Bushcraft tools that could be classed as weapons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Now this apparently is partly a question of semantics; "weapon" in legalize means a purpose built thingy and something that is used as. Or so I have been told. Also apparently "offensive" weapons exist but not "defensive" ones, a major lack of logic.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Now this apparently is partly a question of semantics; "weapon" in legalize means a purpose built thingy and something that is used as. Or so I have been told. Also apparently "offensive" weapons exist but not "defensive" ones, a major lack of logic.

Mmm.... every dictionary I have looked at includes defence as a use of weapons. Also, animals are listed as having defence mechanisms - so not necessarily manufactured as a weapon. Many peasants fought battles using farming implements, I doubt their foes worried much about the semantics of the fact that the tools weren't made as weapons :)

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
There isn’t a difference between an ‘offensive’ or ‘defensive’ weapon. The matter of whether it is offence or defence is irrelevant in this context when considering whether something is intended to cause harm. Something can only be useful for defence if it is capable of offence.

Reactions: gg012

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Can the lawyers and linguistic pedants please just sort this out quietly between themselves, like gentlemen, at dawn, behind the bike sheds, using their implements of choice? :swordfight:

Reactions: nigelp

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I guess even a walking stick could be an offensive weapon if used that way. So perhaps all pensioners, walkers, and disabled people should be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon.
We could go even further and ban cars as they have been used as an offensive weapon to kill people intentionally,
Carrying stones aught to be banned as well. I'm sure our primitive forebears were very worried about that sort of thing.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
This is strictly not true as an example shows: would you really consider a targe and a sword equivalent both in attack and defense.

There’s no rule saying that a weapon has to be equal to another weapon to be considered a weapon.

How about a targe vs someone unarmed entirely? The targe would be far more dangerous.

A weapon is a weapon. It’s intent that decides whether it is being used to attack or defend.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
yes you can use anything as a weapon but it does not become a weapon untill you threaten someone with it.

but that is not true for a knife. any fixed blade knife is illegal to carry without having a genuine reason for having it in your posesion. But that genuine reason is subject to the judgment of others just because you say you have a good reason to carry it does not make it legal.

I was looking for real life examples of people having to justify having bladed articles in their possesion. But I guess the lack of examples must show if you are careful the chances of being questioned are very small

Reactions: gg012

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Not sure about the targe but the buckler is very definitely an offensive weapon when used correctly, especially when paired with a bossed cutlass. Have to say tho that I've not got around to putting the counterweight boss on my own cutlass, too many more important things to do

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
They'll be banning walking sticks and umbrellas next. which is pitiful as some of us old men really need that third support leg, especially while waiting for my next hip replacement

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
yes you can use anything as a weapon but it does not become a weapon untill you threaten someone with it.

but that is not true for a knife. any fixed blade knife is illegal to carry without having a genuine reason for having it in your posesion. But that genuine reason is subject to the judgment of others just because you say you have a good reason to carry it does not make it legal.

I was looking for real life examples of people having to justify having bladed articles in their possesion. But I guess the lack of examples must show if you are careful the chances of being questioned are very small
No. I've been questioned a few times while traveling to jobs, because a cooks knife case looks like a knife case and not a briefcase. After the second or third interrogation [ because that is what they were] I bought a rigid attache case to keep my chefs tools in. I couldn't carry my steel lockbox because it was too damned big and heavy to move between casual jobs. Stupid laws made by stupid politicians.

Reactions: philipb

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales

No. I've been questioned a few times while traveling to jobs, because a cooks knife case looks like a knife case and not a briefcase. After the second or third interrogation [ because that is what they were] I bought a rigid attache case to keep my chefs tools in. I couldn't carry my steel lockbox because it was too damned big and heavy to move between casual jobs. Stupid laws made by stupid politicians.
Stupid laws indeed.

They are put inplace for well intentioned reasons but criminals tend not to care for the law. It only seems restrict thoes that want to stay lawfull

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE