Calling all wild food enthusiast...please help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Hi All,

I'm posting here to plead for a huge favour! I am currently part way through the research for my final thesis, as part of my Ethnobotany MSc. However my research has taken a rather last minute turn and I quickly need to gather some extra, and extremely vital data. The project is about wild food use in Britain and the reasons behind a possible 'cultural shift' back to the utilisation of 'food for free'. I have included a rough/ working abstract below if you are interested.

I am posting to ask if you would take 10 minutes to fill out a questionnaire for me!?!! I have put it up on the Woodsmoke news page (2nd item down). It can either be filled in by computer and email to info@woodsmoke.uk.com; or alternatively print and post to: Woodsmoke questionnaire, PO BOX 45, Cockermouth, CA13 9WB.
ALL data will be treated in strictest confidence.

Either which way my deadline for this part of my research is July 4th (although its a wee bit flexible), and so I only have just over a week to gather this vital data. I really hope some of you have you have the time and urge you to please fill it in as soon as you can.

Thank you so much for your time, you guys are my only hope to get this data fast!!!

All the best,
Lisa :You_Rock_

Abstract

The collection of wild plant species for food is experiencing a recent revival, stimulated by a growing interest in nature's wild food larder. Many wild plants in Britain have become increasingly visible in the marketplace as alternative food resources. They reflect contemporary trends for organic, functional, locally produced, and wild harvested food products, analogous with a current media foray extolling the virtues of wild edible plants, and ‘food for free’. Wild food embodies notions of environmental re-engagement, self sufficiency, nostalgia, health and perhaps spirituality. The growing trend towards the consumption and commercial utilization of wild edible plants may reveal a physiological, social, cultural and ecological function. This recent groundswell of interest coupled with a growing UK market, parallels national discourse concerning biological diversity loss, declining agricultural income, issues surrounding food production and the role of the countryside itself. International debate is currently focused on global issues of food security, traditional knowledge loss, land use practices, and cultural and biological diversity. These wider debates resonate in contemporary consumer UK trends and may underpin a philosophy imbued within foraging as a key element in facilitating the return to seasonal, local and wild plants for food...

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Thanks a million Toddy...really appreciated!

Matt, I won't pass that weather info on to the guys, they have had a classic 'Cumbrian weather challenge' this weekend, although it has improved again ...enjoy the sun ;-).

Thanks,
Lisa

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Good stuff Leon :).

Dwardo, do you have a mac? Most have been able to open it, but a few folks with mac's seem to be having problems? Being rubbish with computers I'm not sure why, the form is pretty amaterish! Thanks for trying and I'll try to find some advice.

Cheers,
Lisa

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Hi Malente, that's great...yes, and you thought you just went for walks to munch on green stuff :lmao:

And cheers Hiraeth...I will need luck, and a bit of help ;-)

Would you believe our server seems to have gone down, so I'm having trouble getting emails at the moment...typical:rolleyes:

Cheers!
Lisa

bear knights

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Cornwall
Just sent....good luck!
I'm not sure why I'm about to do this but....if you need to do any statistical analysis :eek: and want someone to bounce ideas off of, then get in touch. I'm not a statistitician (is that how you spell that?!) but I do have to help out students with their projects and know some basics.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
No worries!

I'm in that boat myself (2nd year PhD), and need to finish some research work tonight :bluThinki :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Good luck

Mike

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I can’t get the document to open either, I'm running MS Word 2003, I get an error message but it doesn’t provide any details as to what is causing the problem.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I can’t get the document to open either, I'm running MS Word 2003, I get an error message but it doesn’t provide any details as to what is causing the problem.

Stuart,

If you can make a note of the mumbo jumbo error then google it you will likely find an answer.

lisa

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
Lake District
Thanks so much for all your support and for all the questionnaires!! For those who can't open it, I'm really sorry and am trying to figure out a way, but am pretty useless in this department. I will post as soon as I have any suggestions :confused: If you have any joy Stuart, please let me know!

Malente...my sympathies :), what subject have you chosen to lose your sanity for?

Bear Knights...Oh my god, your brave :D . As I have no experience of this stuff, you may live to regret this moment of kindness!

Thanks all, please do keep them coming...I'd love to hear from 'chickenofthewoods' if you're there!

Cheers,
Lisa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE