bushcraft on a budget - help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Of course the ones on the Magazine last year are pretty good, but mine wnt funny and kept flashing really fast. I swapped the battery but it was still doing it.

I susepct its because the LED contained a switched mode power supply and the switch frequency went AWOL :(

I havn't managed to find a replacement LED yet, but you can buy them on e-bay for a couple of quid so I will probably do that and swap the LED into the Bushcraft case :)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
well sorry to break your bubble, but the ones from dealextreme was £4.68 for ten (10) while the inova goes for £10-ish, the threadstarter was on a budget.

And further more, I don't really see any value in a key chain led. Get a good headlamp if you insist on using any kind of torch, that way you keep both hands free. Different color lenses are easy to make yourself for night orientation, map reading or whatever you need. But still, rarely use any kind of torch except during winter.

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
well sorry to break your bubble, but the ones from deal-extreme was £4.68 for ten (10) while the inova goes for £10-ish, the thread starter was on a budget.

And further more, I don't really see any value in a key chain led.

I was thinking along the lines of spend £5 more for a light. which on full brightness, can give you what looks like a 1wat of power. it is also very well made.

The value in a key chain led is that you can have it around your neck. the big idea being that you can easily find your larger torch or you then don't need it, because you have a nice torch for quick jobs.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
thanks alot for the ideas folks, they have been very useful for me as i overlooked a few things and and how to become a bushcraft millionare,

also found out today that having the first aid kit is always needed when i put a nice axe in my finger, really need more practice :D

on the torch side i am getting a dutch army surplus head torch quite cheap but if that isnt up for the job that gamma head torch looks like a good buy.

cheers

webbie

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Some nylon and a few small hooks. The easiest to catch living things worth eating can be caught with this and worms. Plus, you can catch other things than fish.

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Headlamps free up a hand at night and are much more practical than those little keyring led torches imho. Oh and a little bag full of broken up bits of those fire lighting bricks + lighter. Yes, lighting a fire with a steel or bow and drill is a great and fun craft but at 5am in the morning when you wake up tired to a dead campfire and -4C and it soon looses its appeal.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Headlamps are great but a keyring torch can be worn about your neck on a lanyard.

both have their uses.

I have a headlamp but seldom use it, I rely upon the keyring torch for locating things and a candle lantern as main light.

I also have a wind up torch for in the car.

paracord is fine in its place but I use cheap cordage or string for non essential stuff; its never nice to have to cut pricey paracord when something else will do

Have you a car boot locally?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Billy cans= i don't bother I use either a small wok or a piella pan. both cost less than £2. I have used noraml cooking pans in the past.
Cooker= I use a gellert pocket stove @ £2.50 I could be posh and get an army one which are better made. I have used various types of hobo stove in the past.
Most cooking untilsils can be made up on site easiley, like flippers/fish slice can be made be even the most un skilled whittler, and tongs I use 2 sticks (no arguments about sticks now, we have had enough of that this week)
Torches = use basic supermarket cheap things with string around the neck.
Termarest=hey thats posh:D I see nowt wrong with a wool blanket and silver sheet, it keeps me warm evan in winter wind, a cheapo foam mat does too.
Paracord= we use camping guy line as it cheaper and brigher coloured. The hammocks are on climbing rope that costs £2 per meter though I couldn't sleep soundly with cheap stuff.

you will need a good size tarp for the MK hammock, we use the group buy hex fly. There are some things i dont think can done cheap, sleeping bags, tarps and axes. That doesn't mean you need to buy granfors but don't get stuff from aldi and expect it to keep you warm or hold an edge.

Tescos do a play parachute that is 3 meters diameter, that is pu coated nylon. It cost a tenner and is one of the most versitile bits of kit we have. It has a vent hole in middle so it doesn't make for hammock tarp, it is also lurid colours. But we have used it as a bender, a bothy bag, a lid over a cooking area, and even a play parachute.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I remember someone wrote (maybe on the original Bushcraft on a Budget thread) that you can get tarps very cheap from builders merchants, if you don't mind them being blue. :D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I remember someone wrote (maybe on the original Bushcraft on a Budget thread) that you can get tarps very cheap from builders merchants, if you don't mind them being blue. :D

Usually they are available in green too. I use them a lot, keeps me from crying when the embers make them look like shotgun targets.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
not bad but I have had 1 and you just can't beet inova/ other quality brands

http://www.inovalight.com

got to agree here, it is worth paying that bit extra for quality that will last.

also just got my delivery today of a nice tarp (3m*2m) for a tenner posted any thoughts on the size? also got some 50m of paracord so that should be long enough.

also dutch army surplus head torch.

any more thoughts on gear and tips to follow

webbie

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The question of bushcraft on a budget has come up here often, the same advice is given as to good cheaper alternatives, and yet people still push the pricier kit:rolleyes:

At the end of the day, if you can afford more and like the labels then spend the money no problem. If you are on a tight budget and don't get to camp more than 15 or 20 nights a year, then use common sense and save a few quid on alternatives until you get the chance to camp more or have a bigger budget.

I'm sorry to say that there appears to be a lot of peer pressure on members here to buy "top kit" when in fact there is often no need to, especialy when you are new to bushcraft camping and maybe only camp in the warmer months. Having camped with several newer members over the last year of so, I can say with certainty that some felt let down by feeling they 'had to buy X' or whatever, it had cost them hard earned cash for some items that just did not deserve the rep they had read here for the frequency and type of camping they did.

One of my regular camp buddies is happy to use a cheap tarp from B&Q, in fact he did in January last in the Beacons, and this guy is one of the most knowlegeable bushcraft campers I know, so come on people, if the question is budget camping, then lets keep that thought in our replies and encourage personal kit development as the taste for BC camping and budget improves and not push people into spending more than they often have.

End of rant, no offence meant to anyone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE