Bushcraft Store Cupboard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
mmmmmmm Egg Banjo.
My larder for a weekend will usually consist of:-
Some frozen stewing steak
Sachet of Asda Steak in ale casserole
Fresh onion
Fresh carrot
Smal Nagiline bottle of mixed herbs
Salt/pepper
A few fresh potatoes or Smash
Butter
Mathesons hot and spicey sausage(dosen't need refrigerated)
Bacon
Home made Onion and Honey bread
Block of cheese
usual Tea/coffee/sugar/milk powder
A Bannok mix
Trail mix of dried fruit/nuts

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Saw this today, but was powered egg whites.

The stuff on ebay is whole egg powered.

Wonder if that is the difference?

Some Tesco stores also sell the powdered whole egg, Supercook brand. I just made myself a bannock with it - covered in honey too - lovely :D

ScarletPimpernel said:
... chicken nuggets (and other similar processed rubbish) are the taste of poverty - but then I realised that they are more like the taste of ignorance.

True, but sometimes ignorance is bliss :lmao:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Back to the store cupboard, and has anyone mentioned dried chillies, or garlic cloves?

Have seen Jamie Oliver use dried chillies, not sure I would add them to my Bushcraft store.

Dried peppers, and onions sound interesting, but not seen them, might need to look harder.

I am going to add powered garlic to my herb list.

Some Tesco stores also sell the powdered whole egg, Supercook brand. I just made myself a bannock with it - covered in honey too - lovely :D

Think I need to find a bigger Tesco, but at the moment, all major shops need to be avoided.

I thought poverty tasted like toast made with cheap bread. :(

Think I am lucky in all my years in the Scouts, and outdoors. Anything can be made better. I also luck out in that I have a basic palette, so do not crave the high end foods. I think that knowledge is the big thing.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Dried onions are being fazed out now :(
Make your own: just thinly slice some onions, lay them onto sheets of kitchen paper, you can lay a stack of about three. Put in the airing cupboard for a few days until they shrink.
I used to buy dried onions, I just make them now.

I imagine that dried peppers would be done the same way.

I can't afford a dehydrator so I dry like my nan used to, in the airing cupboard :)

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
I'd dry onions in the oven; they'll take ages in the airing cupboard. Slice them up and cook them very, very gently for several hours. You can make incredible dried tomatoes the same way. Just cut them in two, sprinkle with a bit of rock salt and give them a long time in a low oven. They're fantastic added to any dish. I'd probably do peppers in the same way, though I find them best done by roasting, slicing and then keeping in olive oil.

Mushrooms dry well in the airing cupboard, as do chillies. Just string them together (make sure mushrooms don't touch each other, and slice big ones), and hang them up until they're dry.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dry onions and the rest in a food dehydrator, less than thirty quid and no flapping about with ovens and airing cupboards, why make life hard on yourself

Forget TVG dry minced beef, its easy, just dry fry the mince, rinse under boiling water to remove excess fat and dry, these 'hamburger rocks' work great

Batchelors still make boxes of dried peas, mixed veg, peppers, onions and mushrooms

Egg powder in Tesco

Tinned cheese in the bigger Tesco

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Cadburys instant is made with hot water and tastes "proper"

Not used it in years, but always had issues unless you used milk.

I must admit the cheapo stuff from Netto is brillant.

Meat Paste - D'oh Shippams or Princes

Was trying to work out if that was what you were on about. :lmao:

I'd dry onions in the oven; they'll take ages in the airing cupboard. Slice them up and cook them very, very gently for several hours. You can make incredible dried tomatoes the same way. Just cut them in two, sprinkle with a bit of rock salt and give them a long time in a low oven. They're fantastic added to any dish. I'd probably do peppers in the same way, though I find them best done by roasting, slicing and then keeping in olive oil.

Mushrooms dry well in the airing cupboard, as do chillies. Just string them together (make sure mushrooms don't touch each other, and slice big ones), and hang them up until they're dry.

Cool, something else to add to list!

Can you not make a food dehydrator... (Just what I need something else to add to the todo list)

www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooking/cooking.htm#Drying

www.jrwhipple.com/sr/soldehydrate.html

www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/dehydratorstryder.htm

www.backpacking.net/makegear/food-dehydrator/index.html

www.k-clements.fsnet.co.uk/dehydrator.html

This last one looks to make most sense.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not used it in years, but always had issues unless you used milk.

I must admit the cheapo stuff from Netto is brillant.

Was trying to work out if that was what you were on about. :lmao:

Cool, something else to add to list!

Can you not make a food dehydrator... (Just what I need something else to add to the todo list)

www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooking/cooking.htm#Drying

www.jrwhipple.com/sr/soldehydrate.html

www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/dehydratorstryder.htm

www.backpacking.net/makegear/food-dehydrator/index.html

www.k-clements.fsnet.co.uk/dehydrator.html

This last one looks to make most sense.

You can make a dehydrator, but £30 is not a lot of money for an electrical item that gets hot, I'd feel safer with a pukka one to be honest, and like I said, why may work for yourself

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You can make a dehydrator, but £30 is not a lot of money for an electrical item that gets hot, I'd feel safer with a pukka one to be honest, and like I said, why may work for yourself

Have you got a link Rik to these for £30, the one I`ve been looking at is more like £70 and more than I wanted to spend really.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Is it me or are the two most important things missing from everyones list

Beer

Not sure, I have ever had beer hang around long enough to be store cupboard item.

Sardines (been prefering sild latley)

I think the problem for me would be the tin. If you can get them like tuna, in a bag, would be very interesting.

Agree must stop making work for self, and that the non-solar designs lack a certain something i.e. can just see explaining one of them to the fire brigade.

£30 is a lot of money for something I will use once in a while, and then possibly not at all. Our pantry is the domestic applance graveyard. £30 is a part of the Leatherwork or axe course, I am going to do next year.

On other hand, why could you not build a box, and sit it on top of a radiator?

Just how much heat does one need?

J

Jimcatt

1pk. Dried Mixed Vegetables.
1pk. Instant Mash Potato.
1pk. Dried Egg Noodles 250g
1pk. Pita Bread (6)
1pk. Microwave Rice. (stir-fry or bib)
1pk. Beanfeast.
2pk. Porridge Oats.
Sauce Sachets - Tomato/Brown/Mayo/Mustard.
Milk Powder, Sugar, Coffee, Tea Bags, Chocolate Drink.
3 Stock Cubes. 1 each, Chicken, Beef, Vegetable
Oil.
Peperami snack sausage.
Primula Cheese Spread & Crackers.
Spices. (7day Pill Box) - Chilli Powder, Chilli Flakes, Curry Powder, Mixed Herbs, Oregano, Salt, Pepper.
1tin Ratatouille.

ganstey

Settler
Re: rice sticking

There is something you can do, add sugar or something.

I learned a trick a few years ago, which works a treat, but you need a cooking pot with a lid that seals:

1. Decide how much (white) rice (by volume) you are going to cook, and then measure out 1.5 times this of water and bring it to the boil.

2. Add the rice and bring back to the boil.

3. Boil on a rolling boil for about 5 mins.

4. Take off the heat and put on a lid. Note: this method won't work in billies that have holes to attach handles/bales.

5. Leave for 10-15 minutes, or until required.

Works every time :headbang:

G

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Wash your rice in cold water before cooking, helps remove some starch and helps stops sticking. The best 'non sticky' rice is Basmati rice, and a good water to rice ratio is about one part rice to 1.5 or 2 of water by volume.

After washing and rinsing the rice, bring to the boil then either insulate the pot of rice (a Thermos flask works very well) or allow to continue to cook on the lowest heat until the water has been absorbed. This method was shown me by an Indian mate some 30 years ago and it works every time:)

Thicker rice such as long grain will be more prone to go sticky, so it depends upon what you want from a meal, nice separate grains use Basmati, for a 'lumpier' rice go for long grain or risotto rice, great in puddings or with chunks of meat and vegetables added for a one pot meal:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE