Budget belly busters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
It can be alright with a curry if trying to cut the carbs/calories. But there is no escaping from the fact that is not proper rice.
I have it WITH rice!
The cauliflower chickpeas and onion are all part of the curry.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
You have cauliflower rice with normal rice?

It is some kind of Riceception!
Noooooo! I have cauliflower florets, chick peas, coconut milk and onion as the curry!!!!
…..and I have basmati rice with that, just like any other curry:rolleyes:

Reactions: nigelp

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mock banana, made with parsnips.....

:yuck:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Mock banana, made with parsnips.....

:yuck:
Bananas & parsnips bizarrely share several flavour modifiers according to a slightly too detailed taste-matching manual I have. Certainly when roasted there is a distinct similarity but not enough to use as a substitute as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: Toddy

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
On the original belly busting theme, I like to make a “Shepherds Pie” with whatever cooked meat comes to hand and the usual additions; peas, carrots, onions etc. To make it go a bit further I also add a pouch of beluga lentils ( from Lidl ) and a tin of budget baked beans. Top with mash ( and cheese in our house ) and you have a delicious winter warmer ready in 40 minutes.

Reactions: nigelp and Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love shepherd's pie. My ultimate comfort food.

Tonight, scrumped 4 large fallen cooking apples ,rather damaged but still plenty of usable fruit, made a lovely cinnamon and honey apple crumble. Free!
Can't get more budget friendly than that!

Reactions: Toddy

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Just been to the shop to get my Stilton and broccoli, came home with bananas and yellow sticker sweet potatoes.??????? Duh!
Totaly forgot what I went down for.
Still, nanas for my porridge, and sweet potatoes to go with my butternuts for soup. That'll do pig. :)
Sweet potatoes blended with coconut milk make a porridge alternative it's African .

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sweet potatoes blended with coconut milk make a porridge alternative it's African .

Interesting.
I adore them baked with a knob of butter and maple syrup drizzled over.
I add them to stews, and make sweet potato and butternut soup. But I only like the orange flesh ones. Aren't the African ones white fleshed? Or am I being racist (speciist) to sweet potatoes?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE