Bushcraft Store Cupboard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Was just taking apart my camping kitchen store box.

Had this thought, what do you carry normally?

What problems are you still trying to solve?

I tend to carry, on a three day trip,: -

Basmati rice
Oats
Strong White Flour
Hot Chocolate - (Netto's own recently)
Loose leaf tea(with a tea ball) - Changes depending on what I like at the moment, but Breakfast, and Celyon have been most popular.
Coffee - (Nescafe, but often the stronger makes) - Would like to take beans, but have not seen a clever way to make filtered.
Marvel milk power
Rock Salt - Like grinders, but would like smaller ones.
Pepper - As above, wonder about those herb grinders, might not work for wet herbs, but this is dry.
Curry Power - Madras, or jalfrezzi
Packet Soups
Stock Cubes - Chicken, and Beef, but been playing around with the Veg one
Basil - Thinking of putting the herbs into screw top nelgene pill bottles.
Tarragon
Mixed Herbs
Cinnamon
Golden Syrup - Still looking for a better way to carry this. Thinking about those travel toothpaste style tubes.
Sugar - In case of fruit.

That is all that springs to mind, at the moment.

Would like to add a storable form of protein?

Also does any one know were to get powered eggs, the European, or US version, which actual tastes nice-ish.

I obvously add meat, fish(Tuna, live on Tuna), etc to this but I would not class that as my store cupboard stuff, because this stuff lives in my kit, until it is used.

As I said above, was pulling out tinned tomato, pasta, etc from my bigger camp box, and was just wondering what other people carried.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would tend to carry
A couple of rat packs
Fresh meat, bacon and a couple of eggs
Bannock mix
Coffee real stuff...) and sugar
and would probably end up taking some of the ratpack contents home....

Rod

On a new journey
Boil in the bag rice
super noodles
packet soups
cadburys hot chocolate sachets - full fat. Not the wet-behind-the-ears stuff
meat paste
oatcakes
salt & pepper (sachets scrounged from McD's or similar :nana: )
stock cubes - all flavours
cinnamon
ginger powder
corned beef
real coffee
decent teabags
sugar
couple of rat pack main meals
bacon
eggs
tortillas or pitta bread
Bannock mix/flour
fruit leather
tinned mackerel
Dried almonds
Ritter sport chocolate bars - the fruit & nut or (marzipan in winter)

these are in my basics bag and more of less go everywhere when I'm out

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Pasta
Dried onions
Dried mixed peppers
Passata / Tomato puree
Herbs / garlic
Salami
Sausages
Bacon
Eggs
Mushrooms
Rice (boil in the bag....it is easier to store, good portion control and it doesn't weld to the bottom of the billy!)
Stock cubes
Coffee sachets (2 in 1 with milk powder pre mixed)
Whisky
Nuts
Dried fruit (Mango at the moment...Mmmmm)
2 boil in the bag / freeze dried meals (just in case)
Powdered soup
Pitta bread
Mars bars in winter
Salt & pepper sachets

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Coffee - (Nescafe, but often the stronger makes) - Would like to take beans, but have not seen a clever way to make filtered..

I have the Jetboil Personal Cooking System and you can get a Filter plunger to go with it - works wonders

You can also buy tea strainer/coffee filter system from Blacks

Not affiliated in any way......

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
cadburys hot chocolate sachets - full fat. Not the wet-behind-the-ears stuff

Find the cheaper stuff is more forgiving, you can make it with water, or milk.

meat paste

?

Dried onions
Dried mixed peppers

Make your self, or something you can buy.

Passata / Tomato puree

Been thinking about adding something like this, especially with Garlic added.

Rice (boil in the bag....it is easier to store, good portion control and it doesn't weld to the bottom of the billy!)

There is something you can do, add sugar or something.

Coffee sachets (2 in 1 with milk powder pre mixed)

Used to use these, but I like Coffee(Level 5 is for weaklings).

Yes, now that is my sort of addition.

Found this
http://www.hawkin.com/find/product-is-06875

Hows that for you coffee-heads?

Wonder if you could rig something, like that, or like a machine perculator.....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree about the mug, very good indeed, only had mine a few weeks and am very impressed with it

Good price here at £4.99 plus P&P

eBay 370096183966

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Minotaur, if you go to ebay and search for powdered egg then select the one for cake making and decoration they sell I think a 2.5 kilo bag for under a tenner. I can recommend the powdered egg from there it's brilliant stuff and just like the real thing, I use it a lot.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I found powdered eggs at Tesco a couple of years back but haven't seen any lately.

Could try online.

Tesco still stock it in their cake baking section, most of the Tesco stores up here have it.

I use Lyons Coffee bags, individually foil sealed, ground coffee in a big "tea" bag. Available in most supermarkets and make for a tasty brew :D

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Tesco still stock it in their cake baking section, most of the Tesco stores up here have it.

Saw this today, but was powered egg whites.

Minotaur, if you go to ebay and search for powdered egg then select the one for cake making and decoration they sell I think a 2.5 kilo bag for under a tenner. I can recommend the powdered egg from there it's brilliant stuff and just like the real thing, I use it a lot.

The stuff on ebay is whole egg powered.

Wonder if that is the difference?

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
You can certainly get powdered whole egg from catering suppliers and cash-and-carrys, though it's generally in large packages. It has a good shelf life, however. If you can't access a supplier directly, it may be worth asking a local butcher, takeaway or general shop - they'll usually have an account with a food service supplier and can order it in easily.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
You can certainly get powdered whole egg from catering suppliers and cash-and-carrys, though it's generally in large packages. It has a good shelf life, however. If you can't access a supplier directly, it may be worth asking a local butcher, takeaway or general shop - they'll usually have an account with a food service supplier and can order it in easily.

Yeah, going to have a nose around. It is madness to try and shop at the moment, but will put some effort into it, New Year. Only advantage of being in Big City is the shops. Worse case, it is on E:bay. Going to try, and get some of the White version tomorrow, or Monday.

In this thread -

Vegetarian lightweight food, important ingredients?

They are discussing the protein thing, and have come up with Texturized vegetable protein (TVP), which sounds interesting.

Also might try some experiments with the Hoodoo's Clarified butter, and maybe Veg Suet.

xylaria

TVP rehydrates to 4X the dry wieght, i found it tasted a lot better if it was rehydrated in stock rather than straight hot water. Personally I find it replusive, as I have lived off it when broke, and it tastes like poverty.

xylaria

Cheap bread toast with tinned toms and TVP on top, or 8p baked beans:( . I can still eat nettle soup with cheap noodles though, that is pretty nice. I have made barley gruel so my son could try it, it is not that bad, but I couldn't live off it.

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I thought poverty tasted like toast made with cheap bread. :(

I know what you mean. However, cheap bread (for real nostalgia marked 'RAOC Bakery - Thursday'), is an essential ingredient of a proper egg banjo. I was going to say that chicken nuggets (and other similar processed rubbish) are the taste of poverty - but then I realised that they are more like the taste of ignorance.:yuck:

Back to the store cupboard, and has anyone mentioned dried chillies, or garlic cloves?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE