Bushmoot previews, hopes, queries.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ps. Is there any kind of itinerary established, times etc. for the different workshops yet?
They tend to be posted in the classroom each morning detailing what is going on throughout the day...... you can garuntee that if it was all organised and posted in advance something would happen to upset the plans. I think some of the instructors have organised times etc.... but this is very loose and may change.

Ed

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Ed said:
They tend to be posted in the classroom each morning detailing what is going on throughout the day...... you can garuntee that if it was all organised and posted in advance something would happen to upset the plans. I think some of the instructors have organised times etc.... but this is very loose and may change.

Ed

Cheers Ed. I'd just noticed that people had said one or two courses we're booked up....I wondered if I'd been missing the boat a bit.

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I'd just noticed that people had said one or two courses we're booked up....I wondered if I'd been missing the boat a bit.
The flint knapping (which needed to be pre booked as there are finite places) is booked up for the day ..... but if there is enough interest there is talk of running a second one for those that were not able to book in advance.

:D
Ed

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
scruff said:
Cheers Ed. I'd just noticed that people had said one or two courses we're booked up....I wondered if I'd been missing the boat a bit.

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

i think the only full workshop is the first day with John flint knapping but i may be wrong the moots as Ed has said are very fluid things so just go with the flow you'll have a great time.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'm up for anything thats going on, hough I'll have to moderate it with a bit of family time. I can offer some tuition to budding archers though my bows are somewhat heavy for first-timers.

See you all there

Ogri the trog

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Hi everyone! Like some of us I will travel by train.

Would anyone be so kind as giving me a lift from Bridgend railway station? I'll arrive on Friday, possibly around 1pm like last year but I don't know this year's rail timetable yet. I will know tomorrow and come back here to let you know.

Thanks for any assistance

Nomade

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
My main wish is to manage Fire by Friction this time around - that would be grand. Other than that I'd love to get some tracking practice in, and will be happy simply wandering around, taking in all the lovely woodland. Somone mentioned a birdsong ID walk as well - that could be good.

If the flint knapping does have a second day, I'd be interested in getting another go in after last year!

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
rich59 said:
Is any fishing allowed? Sea or river? Is there shell fish that could be collected? What about rabbiting or foraging for any other wild food?

FIshing on the beach is OK, however fishing on the river is a bit more complicated. Upstream of the sewage works the fishing is private. Between the sewage works and the sea fishing on the river is permitted but only from the east bank and NOT from the Merthyr Mawr side. The reason for this is that Merthyr Mawr Estate are happy to give people permission to have access across the dunes but not for the purposes of fishing (Access to the dunes is only permissive)

Rabbiting is also not permitted on the dunes or anywhere else on the Estate, likewise for pheasants. I'll have a word with the gamekeeper and see if its possible for him to get some rabbits if anyone wants any.

Wild food foraging is also technically not allowed on the dunes (as far as I understand things) as it is an National Nature Reserve and the removal of plant material is not permitted. However, provided that plants are not being uprooted, only a small amount of material is taken, and the plant is not protected by law there should not be a problem.

Sorry about all this but I would hate anyone to fall foul of the gamekeeper :cussing: (or the Reserve Warden :cussing: :cussing: ;) ) taken to court and the future of the Bushmoot threatened.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Wolfie said:
FIshing on the beach is OK, however fishing on the river is a bit more complicated. Upstream of the sewage works the fishing is private. Between the sewage works and the sea fishing on the river is permitted but only from the east bank and NOT from the Merthyr Mawr side. The reason for this is that Merthyr Mawr Estate are happy to give people permission to have access across the dunes but not for the purposes of fishing (Access to the dunes is only permissive)

Rabbiting is also not permitted on the dunes or anywhere else on the Estate, likewise for pheasants. I'll have a word with the gamekeeper and see if its possible for him to get some rabbits if anyone wants any.

Wild food foraging is also technically not allowed on the dunes (as far as I understand things) as it is an National Nature Reserve and the removal of plant material is not permitted. However, provided that plants are not being uprooted, only a small amount of material is taken, and the plant is not protected by law there should not be a problem.

Sorry about all this but I would hate anyone to fall foul of the gamekeeper :cussing: (or the Reserve Warden :cussing: :cussing: ;) ) taken to court and the future of the Bushmoot threatened.

Thanks for clarifying that - I'm sure no one wants to break the rules. :You_Rock_

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Awwww......At this point I should be sayin'....''Pirate''.....an'.....''Guidlines''......but that would be silly... :lmao: ....
Unless.... we cobble together a coracle an' paddle o'er t' the east bank!..nah......somehow methinks the fishin' be scupered...... :(

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Cap'n Badger said:
Awwww......At this point I should be sayin'....''Pirate''.....an'.....''Guidlines''......but that would be silly... :lmao: ....
Unless.... we cobble together a coracle an' paddle o'er t' the east bank!..nah......somehow methinks the fishin' be scupered...... :(

Stick to the code Cap'n... ;)

I'm up for beachcasting or spinning off the black rocks, no harm there...

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Ogri the trog said:
Not a problem there Scruff, it gets easier every time you do it.

Ogri the trog

You sir are a gent! I thank you.

Maybe if the price is right I'll get a couple we can make a meal out of it :D

In terms of fishing....and I'm pretty clueless here, don't Mackerel like to hang around near poo factory (aka sewage works) outlets? If so can they be caught down yonder?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE