Bushcrafter Beard Oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some progress pictures

Some of the oils and carriers

Oils by British Red, on Flickr

Blending.....

Blending by British Red, on Flickr

The finished samples

Sample Packaged by British Red, on Flickr

I want to add a couple more sample blends, but need to give my nose a chance to recover first!

As you can see the blends have code names only...so there will be no chance of being influenced y ingredients :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Just a guess here Red, but I think I can guess an ingredient or two of the Insect repellent oil! lol!!

Fantastic, can't wait!

Best.
da C.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A couple more to come. I'm hoping for comments like 'green is foul', 'tan is really faint', etc.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Five different formulae dispatched today gents

Five Beard Oils by British Red, on Flickr

Please report back on this thread as you try them out. There is a variety of scents and intensities included so please let us know what you think of the scent (feel free to guess what it contains) and whether it is too strong or weak.

When we settle on some scents, we can experiment with different base / carrier oils to see what effect they have on your beard.

Have fun, I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

Red

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Arrived today.
Test 1, Red Squirrel
Light oil texture, lovely scent from first application into my palm ( 8 drops ) BUT I can't nail what it is!
At first I thought I was getting Patchouli, or maybe Geranium , later ,after running my hand through my beard I thought I was getting Rosemary!
Anyhoo, four hours in, scent still evident, ( and very pleasing ) no oily residue .

C.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting what you picked up....and what you missed Chris. There is an under note of patchouli in Red Squirrel, well done, it isn't the major component, but it is distinctive and quite dominant so I used a light hand :)

Most of these samples have a blend of essential oils to try to round out the smell.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Mine turned up about 8pm..... rather unusual working hours My Hermes :D

I'll try the first out in the morning after i've been swimming. Pointless slapping it on now.

Had a sniff of them though... all appeal to me... no bad scents in them as far as i can tell... though one ( green Squirrel) has a milder smell of that vicks sinex stuff..... tea tree maybe?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh you guys are good, one of the oils in Green Squirrel is indeed tea tree. There are two others but Tea tree is such a dominant note they may be hard to discern.

I know it will take time to try them all, but I am looking forward to your thoughts on them all. I suspect Black squirrel will be a love it or hate it one (its one of my favourite combinations but its quite unusual). If partners or spouses have any views, do please pass them on too!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Black has cinnamon/nutmeg? in it.... at least, thats what i get predominantly.

Rach says bit of clove/cardomon too?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I will let the others have a shot at Black. There are four essentials plus the carrier in it. I believe you can detect at least three fragrances as it warms. Its certainly one that I think develops over ten minutes on warm skin.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rach asks if theres a mint in the tea tree one.....? Makes her skin tingle she says :)

No mint :) It might be the tea tree?. I know what she is getting when she says cardamom. Its not that but I can see why she thinks so. Does she like the overall smell of Black or is it too strong?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent, that was what I was going for....Winter and yule. :cool:

I think black is for night, blue is for morning, green is for outdoor, red for the office, tan is for leisure.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Well, it worked then :) But don't be giving too much away. Not tried it myself yet... only had a sniff of the bottles..... but she's never smoked.. She has advantages.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with my first true opinion. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE