cacheing food and its pontential miss happs and pit falls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
this is good stuff,

Red, are you isolated, or potentially isolated by weather for parts of the year?

it sounds a minefield, but when you have time then an article, or just a brief outline of the equipment/methods you use would be great,...

Yep, have lived all over - Devon, South Downs, now Lincolnshire, but always in out of the way cottages in the sticks. Never had mains drainage, and often not mains water.

Trouble is when power goes off, these sorts of properties are just not a priority to get fixed, so freezers can be problematic. I have a gennie back up, but that's short term.

Water is easy for me, stick a bucket down the well. The frost line (depth of frost) doesn't go more than a foot sub surface here, so the well doesn't freeze (checked it at -12 and it was fine - doesn't get much colder). If I didn't have that, I'd use water butts gathering rainwater for toilet flushing etc. and keep a few plastic camper type water carriers (like a Jerry can with a tap) for drinking. Keep them clean and the water lasts forever, but I'd rotate every six to twelve months jsut to be safe.

The best way to keep air out is an oygen impermeable bag (often known as mylar). These bags can be sealed with an iron and an oxygen absorbing sachet put in to absorb any oxygen in the bag already. The bag will shrink like those foil pouches of coffee. Something like rice stored that way is good for 25 years and can be left in the back of a cupboard. I put them in a plastic tub with a lid. That keeps any mice etc. from chewing into the bag.

Not really necessary for a big snowfall though. I reckon if you can manage for a few weeks, you are good to go. A 4kg bag of rice, some potatoes, a couple of bags of kidney beans, some chilli powder, some corned beef and a tin of bacon grill for brekky. Thats chilli, corned beef hash and a bacon brekkie - and I'm happy to eat that any time so it doesn't spoil :)

Having a backup light source, heat source and some water is always sensible to get over a storm problem etc.

Red

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Yep, have lived all over - Devon, South Downs, now Lincolnshire, but always in out of the way cottages in the sticks. Never had mains drainage, and often not mains water.

Trouble is when power goes off, these sorts of properties are just not a priority to get fixed, so freezers can be problematic. I have a gennie back up, but that's short term.

Water is easy for me, stick a bucket down the well. The frost line (depth of frost) doesn't go more than a foot sub surface here, so the well doesn't freeze (checked it at -12 and it was fine - doesn't get much colder). If I didn't have that, I'd use water butts gathering rainwater for toilet flushing etc. and keep a few plastic camper type water carriers (like a Jerry can with a tap) for drinking. Keep them clean and the water lasts forever, but I'd rotate every six to twelve months jsut to be safe.

The best way to keep air out is an oygen impermeable bag (often known as mylar). These bags can be sealed with an iron and an oxygen absorbing sachet put in to absorb any oxygen in the bag already. The bag will shrink like those foil pouches of coffee. Something like rice stored that way is good for 25 years and can be left in the back of a cupboard. I put them in a plastic tub with a lid. That keeps any mice etc. from chewing into the bag.

Not really necessary for a big snowfall though. I reckon if you can manage for a few weeks, you are good to go. A 4kg bag of rice, some potatoes, a couple of bags of kidney beans, some chilli powder, some corned beef and a tin of bacon grill for brekky. Thats chilli, corned beef hash and a bacon brekkie - and I'm happy to eat that any time so it doesn't spoil :)

Having a backup light source, heat source and some water is always sensible to get over a storm problem etc.

Red

brilliant,..

thanks Red,..

the oxygen absorbing sachet?..do they go by another name?..i can find info on them but not buy them,...

i PM,d you the rest as its not 100% relevant to the thread...

Cheers

Stu

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Some good stuff Red, cheers for all the info. I keep rice (vacuum packed), kidney beans, tinned fruit, other tinned goods and even attempted making game jerky...the missus thinks im mad. She pokes fun at my TOETWAWKI mentality...but she wasn't whinging when the leckie in the village went belly up and we were prepped...even went as far as getting the fire going with me firesteel...that shut her right up! ha ha! Out of curiosity where in Lincs are you? Im in Billinghay during the weekdays before heading home to Norfolk on weekend...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE