugh but i was exteremely proud!!

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
anyway who said anything about nicely carved, if you saw my spork i last made when i saw kev, youd probably laugh but i was exteremely proud!!

LOL I know exactly what you mean there :) not being too 'arty' myself, but happy to give it a go, and probably most of mine would have ended up on the fire if done by a more experienced person, ok they don't look pretty, but are functional and just like you, I am proud of them :)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
bushcrafters+of+cambridge+logo+smallest.jpg
MEET LIST: AUGUST 20th - 21st (Sat-Sun)

Please amend the list below as appropriate!

Attending:
  • WolfCrafter (Steve)
  • Elel28 (Lee) Saturday only this time :(
  • jacko1066 (Steve)
  • bmartin1uk (Ben)
  • rickyamos
Maybe:
  • Peter_gent
  • Whittler Kev (supposed to be at a Harley Rally;)- looking like I'll be there 240volt reliant)
  • L8starter
  • Crowe

Cant Make It This Time:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE