Bushmoot previews, hopes, queries.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
This thread might be used for people to say what they be bringing to the bushmoot and what they hope they may learn or get out of it.

I am very excited to be running some hand drill tutorials. I should be down by Saturday lunch time with a bundle of elder and teasel drills and a handful of other drills. I aim to run 2 workshops: one Saturday pm and one Monday pm. A 2 day gap may help any sore hands to heal so you can get another shot, or maybe to get in some practice. In both workshops the key thing will be the technique to get a coal. But to either workshop feel free to bring along any materials you might be working with, or acquire while on site. It is one thing to succeed with provided materials. It is altogether better to find your own materials and then succeed. I don't know if there might be any reason to limit numbers - I hope not. I hope that some people might come to both and follow up on where they left off the first time. We might try thumb loops, floating, splicing, speed drilling, difficult woods, flimsy stems, etc if there is interest.

I am also bringing the beginnings of an elder pipe musical instrument - similar to Pan Pipes but not put together yet. I hope to get some inspiration on how to finish it.

Although I will be mostly in a tent I hope to try one night in my new hammock.

I hope to get in some walking, to learn some knapping, compare my bow drilling with others and to meet up with some old friends and make some new.

Is any fishing allowed? Sea or river? Is there shell fish that could be collected? What about rabbiting or foraging for any other wild food? It is not that I expect to do any of this as I have no experience of it but would be interested to learn if these things were acceptable to do. Or do we leave nature as we find it and expect to bring all our own food?

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Me?

Well, I want to finish my ash longbow (Bardster!!!!! ;) )
Cordage, again!
Hand drill (Sign me up Rich)
Plant ident
foraging

Might bring a couple of handlines for fishing - I'll see what I can find in the shed... :)

brewing up, chilling out, chatting, laughing, imbibing :D

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
weekend_warrior~''brewing up, chilling out, chatting, laughing, imbibing''.....

Oh yes.......... :You_Rock_

Meetin' new peeps......bit o' hand drill....or' L-bow' drill defo....A chance t'use me new hammock..(old one died in terrible fire accident....don't ask)....foragin'....Count me in fer some fishin'.....(always carries a line an' some hooks)....generally swapin' stories an' sharin' rum :beerchug:

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I thought there was no fishing allowed? Maybe that was just on the river. I'm not putting my flies in the sea.

Oo, oo - I've just been upgraded.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i'm looking forward to helping run the bushmoot for the first time which should be good fun

i can't wait to meat Mors
i haven't seen john and val lord for a while there very lovely people and great fun
6 days in my hammock Bliss
hand drill
bow drill
cordage
napping
Roda's tracking workshop
i have a flat bow to finish
i want to build some traps with Stuart
i hope mine and Leon's leather work shop will be interesting and informative
and the best thing about the moot is catching up with old friends and meeting new ones ]

and loads of other stuff I dont think I'll fit it all in I'd need a fortnight for that

I'm going to site tonight so we can start to set up tomorrow I'll see ya all there

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Well now I've seen that you're doing some hand drill sessions Rich, I would like to have a go (didn't get round to it at Chedworth) and having seen some examples of James' leather work, I think a look in on his session will be good too!

At the very least, just getting away and relaxing with a great bunch of folks will do me!

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
PJMCBear said:
I thought there was no fishing allowed? Maybe that was just on the river. I'm not putting my flies in the sea.

Oo, oo - I've just been upgraded.

I have just checked with the local EA and we are fine to use handlines into the sea from the rocks or beach, but the estuary might be an issue... Rods allowed too, of course.

No license required, but responsible fishing is mandatory! I'll be bringing a couple of handlines (might chuck a beachcaster in the boot too), flatty hooks, weights, lures etc. Limpets for bait, sweaters for goalposts, isn't it? :D

I have the tidetables printed out for the duration too... :D

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0512&PredictionLength=7

(watch out for the daylight saving setting - needs to be set to 1 hour)

buffalobill

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2005
Wales
I'm up for some fishing this weekend too. Packed my beachcaster for the ledges and a small spinning rod for the estuary.

I've got some frozen mackerel in the freezer for bait - but they'll probably end up being main course instead :rolleyes:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Handdrill? I'm there! Looking forward to honing the old bow-drill, too. Finishing off my longbow. Trying out camping in a hammock, tracking workshop, mors....well there's too much to fit in this little box.

I'd be up for trying fishing, weekend_warrior. I remember you talking about it last time. By the way, which train are you getting?

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Biddlesby said:
I'd be up for trying fishing, weekend_warrior. I remember you talking about it last time. By the way, which train are you getting?

Cool for the fishing! Err... I'm driving up this time - too much of a tackle tart for the train... ;)

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Aww - it's much more of an adventure going on a train! It's also far too tempting to fill up the car with chairs, tables, and so on! Anyway, see you there.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Well I've only previously attended a very rainy north meet and I must apologies I was a little on the quiet side when it came to the workshops.

Hopefully I'll be able to fill in some extensive holes in my plantlore and practice some hand drilling (well if my hands are feeling up to it) and I'll defo be trying to learn from the leather masters, hopefully get a few tips for my future sheath making endeavors.

Meeting you folks and being humbled by my lack of bushcraftyness :eek:

And lastly relaxing....in any shade I can find so I don't turn into a lobster :D

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Rhoda may well have her partner Kurt with her. I think he can handle himself and she could certainly track you down like a dog. :lmao:

I have had the pleasure of attending a few events with Rhoda she is very skilled and I am looking forward to attending her talk.

I am bring along a few 3Ds so if anyone wants to ping a few arrows with there newly made bows that shouldn't be a problem. I am only able to attend Sat/Sun as work commitments dont allow for an extended jolly.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Rhoda may well have her partner Kurt with her. I think he can handle himself and she could certainly track you down like a dog
Are they comming? I thought her sisters wedding had been changed to the same date as the moot :(

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE