Buying land?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I see that all the time, -especialy down here.

I worked hard for my house, no foreign holidays, in fact for ten years no holidays at all.

Maybe we should be like the Japanese and try to get established in life before we start a family...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Tengu, that is too much to ask for!
Today people are happy to buy a mobile phone on a Credit Card. Everything on Credit.
Then they complain they can not afford to live.

In former Eastern Europe they still have the oldfashioned view on Banks. OK to deposit, not ok to borrow.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Yes, I see that all the time, -especialy down here.

I worked hard for my house, no foreign holidays, in fact for ten years no holidays at all.

Maybe we should be like the Japanese and try to get established in life before we start a family...
Modern UK family relationships breakdown within a few years. Most of us would be senior citizens with 12 kids under 10 to 3 different women & still paying bedroom tax, if we waited to get established first.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Modern UK family relationships breakdown within a few years. Most of us would be senior citizens with 12 kids under 10 to 3 different women & still paying bedroom tax, if we waited to get established first.

what I have seen in some parts of UK is more like: one woman, 5 kids, 7 unknown fathers.

The only benefactors today are the banks.
But I should be quiet, as I am in the process of taking out another mortgage.....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm a freak. I've been retired for 10 years. About 6-8 months ago, I realized that I am debt free.
The usual monthly expenses but no outstanding, long-term debt of any kind.
I didn't have the most lucrative jobs as a Biology professor.
But, I have a big, warm house with space for those who might wander this way.

However, I don't need many of the glamorous things.
I don't NEED to travel. I don't NEED the latest computer gadgets.
I'll never see 70 again. I need to live life and indulge myself in active hobbies and my far flung family.

Yeah. I could crawl up some logging road and buy crown land. All sorts of deadlines for building, permits
for water and waste, all that stuff.

So, I live in the village with all the usual services.
Within 45 minutes of this house, we might see mountain goats, mountain sheep, cougars, lynx & bobcat.
Black bears, grizzly bears, coyotes and wolves. Mule deer & White-tail deer & hybrids, moose, elk mountain caribou.
Otters, mink, weasels and Fishers. Birds from Sandhill cranes to Canada geese to all sorts of ducks.

Take a look at Jasper National Park. Imagine living 2 hrs west in the mountains without the crowds and prices.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That interesting Robson, what could you get for around $100k, and could you live in a subsistence fashion?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That interesting Robson, what could you get for around $100k, and could you live in a subsistence fashion?

I'm interested to see the answer to that as well. Here in northwest Florida unimproved land (basic farmland or woodland) goes for about $6000 per acre if you buy 20 or more acres; so realistically you'd need at least $120,000 plus closing costs. The problem is that most such land is in blocks of from 40 to 80 acres and up.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Debt free, no matter how modest one's other circumstances seems to be the key. Umpteen children are not inevitable.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You still need, and have, electricity and a working computer. Or you would not be able to participate here.

Most rural areas have both, although the more remote areas might require an alternate power source. Hence RV's comment about his place being in a village with "services."

I feel like some people on this thread don't quite realise how badly the buy-to-let market is further marginalizing the majority of young people and slightly less well off, and allowing those who were lucky enough to buy a house virtually mortgage free in the 80's with a lucrative 80k household income at the age of 50, and can afford to buy 1-3 other properties, to rent out at hundreds each month in the only country in Europe without rent controls. Then complain about how there is no such thing as a free meal while they retire on the desparity of the falling minimum wage and vote UKIP.

Rant over

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For the money, I suggest a home in the village and spend as many days back up the side logging roads as you like.
However, you will need a door in your roof if you want to live out back and off the grid.
15' of snow in a couple of days gives new meaning to "house bound."
However, I have a government connection and I will ask about prices and hurdles and hoops.

Farm land around here doesn't last long on the market, no matter what the price. European buyers.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
At no time could one buy a house virtually mortgage free. 80k income! Fantasy! It wasn't so long ago that serious economists and others were wondering why house purchase was so important in the UK when they appeared happy to rent on the Continent. More house to rent enables this change

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That was quick. I asked about buying a patch of BC Crown Land for residential purposes.
In this region, there are several Indigineous native groups contesting the district as "traditional land."
Consultation is required legally. I was told that my grandsons will still be negotiating after they have retired.
The boys are nearly 3 yrs old.

If you want to go wild camping away from any reserve or structured park, you can do as you like for 14 days
then move a mile down the road. Normally the black bears and grizzly bears understand that what's theirs is theirs
and what's yours is also theirs with no negotiation when they bust down your door.

If you would settle for an acre in a ski resort development, you might score for $5,000 but you sure won't be alone and off the grid.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not only more rental properties, but also more properties ( of decent, European standard) to buy are needed in UK. The hole problem is as I said earlier the total lack of space where new houses are allowed to be constructed.

I remember when I lived in Mayfield, the Council released some (basically) useless wasteland to put some houses on. What did they do? Put up maybe 15 shoe box sized attached houses on it. no garages, no gardens.
Also in Europe there is no stigma to rent an apartment in a high rise.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I feel like some people on this thread don't quite realise how badly the buy-to-let market is further marginalizing the majority of young people and slightly less well off, and allowing those who were lucky enough to buy a house virtually mortgage free in the 80's with a lucrative 80k household income at the age of 50, and can afford to buy 1-3 other properties, to rent out at hundreds each month.......

At no time could one buy a house virtually mortgage free. 80k income! Fantasy! It wasn't so long ago that serious economists and others were wondering why house purchase was so important in the UK when they appeared happy to rent on the Continent. More house to rent enables this change

Also doesn't it seem as if ceryni is talking about individuals buying a few extra properties to rent? (1-3 such properties) I would think that such Mom & Pop businesses would be preferable to corporations?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
What is "off the grid"?

IMHO that means you have no delivered electricity, water, no outside energy source. No insurances ( house, Medical/Dental). No vehicle that used an engine.

Or?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Also in Europe there is no stigma to rent an apartment in a high rise.

Nor in NYC, nor most truly urban areas. In fact that's the type property (penthouse suites) that demands premium prices there. But that's not the type open property the OP mentioned, nor is the residential aspect the only consideration.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I feel like some people on this thread don't quite realise how badly the buy-to-let market is further marginalizing the majority of young people and slightly less well off, and allowing those who were lucky enough to buy a house virtually mortgage free in the 80's with a lucrative 80k household income at the age of 50, and can afford to buy 1-3 other properties, to rent out at hundreds each month in the only country in Europe without rent controls. Then complain about how there is no such thing as a free meal while they retire on the desparity of the falling minimum wage and vote UKIP.

Rant over

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

morgage free in the 80's where were you? unemployment was at 12%, its currently at about 6%
and that's with 8 million less people, interest rates were up to 20% at one point too, more people lost teir homes,jobs communities than they re ever likely too again.

The idea that middle England own 2-3 properties as private land lords is rubbish, the land owners of old didn't drop to the middle classes it just went off soil...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....The idea that middle England own 2-3 properties as private land lords is rubbish, the land owners of old didn't drop to the middle classes it just went off soil...

I'll take your word for that; it's just mind boggling that anybody bigger than a small investor, such as an individual or family, would bother with so small (3 or less residences) a venture. The people I've known who did/do it or ordinary working class; one was a now deceased Uncle who worked as a welder at a refinery in Texas, another was an air traffic controller here.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE