Bushwomen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

PIDDOCK

3) the odd pillock that sits in an armchair all day and thinks it realistic for women to look like glamour models while chopping wood.

Piddock just for reference I am a 280lb body builder with a mustache who never shaves her legs.:lmao:

Quite so, but your answer explains itself. I know many ladies who like to look good in the bush and are just as skilled as their men folk. Pride in apperience is not a crime and belittles the bush barbie into a typical stereotype.

But its their preference.

Mustached ladies have their own attraction im sure, more so than someone so quick to judge, who says the odd pillock sits in a armchair all day (there is a time difference between the states and UK you know)? Maybe he's a police officer or a body builder himself, the guys I know who are body builders generally shave everywhere to show off the muscles better. by the way.

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Xylaria, you make some good points. So Why don't we all state what gender we are, and get a good idea just what is the female/male ratio?
I am male 50 years old. and definately not a 'pillock'
Alex

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Dont get me wrong Eric I can see the advantages of a shire horse as well but it doesnt mean I would not still rather ride a race horse.

Besides why cant a pretty girl who looks after herself weild an axe as well as a hefter??

Viv la difference I say, any lady will brighten up a campfire, its part of the female Magik.

Ah, but you specified a Barbie. I equate Barbie to a Stepford Wife with loose morals and little in the way of grey matter.

Any woman who has the outdoors and traditional living uppermost in her mind is ten times more appealing to me than one who loves shopping for shopping's sake and covering herself in perfumes and deodorants so that the essence of who she really is, is masked and hidden. I've no time for Barbies, or Stepford Wives.

Eric

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Now a lot of men feel the same, I have found.

(its a shame women dont realise this)

Women, in my experience, to really use a generalisation, aren't really that interested in what the men think or like, they are too interested in competing with the other women. Whilst they might want praise from their male partner as to the way they are dressed etc, the acid test is how other women react. Same for the whole dieting thing.

<ducks for cover>

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As a generalisation that's pretty fair but tbh there are a awful lot of us who just miss the whole point of the clique bitchiness.
I don't think there are any of the women on the forum who feel we need to 'compete' with each other. We all have different interests as well as our common ones, we all have our differing experiences and knowledge and I like the synergy that sharing that knowledge creates.

cheers,
Toddy...who makes her own perfume ;) :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah yes but you can't just say it about women, you only have to look at the younger generation of lads to see how they have to have their hair emaculate and wear the right fashionable clothes - they look like automatons to me, the era of man is slowly going down the preverbial pan! (If your a young person on here please don't take offence I am only talking generally!)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hey Greg what did your dad say about your generation when you were young? I don't recall 1960's Teds or Mod's and Rockers being universally aplauded by the then older generation. How long have we been going down the pan for? Ruskin, Cobbett they all talk about how things aint what they were. There is a lot of good in the current younger generation as well as bad, as there was in ours.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think it was Socratese who had a rant about the youth of his day as well! Or was it Aristotle - well one of the Ancient Greek brain boxes.....
Unfortunately most of the naughty boys of my generation ended up in government and are doing some real damage to the country - or are filling the prisons which is why the YOUNG thugs are out on the street....
I work quite a bit with the youf of today and can say from my experience that there are good and bad amongst them BUT I get to see and hear a lot more from and about the selfish, miserable, mean B'stards than the good uns who never seem to get the headlines they deserve!

xylaria

The young men are preening themselves to please the young ladies who plastered themselves in make up and rolled up the school skirt, it is traditional. Every generation has done this as it helps contribute to the creation of the next. We had the riot police out when we had fights with the school next door (battle of gospel oak 1989), eegh them were the days.

The thing with modern society traditional gender roles are getting eroded. The thing with bushcraft is that it is about traditional skills and so there is gender connotations to those skills, but hey here, there is men that knit and women that carve, and we all have to chop wood. We all want to share skills, but for those of us that are above 30 the girls were taught textiles and the boys metalwork, so there is a bias in what we know. Obviously there is quite a few women here that do woodwork and metalwork, as there are men here that are intrested in food science and textiles. I can't see how having certain skills makes you less male or female, it is just we broke through a daft idea from the past.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well I am a bloke, no question about that, and I enjoy all the blokey things - used to be front row in the Rugby team, did martial arts, shot, carve, wear camo etc
BUT
I also hold a diploma in food hygine, one in Fashion Design, one in Aromatherapy and I am a qualified Tutor in Spiritual Healing.
Those who don't know this side of me take me to be a totally unreconstructed male chauvanist, reactionary right wing "bloke" and a white van man of the lowest order...and I let them......it makes the testosterone sing!
Those who get to know me - get to know me!
Gender stereotyping gives me:D lots of laughs

xylaria

John I have met you, I did'nt know anything about any of your qualifications, but the last thing I would call you is unreconstructed male chauvinist. You are a total gent and very charming.

I have played soccer for wolves uni, and I was junior shot putt champ.

I am the biggest misogynist i know. I really don't get on with alot of other women.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the nice comments - I enjoyed meeting you too!
Pity it was soccer you played - never could stand the game myself....

xylaria

I wouldn't play womens rugby if you payed me. Soccer was vicious enough. i played soccer with my brothers most of my childhood, but nothing prepares you for the shear violence of womens football. The thought of playing a game that was designed for the stronger necks and weaker thighs of men, against the level aggression women are capable of is frankly scary.

Fairer sex my :censored:

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
The closest I ever came to a woman bushcrafter was when I walking in the forest and heard an arrow swoosh close by me. I didn't know what it was at first, until I looked over to my left and saw a woman bow hunter in a tree about 75 yards away.

It was NOT cupids arrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE