Bushcrafter Beard Oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Following on from the thread on beard grooming, I volunteered to make up some test samples of "Bushcrafter Beard Oil". I thought it sensible to start a new thread to avoid thread jacking the original.

We have a panel of three guinea pigs in the form of HillBill, Chris da Cat and Bilmo P5

The only hints I have as to what might be acceptable so far are from Chris which read

Something woody/musky.
Not mad on citrus notes.

Any other input on what makes a great fragrance or a useful beard oil?

Educate me here, I have never indulged in such things and, to be honest, always thought such things a little silly. However a number of people tell me I am missing out and I am happy to learn......so lets hear from the guinea pigs and the experienced beard oil users...

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
New to this myself Red but used Oliver & Jenkinsons Cedar and Lime recently
( Loved the Cedar, FAR too much lime for my tastes tho! )
The only time my beard, in which ever state, becomes uncomfortable, is when in is too dry ( air con buildings,central heating.
Have used Coconut oil to good effect as it melts at skin temp.
Maybe melt some, add some essential oils ,let it re-form in a small round tin and make a salve??

C.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can certainly do that Chris, or do a worked carrier oil blend to keep the coconut oil liquid. I have many ideas on carrier oils. I think argan oil would be interesting. We may need to do feedback on both the scent and the conditioning effect I think.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've used over two dozen oils and balms. That said , I'm so far only a regular returning customer to four so far. Different oils have different benifits and flaws....a lot depends on beard thickness, length , hair type and daily environments That the beard is exposed to ....

Different weight oils for zero to moderate hold as well as different levels of desired 'oilness' ....there's a fair bit to consider.
There are beard oil companies popping up like tattoist s and nail salons.....Some make a living , a lot don't.

Your a sharp pin Hugh, I'm sure yours will be "interesting" 😉

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've used over two dozen oils and balms. That said , I'm so far only a regular returning customer to four so far. Different oils have different benifits and flaws....a lot depends on beard thickness, length , hair type and daily environments That the beard is exposed to ....

Different weight oils for zero to moderate hold as well as different levels of desired 'oilness' ....there's a fair bit to consider.
There are beard oil companies popping up like tattoist s and nail salons.....Some make a living , a lot don't.

Your a sharp pin Hugh, I'm sure yours will be "interesting" 

Thats good input mate - thanks

I've no intention of making a living out it thankfully - but I do have a vast selection of essential oils and carrier oils from soap making, herbal remedies etc.

If I can combine them in a way that suits the members here, it would be fun at least, and teach me something along the way. I can certainly understand what you mean about hair type and oiliness. Theres a lot to consider - even beyond oil "weight" - absorption qualities, volatility, melt points etc.
Certainly I think you re-enforce the point that we need to evaluate on the criteria of oil benefits, absorption, feel and scent.

Thanks!

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
carriers ...Clove oil can be good , it's a fine balance though As is cannabis sativa oil . A lot use argan , etc as carriers .....more established one's tend to keep them close to their chest. Some will go as far to state the colour of the glass is benificial to the longevity and properties of the oils....

Here are a couple of sample vial sizes.....imho not large enough, as most oils I've used need more than a couple of applications before a true working judgment can be awarded.....sod it, I might start a blog lol ....
c99eadff665712c628f8cc3e6c8ffce4.jpg

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Will be interesting i see how you get on. I'd never even heard of beard oul until recently, let aline used any.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Doing this from memory of my wife's aromatherapy oils, but cedar is lovely.

Ahh what the heck, just dug out her reference book. Let's see...

Other woody oils available are sandalwood, cinnamon, cypress, frankincense (its a resin), myrrh (also a resin), juniper, pine, and sandalwood. I really like Myrrh.

As a general rule, in aromatherapy terms men seem to prefer what are called bass notes (deep, earthy smells) rather than high astringent citrusy ones. I would ask the wife directly, but she's gone to bed.

My other personal favourites are vanilla and orange )the orange oil she has smells exactly like a Terry's chocolate orange is is great on a pillow when I have a cough. Really soothing).

I've never used a beard oil though.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I was thinking 10ml samples ...that should allow us to try a few formulae. Thoughts?
10ml is better than most offer as samples. Folk with short to average beards should be able to gauge the benifit with that . The oils are best applied to clean slightly damp beards. Imho of course.
're scents again it's a balance / trick. Freshly applied it will be usually be strong (hard to describe , the way I mean strong) then it will either fade after an hour or be still noticeable hours later, as will sheen. The main thing it's that the beard it's self benefits from the nutrients.

When you can apply the oil the evening before, look, smell , as you like, drink an dribble all night and wake up with a good looking beard (no 'bed beard' ) then your heading in the right direction and your beard will reward you....

Captain Fawcetts Private stock excells at this. Just like there are malts....an then there are MALTS ;)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've never used beard oil but I do make my own mustache wax, the stuff you buy tends to be inferior and not give enough hold. The best by far I've done has been ylang ylang and patchouli. Bergamot and vetiver is awesome as well for an earthy manly scent but vetiver is one of those scents that vary depending on the source. Good luck with the beard oil, I didn't think that sort of thing would be tolerated on here lolz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE