Bushmaster Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I have seen these on www.wilderness-survival.net
BM1770_479220.gif

Are they any good?

They seem to me that they have a variety of edges for different purposes.

What knives are similar in design and concept?
What are similar in design and concept but better than the bushmaster survival knife?

Thanks,
Emdiesse

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Please stick clear of these "survival" knvies. Usually cheap steel, and poorly made. Also if you loose the knife you loose your survival kit.

I could be wrong but these are usually POS's

Just my 2 cents

geoffrey.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I would *never* take one of those things into the woods! That design is quite simply not very good for buschcraft and especially not very good for survival (where your life may depend on it).

Looks like a knife for the Rambo market, to me!

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ok, i don't really know much.
I thought that this would be a suitable kind of knife as it has lots of different edges meaning you only need one knife for most things.
I wasn't bothered about the survival kit, just the knife. If i am to get a
survival kit i wouldn't keep it in a knife anyway.

[edit]
That ATAX looks a bit odd, lol
I was just looking at the guys fingers that were holding it, are they bloody because he keeps hitting the back of the blade or they just appear bloody?
[/edit]

when your bushcrafting do you carry several knives then, all for different purposes?

Thanks

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
hollow handle disign means:
handle and sharp bit will seperate wenn used in chopping or baton jobs. *keep back 100feet*

agrassive looking spine:
hand opener, prevents you from putting your hand behind it.
*keep plasters ready*

cheap torch:
fail wenn you need it the most:
*keep a good flashlight ready*

cheap steel:
keepin' on sharpening
*take a backup stone.... incase you wear out your primairy one*

if you want to chop, get a hatchet.
if you want to saw, get a saw
if you want a small blade for small woodwork, get a small blade

all in one = bad at all of them.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ok. I think i'm learning here.

You don't try to carry an all purpuse sort of knife
you have several, each for a different job? :?:

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
If you want a hollow handle, go for a Buck Buckmaster, or a Chirs Reeve knife. Both are good hollow handle knives.

Geoffrey.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
well, the all-in-one tools, won't work well at any on things it's ment to.

you can quite easily get a folding saw and a small knife, which will out perform these all-in-one stuff. Take almost as much space and weight about the same.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
No No.

I would rather not have a hollow handle seen as survival kit, etc would be best at home in a bergen.

I wasn't looking at the hollow handle.
I was just looking at the blade that appears to be of a multi purpose.

=========================================================

PC2K said:

you can quite easily get a folding saw and a small knife, which will out perform these all-in-one stuff. Take almost as much space and weight about the same.

So you all carry several knives/tools that each do there own thing rather than a multi purpose. Yes?

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
PC2K said:

So you all carry several knives/tools that each do there own thing rather than a multi purpose. Yes?

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
yes, i do.

carring diffrent tools for diffrent tasks give's you the best of all worlds -versus- everything in one crappy thing, that does nothing well.

edited:

but it's all up to YOU, what YOU want ! if YOU hate to carry al kinds of diffrent kit and take on multipurpose one, than that might suites YOU beter. it's called personally preferance, there are no "right" or "wrong" ways.

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Ok, I'm no expert but i take three cutting tools with me:
1. A Frosts Knife - the cheap one from Ray Mears website. I've done most things with it, carving, food prep, sparks from firesteel, splitting, batonning and not done any damage to it, and if I do it'll cost less than a tenner to replace.
2. A Leatherman - loads of handy gadgets for doing odds and ends with.
3. A small hand axe - for obtaining firewood.

I would like a nice, handmade 'bushcraft' knife, such as the Allan Blade Pack Pal. But at the moment I don't need it. the tools I have do what I want and need them to do.

I would suggest that you thing about the uses that you will put the knife to and look for tools to fit the criteria you come up with.

Just my 2p

Paul

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Emdiesse i would suggest getting mors kochanski's bushcraft especially the knife chapter.. described there is the knife witch will tie you over nicely..

a blade of around 3-4 inches and a solid handle of wich is about the same width as your palm.. a knife such as those you will see time and again on this site.. if you are looking for a beginners bushcraft knife i would advice a frosts mora £10 is excellent!

a knife such as this is well complimented by an SAK (swiss army knife) or leatherman multi tool!

EDIT: simultaneous post paul!

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I have decided know that haveing multiple tools is better than an all in one.
I can see the reasons.

I will take a look at the Frost Mora seen as i hear that this is a good popular knife and its cheap for an added bonus apparently!

Then a leather man or SAK for the odds and ends

And an Axe.

I'm not planning on buying anything just yet. I am just collecting information :D

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ooh.. and a folding saw.. then you might want to extend you axe collection.. and by then you will probably want another knife.. then you will have £0 and a house full of sharp things and you shal be a fully fledged member of BCUK.. :yikes:

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
tomtom said:
ooh.. and a folding saw.. then you might want to extend you axe collection.. and by then you will probably want another knife.. then you will have £0 and a house full of sharp things and you shal be a fully fledged member of BCUK.. :yikes:

I'm sure my parents wouldn't approve of their house being full of sharp knives, lol.

I'm 16 BTW, so legally, in the UK i can buy a knife. However currently i have no need for one. On the other hand seen as i am interested in bushcraft i can see my self getting one soon, when it is nessecary.

Another thing is i would also wait for my friends to get some equipment aswell because basically, it would be more fun and safe in a group.

Thanks for alll the help peoples

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE