Bushmaster Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
don't forget a good first aid kit wenn you'r "playing" with these "toys".
but more importent, learn to use your knife, saws and axe correctly. preventing accident is beter than curring it. Just a tip wenn you start with sharp stuff.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Emdiesse said:
I'm sure my parents wouldn't approve of their house being full of sharp knives, lol.

neither do mine.. dont let that stop you.. my dad is actually starting to be interested!

Emdiesse said:
I'm 16 BTW, so legally, in the UK i can buy a knife. However currently i have no need for one. On the other hand seen as i am interested in bushcraft i can see my self getting one soon, when it is nessecary.

im 18 :wave: in the uk you have to be 18 to buy one IIRC or at least many places wont sell them to under 18s

raymears.com said:
NOT AVAILABLE TO ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18
but you can be given one as a gift and own one and use and carry one with good reason (bushcraft is a reason if your in/on the way to/from the woods)

have fun

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The Frost Mora is an excellant starting knife, think its priced at around £10. I started with one of them before progressing to a Puukko style knife www.thetradingpost.co.uk . I know carry a small axe (GB Mini) or Billhook, my Knife and a Leathermans.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ahah i have done some research

"It is an offence for any person under the age of 16 years to purchase most kinds of knives."

So there are certain types of knives available for 16+, probably stuff like leatherman's and SAK's. And for the knives in question 18 is probably the age people start seeling these types of knives, yes?
Also companys are probably able to decide there age limit

I'm suprised you can carry one with good reason. I thought knifes being carried by any persons, especially U18's would not be allowed.

So if you have a knife on the way home from bushcrafting they will not take it off of you/arrest you, etc.
Obviously aslong as your not waving it about like a madman meaning it is in your bergen rather than on your belt, etc and it is saftly concealed.

also what does IIRC mean?

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
So if a PC catches you and you explain its bushcraft
and he looks in the bergen to see what else you have
and you have cooking stoves, tents, survival kit, medical kit, etc, they would still decide thats not good enough and take you to the station?

I suppose my mum will always be there to pick me up, hehe.

Oh yeah, also i have just realised i do have some bushcraft kit already! :D
I have a medical pack, hehe. I took it when i went skiing with the school, i was the only sensible person to even think of it and my surgical sissors were taken at the airport, i forgot they were in there. Opps.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Emdiesse, along with being in this forum, a course with a reputable "bushcrafter" would go a long way toward your education in several aspects of bushcrafting and you would get a more practicle exposure to different knives and their use and your needs as well as other pertinent equipment. You have a bear of a man here already :wink:
Once you get a knife use it a lot in different settings and learn to take care of it as it will one day take care of you. :eek:):
just a thought

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
www.equipped.org ( please review our sharps section in the gear section form main menu on homepage.) Our ideal survival knife is often more robust than a Bushcraft blade WHEN IT IS THE SOLE CUTTING TOOL. Sawbacks first showed up in modern blades on WW1 german bayonets as a field tool ( propaganda quickly gave them more sinister uses.) They made a comeback with dedicated pilot's knives to saw through aluminium and plexiglass wreckage. Post crash use for survival was a secondary consideration. Even the very best, like the old Parrish knife,Randall survival ( designed by a NASA astronaut) Chris Reeve's excellent aviator and the Camillus/Ontario USAF saw at best moderately well in most materials. The 'Rambo' type bowies with those big teeth are utterly horrid for sawing. Sawbacks have two additional drawbacks. Most important, you are weakening the very spine of your blade where it is most needed. A secondary loss is the ability to baton the knife into wood billets for splitting. It can be done, but usually at the expense of a battered sawback and decreased efficiency. I broke my issue USAF doing just this. The Moras are incredible value. Consider too, the money your saving for other kit that may very well become more valuable, such as a good sleeping bag in a snowstorm. I threatened a blizzard once with my knife. It didn't work. I pulled out my sleeping bag and it retreated post haste. :lol:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Take your pick from the best bushcraft tools money can buy IMO.

selection.jpg

Get all of em if you can afford em....

Gransfors Bruks Small forrest Axe £40ish
Wilkinson Sword Woodlore £160ish
Bahco Laplander £20ish
Leatherman Wave £80ish
Chris Reeves Small Sebenza £200ish

Total = in the region of £500.00

Or, the budget selection...

Frosts Mora £10ish
Bahco Laplander £20ish
Leatherman Wave £80ish
Benchmade Mini Griptilian £40ish

Total = in the region of £190.00

...then you will have all the tools you will ever need.

Dont buy that "survival" knife, it's a piece of junk.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Martyn said:
Or, the budget selection...

Frosts Mora £10ish
Bahco Laplander £20ish
Leatherman Wave £80ish
Benchmade Mini Griptilian £40ish

Total = in the region of £190.00

QUOTE]

why the Benchmade? opinal is the budget knife surely

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Andy said:
why the Benchmade? opinal is the budget knife surely

Yeah, the opinel is cheaper, but the Benchmade mini griptillian doesnt break the bank at £40 and is a better tool IMO (especially for food prep - I prefer stainless for this). Though there is nothing wrong with an opinel if that is your choice and yopu can live with a carbon steel folder.

leon-1

This is not to meant nasty, but even the people in the Britsh military who have an ounce of sence do not use these.

Okay you get the odd idiot.

In reality we are looking at a large knife being 3.5 or 4 inches length for normal use and probably never much more, this is of course unless we are looking at Antarctic or DEEP JUNGLE.

Stuart will tell you about the uses for a Parang after his latest trip :eek:):

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Emdiesse said:
Ok. I think i'm learning here.

You don't try to carry an all purpuse sort of knife
you have several, each for a different job? :?:
Spot on. :biggthump It looks like Rambo's knife, cheap and not very durable. :lol:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Opinels come in stainless and are one of the knives I most use for food prep, especially when I'm car camping. The blades are thin and take a toothy edge and slice bread as good as many serrated breadknives. The grip is a lot more durable.

Opinels and moras are similar in that they are cheap and light so you can throw one in your pack at little extra cost of money or weight. I rarely travel anywhere without one or the other.

P

paul thomas

Someone has mentioned the Buck Buckmaster,whoever designed it is not even inteligent enough to be called a half wit,the balance is so handle heavy the blade has no chopping power also the sawbackis designedfor socalled energetic cutting which means you waste all your energey and get nowhere fast as for the hollow handle this holds two anchors which are so badly thought out they would not hold a toy boat in place.
Hope i have not upset anybody who owns one but for serious use it is a no no as for it being used by U S navy SEALS I can only shake my head and wonder.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Well, I have to admit that I was looking for some combination tool for some time too.

Not the Rambo Bowieknife, but something to cut, slice, carve, saw and chop with. It does not exist. At least not in the quality that you can really cut, slice, carve, saw and chop, keep your tool intact and keep all of your fingers.
So, settle for more than one tool and take with you what you need for each job.
I usually have a SAK with me al all times. I have a Victorinox Rucksack (the third know is 10 years) It’s a bit larger than most folders and it locks so I guess that would make it illegal in Britain (I live in Holland). When outdoors, on a hiking trip I usually go with friends. So we can share equipment and add some luxury to the bare essentials. Bare essentials of course are some kind of decent knife for everyone, SAK’s or Opinels seem to be favorite, a Mora is more sturdy of course but a knife on your belt is a bit of trouble when carrying a large pack. The ‘luxury’ of course consist of some vintage single malt, but also of my machete and a hand chain saw. That’s great kit. It cut’s like nothing i’ve seen before and if you have top you can take down quite large trees as it is two feet long. I prefer it highly above a folding saw, but of course you could differ on that.
The machete is I thing a bit in dispute for junior bushcrafters and I have to agree. It’s lethal, realy. That’s when it’s sharp. When it’s blunt it’s maiming, but probably even more dangerous as you glance a lot more. I think you should learn the chopping business with an ax, that’s a bit less of a killer and easier to handle. Learn it at home or in your garden, tot somewhere in the bush with no one around!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
woodsitter said:
The machete is I thing a bit in dispute for junior bushcrafters and I have to agree. It’s lethal, realy. That’s when it’s sharp. When it’s blunt it’s maiming, but probably even more dangerous as you glance a lot more. I think you should learn the chopping business with an ax, that’s a bit less of a killer and easier to handle. Learn it at home or in your garden, tot somewhere in the bush with no one around!
Ahem. Well i have a 33 cm cold steel kukri, it's blimin' big and very sharp. Could easily chop of limbs, but I still use it now and then for tasks I don't want to put my leuku into. If you have a book that says how to use big tools and you follow the rules, what could happen? I know, even if one follows the rules, accidents can happen, but adults can just as easily chop of limbs etc. And yep, I use it when no one is around. :)

Just my thoughts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE