bushcraft on a budget - help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The question of bushcraft on a budget has come up here often, the same advice is given as to good cheaper alternatives, and yet people still push the pricier kit:rolleyes:

Well said :)

I've been quite entertained by this guys site...

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters

And for this thread the 'Versa Shelter' and 'What to pack and carry' videos are fairly relevant, he manages to be comfortable in the woods with a builders tarp, blanket, rope and a couple of bungees, worth checking out.

Not so sure about his choice of knife though :p

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I had an excellent discovery last night. A cheap knife which has a plastic sheath, e.g frost mora, can easily have one of those fancy firesteel holders added. I used a ring of bike innertube, completely free off a punctured tube. It stays on when wet, and fits around the handle of the firesteel so isn't affected by the rod wearing down. In an emergency, it could also be used for tinder. It is held very securely, and I quite like it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For realy cheap gear, designed to do exactly what you want it to do - learn to sew!
Thats how I started...couldn't afford to buy top flight gear so I bought an old sewing machine for pennies and some fabric off the market!
Lots of trial and error (which was fun and added to my vocab of obscenity) a couple of how to sew books from charity shops and , baby - look at me now!
I got a Btec OND in fashion Design and made lots of my own kit.
I had a short career as a freelance clothing designer for folk such as Craghopper and Snowdon Clothing, wrote a couple of DIY clothing and equipment books and now rarely make any gear coz big companies send their bits to me to test for magazines....
And it all started coz I wanted to kit myself out on the cheap!
I took it to the extreme but the humble 2nd hand sewing machine can save you a fortune!

And I am still big and butch and capable of scratching the eyes out of anyone who thinks that a bloke who can sew is a softy!

You must all have seen THAT photo of me by now........proof positive! I make all my own dresses too....:rolleyes:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I fall into the "on a budget" category as well. I don't really have any tips I can think of, Other than buying things at Army Surplus stores is much cheaper than the highstreet.
I often go hiking in the same clothes , coat and shoes I go to work in! I have to, I only own one pair of shoes!! Its never caused me any bother and I begin to wonder why hikers need the knee high socks and compulsary bobble hat as well as the other gear we associate with the outdoors. I think so long as your clothes cover the basics of being insulating and water proof and you aren't going anywhere beyond the boundaries of your equipment or with cold/poor weather conditions , then there isn't any need for expensive kit.
Last year I went to see Ray Mears' lecture "In front and Behind the Lens. I saw a good number of people turn up to it in full hiking gear, I mean it was in a theatre , not the woods for crying outloud! while Im sure some did it to show their support , I felt many people did it to advertise themselves as a real outdoors types.
I was then dismayed to read somebodies review of the night in which he remarked "you could tell the serious bushcrafters in the audience from those that never even tried it.." Oh really? from clothes alone? There isn't any need for such posturing in my opinion. Ok Ive gone into a little rant there a little, but anybody on a budget will understand!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Firecrest, console yourself with the fact that the best (and also the skintest) bushcrafters use the least kit. No cast iron tripod pot stands for the likes of us.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Budget bushcrafting is perhaps the purer form of the craft,
Improvising and adapting less-than-ideal equipment to suit your purposes, never quite knowing for certain if your gear is up to the task that you ask of it. By the same token, its great to own and use "Gucci kit" in the belief that it is the best for the task but then your expectaions also change. There are plenty items of kit that I prefer to keep simple and homemade, as they're the things that draw comment at meet-ups - when you can encourage others to try their hand at creating their own gear, rather than the standard conversation of "Is that the Acme whatsit? " , "Yes", "Oh" and then part as strangers!
After all, we're all about sharing skills not labels surely.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I think there's nothing wrong with having fancy expensive gear, I'd love to be able to have some of it to play with. On the other hand, just because it costs a years wages doesn't mean it's any good. A lot of people assume just because it costs a lot it must be good, which simply isn't true. Not only that but cheap kit isn't all bad, indeed the budget option can be much better especially when you compare what you get pound for pound.

Cheers, Nag.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'd second the recommendations for getting kit from car booters. I've got 6 genuine nato flasks (not the cheap versions) all from car booters and for about £1 - £1.50 each (2 for me, 2 for my lad, 1 for the dogs and a spare, in case you're wondering why I need 6 :) )
I also picked up my Bivvi bag for £20 I've had loads of kit from car booters. Army Waterproofs, lightweights, and a fishing rod for boat fishing for £5 that was easily worth about £80 :D
Tetsworth Car booter in Oxfordshire is a very good one for Bushy type kit. ( a bit far for you webbie, but for anyone nearer who's interested) Some of the other ones are mostly Mums selling old kids toys and clothes. :AR15firin :D Loads of good stuff to be had if you go to the right one, and the season should be underway this weekend with Easter an' all.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
personally the kit if it does the job sod the price ie if it were free or a million pound i would still want it if it were the best in the business and normally the best are hand / home made cos the work and cost nowt.

moving on talking of cheep kit that does the job you cant go far rong with kelly kettle

drew

drewdunnrespect.blogspot.com

May 20, 2008
essex leigh on sea
well up untill the summer i will be on a shoestring budget but really want to get involved as much as i can, so what would be the best equipment i can get for a good price.

so far i have:

2 pretty good knives
a magi kelly hammock ( and maybe a mozzy net)
paraffin lantern
dragons breath fire starting kit
good sleeping bag
thermarest
basic cooking materials
35ltr vango sack

so is there anything i should really look into buying?

and just to add i do relise that there more i learn the less i will need to carry but this thread is really to see what i will need pretty much no matter what and for things that will help a newbie.

webbie

what you can do is go on you tube and type in bushcraft or bushcraft essentials and it does have on there a guy who tells what is a good idea to carry with you

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Don't forget clothes!
Imho some (ex-army) wool clothes are great and very cheap in army surplus stores. When I'm out, I always take my wool jumper from the Belgian army, very comfy and warm even when wet :) I must admit I also have some expensive gear like Woolpower socks and shirt, but I just got caught buying some more surplus clothes and gear from Sweden, great price / quality and whenever you get some, don't forget: WOOL IS THE BEST ;) (doesn't stink, very good insulation, safe around fire, comfy when wet, natural)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE