Bushcrafter Beard Oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are chemically different being oil mixes rather than using alcohol as a solvent. This effects the types of scents they can carry. Their purpose is also more akin to hair conditioner than perfume.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Fair enough. I suppose I worded the question poorly as well. I meant to ask: since they're both applied to the same general area (the face) wouldn't the reason for scenting be the same, and thus the preferred scents? (as much as possible) In both cases I'd assume it should be a clean and manly scent.

Brynglas

I've made my own bay rum aftershave but haven't tried making a beard oil. I can't say that I've ever bought a beard oil but I've rubbed both argan and hemp oil into my beard with great results. I'd be interested to see how you get on. Great project!

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I think sage and cedar would make a good mixI burn sage and cedar bundles for purufucation rituals and love it.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Citrus is the contentious one I think. We have so far one Yes, one no and one "only in moderation" :)

Some good quality Lime can work Red, I have a Trumper of Bond St lime skin food that is great.
I guess I thinking more about sweet smelling citrus, orange and such . I know they can smell 'fresh' but often I find them sweet, not to my tastes.
Woody,musky would be my preference, cut through with a top note of Lime?? Could work.
Nothing sweet or floral this end by choice.

Best.

C.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay Chris, got it - how would you feel though about a fruity citrusy one? Sounds like Mark fancies one like that. I will send three or four variations and certainly there will be a wood based one on there.

I am thinking

1) Woody
2) Herby
3) Spicy
4) Faint pine tar and other notes

So you would get a small jar of each to try. Each would have a different carrier oil (the softening part).

So we might find you like the softening effect of type 1 with the smell of type 3

Make sense?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Chiseller was saying about applying to a clean beard, good advice. In fact if you give it a wash with as hot water as you can, apply the oil, and then drape a hot damp towel on for as long as you can stand, then throw cold water on your beard. The damp heat opens the scales on the hair surface and allows ingress of the oils, the cold water then closes them again leaving you with nice silky, tangle-free beards.

Not only good for the beard but means you get more bang for your buck out of the oil.

Sounds an excellent project Red, will watch with interest and would be a buyer if you work out some nice smells. Things like clove, cimamon, sandlewood, clean earthy smells are my fave, also some of the menthol oils could be good. I tend to like the palate of smells that Crabtree & Evelyn use. A touch of pine tar would be nice too.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know of one company that makes and sells it, though it may be prohibitively expensive at £30 / 100ml trade. They do make some lovely things from the stuff themselves. (If you want their details PM me). Their anti midge candles are the best I've used.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Okay Chris, got it - how would you feel though about a fruity citrusy one? Sounds like Mark fancies one like that. I will send three or four variations and certainly there will be a wood based one on there.

I am thinking

1) Woody
2) Herby
3) Spicy
4) Faint pine tar and other notes

So you would get a small jar of each to try. Each would have a different carrier oil (the softening part).

So we might find you like the softening effect of type 1 with the smell of type 3

Make sense?

Fruity citrus one would not be my first choice Red. ( exception being a top note of lime ).
From your list of 4 numbers 1,2 and 4 interest me the most, but the whole project is interesting, I may well have my mind changed! ( one of my favorite things! )
Cedar , Sandalwood, Patchouli , pine ( not so much the smoky 'Pine Tar' ).

Best.

Chris.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have myrica gale, the sweet gale, bog myrtle, essential oil, and it's easily made too.

Two companies making/selling it. One in Bulgaria and one in Scotland. The Bulgarian one is a sharper oil, while the Scottish one is a more resinous scent.

It's used in tiny quantities, it's not quite a base note, because it does have a lot of top in it, but it needs an oakmoss to keep it lasting when worn with heat.
Melissa is very good with it too, and that's a lemony scent without being fruity, iimmc.

Sandalwood is always a hit or miss. Natural perfumers go to enormous lengths to acquire good sandalwoods, not just the ones used for cheap incense and some overly commercial gents toiletries.

The other one that comes to mind as being 'masculine, woody, resinous, not overpowering', is Atlas cedar wood. It's very good, and relatively inexpensive too.

Happy to share the sweet gale if you want to try some in the mix BR.

M

p.s. while I mind; if you do your trade with Xylaria, and would like more wee glass vials…for heavens sake don't buy them, let me know and I'll more than happily post them down to you. I have two entire crate loads of assorted sizes, but hundreds of the tiny little sample sized ones.
M

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have myrica gale, the sweet gale, bog myrtle, essential oil, and it's easily made too.

Two companies making/selling it. One in Bulgaria and one in Scotland. The Bulgarian one is a sharper oil, while the Scottish one is a more resinous scent.

It's used in tiny quantities, it's not quite a base note, because it does have a lot of top in it, but it needs an oakmoss to keep it lasting when worn with heat.
Melissa is very good with it too, and that's a lemony scent without being fruity, iimmc.

Sandalwood is always a hit or miss. Natural perfumers go to enormous lengths to acquire good sandalwoods, not just the ones used for cheap incense and some overly commercial gents toiletries.

The other one that comes to mind as being 'masculine, woody, resinous, not overpowering', is Atlas cedar wood. It's very good, and relatively inexpensive too.

Happy to share the sweet gale if you want to try some in the mix BR.

M

p.s. while I mind; if you do your trade with Xylaria, and would like more wee glass vials…for heavens sake don't buy them, let me know and I'll more than happily post them down to you. I have two entire crate loads of assorted sizes, but hundreds of the tiny little sample sized ones.
M

Thanks Mary. I have a tiny amount of the bog myrtle left you sent me last time - enough for testing I think. If it proves popular, I'll have to buy more.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right gents, the blending has begun.

I intend to do the trial in two stages.

The first stage will be to get the scent (or scents) right - both in terms of smell and intensity. For this stage, all the blends will use the same carrier oil.

After this we will adjust the smells and then experiment with different carrier oils (I hope that suits)

Can Ian, Chris and Mark please send me their addresses and advise if they have any allergies?

Many Thanks - Hugh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE