Bushwomen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
What do you think the male to female ratio of hardcore bushcrafters is?

I'm thinking maybe 50 to 1

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
You can take that post two ways Eric, both probably are true me thinks lol:)
I know a couple of ladies who come out with us they come out with their partners and they are fantastic girls. Id say the ratio is very low, and in the case of some women thats probably a good thing (puts on kevlar jacket and riot helmet and adopts the position)

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I would not like to guess at a ratio but, I would love to think many do it. I wont let my wife do it though as the thought of flowers in a tent and a vacuum cleaner as part of the essential kit does not bear thinking about.

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
and in the case of some women thats probably a good thing (puts on kevlar jacket and riot helmet and adopts the position)

You'll be more identifiable as part of the 1 rather then the 25 if you diss my sisters again! :D
I've not been on any moots yet but I get the impression theres not many of us girlies about

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some folks like the chase ;) :D

I think it's more than most are aware of, but women are inclined to just do these things and not like to call it something like Bushcraft. Of my female friends, about a third are both interested and capable in all of the skills we call bushcraft, and they range from 17 to 55 so it's a wide spread.

cheers,
Toddy

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Waste of time though, as you have to sleep sometimes:( .
There are 2 types of Bushladys i think, most of the ladies that go out doing things bushcrafty are there because their partners are into it and its better than sitting indoors on your Tod (no pun intended) ,or they have more of a craft bias eg, weaving, making cordage and pots etc, after all these are the tasks that women historicaly practiced when looking after the family while the blokes went out hunted and had fires and sat around them burping, far*ing and moaning about their other halves (still a common practice im led to believe;) ) (am i pushing my luck guys tell me if i am we need to stick together eh:eek: )

xylaria

The meets I have been to the ratio is about 1:10, the BCUK moots about 1:5.

Not sure what you mean by hardcore bushcrafter, women sleep 5c colder than men also our sticky out hips and tits dont make hard ground sleeping that comfy. I hope that can partly explain why wives say they need the airbed and two sleeping bags. We as a family are going over to hammocks because of comfort, but I don't think it make us more hardcore than a family in tent.

Most of the women I meet are just to busy to sit on the internet all day to discuss thier hobbies, or are put off this site by other factors ( burping and farting are not factors)

I do worry that my presence sometimes at meets is off putting for blokes who may be have came out to get away from the wife and kids. May i just add to those of you that are ex-services I am no :censored: lady and you can :censored: swear in front of me.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"What do you think the male to female ratio of hardcore bushcrafters is"

Well if you phrase it like that you're probably right and it won't encourage others since "hardcore" is hardly the sort of thing that most women would aspire to. Having said that I have been very surprised at the ratio of folk interested in carving with axes and knives, so far I have taught more women than men, maybe men prefer to learn by trail and error (ouch) and I would also say that other than brute strength there has not been a noticable difference in ability.

I was interested to teach at the Forest schools conference recently and the ratio there is more than 10 to 1, women to men.....so where are all the male mentors to teach our kids? or do you just like doing it outside the formailsed framework.

P

PIDDOCK

From my experience I would say maybe one in fifteen bushcrafters a re females, although as Eric points out most of those are more manly than the men I've met.

Sadly bushcraft Barbies are few and very far between.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
lol Calm down Eric! :lmao:
I make you right about the "Hardcore" statement? Define Hardcore :confused: (not that kind Eric lol) Many of the ladies that come out on our meets put just as much work in as the blokes, they carve and use axe's tend and keep the fire going "do our washing up, washing and ironing and make sure our slippers are properly warmed by the fire lol;) " the bit in inverted comma's is just a tease before you sharpen your throwing axes girls.

At the end of the day there's no sexual distinction or bias in Bushcraft / wilderness living its about skill and determination if women can put up with blokes and have babies id say they are pretty sodding hardcore wouldnt you! Id personally like to see more ladies out there doing bushcraft, Bushcraft is a huge melting pot of skills and about sharing those skills, id love to learn how to knit nettle cordage ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE