bushcraft on a budget - help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
well up untill the summer i will be on a shoestring budget but really want to get involved as much as i can, so what would be the best equipment i can get for a good price.

so far i have:

2 pretty good knives
a magi kelly hammock ( and maybe a mozzy net)
paraffin lantern
dragons breath fire starting kit
good sleeping bag
thermarest
basic cooking materials
35ltr vango sack

so is there anything i should really look into buying?

and just to add i do relise that there more i learn the less i will need to carry but this thread is really to see what i will need pretty much no matter what and for things that will help a newbie.

webbie

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
there is a thread with almost the exact same title, check it out.

I think it looks as if you are already kitted out.

warm, dry, hydrated and full of food? If you manage that you have the right gear.

maybe a small first aid kit?

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
Sorry, :rolleyes:

First aid kit, A tarp is a good idea, a little trowel (toilet kit)
a bit of para cord.

sorry shaman i never meant that in a bad way, just something i totally forgot about

how much paracord do you think would be a good idea, i can get about 50m for about a fiver, though that may be a tad over kill due to weight

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Get the 50 metres at that price if its good quality and cut some off
back to tight budget side of things keep your eyes peeles for other cordage especially on beaches skips etc
Consider a hexi cooker not the best or most economical in the long term but small light and cheap;its the hexi tablets that work out expensive for anything more than the odd brew
While I am here you may want to consider a good NATO poncho its a waterproof ,its a shelter, its a groundsheet
i do believe it can be a flotation device as well

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
no offence to red and shane but ponchos arent really long enough if your using a hammock.You would be better off with a tarp of at least 2 x 3 mtrs

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
sorry shaman i never meant that in a bad way, just something i totally forgot about

how much paracord do you think would be a good idea, i can get about 50m for about a fiver, though that may be a tad over kill due to weight

No offense - It was me that was being cheeky.

50m of 3mm para cord weighs very little. And as you pointed out your self - knowledge is the key so go out a practice :D

Have you considered a hobo stove (I note you say basic cooking gear) ?

You can put together a set (including billy & stove box) for between £4 - £10 depending on what size you want (you may even do it for free if you can find suitable bits.

I'd definitely recommend a tarp, prices vary, as do spec's, I'm currently considering the USMC 3m x 3m as its a good spec & size for the price (no links etc).

Also you definitely need a FAK as you've got knives, aside from the fact that many components of a FAK would be suitable in a survival situation so you save doubling up.

As you've got knives, you'll need to keep them sharp - you can pick up sharpening kits for reasonable money - Aldi were doing a good deal recently (again no links etc).

Hope this helps.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Haunt your Charity Shops - I find some excellent kit there! Wooden bowls, metal mugs cows horns, fleeces all for pennies.
I find animal charities tend to have the lowest prices...
In Brecon today there was a full set of DPM waterproofs PU proofed nylon for only a couple of quid!
Not my size though:(

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
What about a first aid kit? Wilkinsons do some quite cheap ones.

What about billies? I am about to experiment with some stainless steel tins from Wilkinsons.

Miltary Trangia? Normally around £12 but I use mine all the time and the pans are exellent on open fires.

Its also worth collecting small screw top jars and bottle for keeing things like antibacterial cleaner and sugar in. (Although not together!) :D Nail varnish remover ones are normally good!

One thing I would avoid though is cheap "Aldi" style trangia clones, they take quite a bit longer to boil and they don't seem to be quite so bend resistant.

Have you seen the "sharpening knives for £5" item in the knives section of this forum? That works incredibly well and if you already have some of the stuff you could do it for the cost of a few sheets of emery paper.

While you are in the charity shops keep you eyes open for leather belts, one for a really good strop and others for making pouches etc, I bought a ladies belt 3" wide and it is ideal for making sheaths I think it cost £2 :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
two items I find indispensable are

a wool blanket (you can find these at a charity shop or car boot, or perhaps you have one at home)

and a small cloth ditty bag.

this last keeps your spare clothes together and is a useful pillow.

you could use a cut down pillow case or make one from whatever oddment of cloth you can stand to have your face against at night

(an old fleece jumper might be a good source of cloth)

an LED keyring torch is a good idea

car boots are good for all sorts of bits

You didnt say what you intend doing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE