Bushcraft knife directory and why use what you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
This may have been done before.

Could you all please post up a pic of the bushcraft knife that you use.

It would be nice if you could give a brief discription why you use/like it as well.

Just thought it would be cool if we could see what everyone uses.

Take care,

Ash

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i use a clipper and everyone on here knows what one looks like so im not going to post a picture
leon

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Here is mine

CIMG2600.jpg

This is a knife i handled from a fantastic Stuart Mitchell Blade, it just feels really nice in the hand and holds a wicked edge.

Length 9.5 inches overall

Blade legth 4 inchess

Blade thickness 4mm

Handle is made from dyed golden lacewood.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I have the following to choose from: Fallkniven F1 and for backup I have four extra F1, an S1, a WM1 and finally a H1. I have a Leatherman Fuse I carry around everywhere and I usually use the F1.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Generally these days this one

DSCF1031.jpg

One off by Magnus Axelson (who has since won the Swedish Championship)

Blade: Göran Enocksson, Sleipner steel.
Handle: African blackwood, buffalo horn,
pewter and brass.
Sheath: Predrilled stitches, button with
mosaic pin, brass and pewter.

Why do I like it? Its beautiful to hold in any grip and the formed holds work holding the blade up, down, reversed and in a chest grip. I also confess to enjoying having a thing far more lovely than I could ever make :eek:

Red

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
I carry one of these three. First one is a cheap mora, second is from John Millington and the third one is a UHC Carpenter from Roselli.

298236483_d7c0bf7125.jpg

They all get used one after the other and depends on the mood :D

But nowadays I try to use this modified Case CV because I can have it with me all the time.

297575037_3744931612.jpg

singteck

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love that Case Singtek...I am currently talking to someone about a "fine and precise" bushcraft knife 0 I hate these clumpy "semi axe" bushcrafters. I use a cold steel ti-lite as my folder with a belt knife as I love the fine precision of the blade - I have decided now to let an axe do axe work and go for a much more subtle belt knife!

Red

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
As requested :D

Standard use is my WS Woodie with one of Rapidboy's superb belt sheaths. Depending on how i want to it carry i also have a neck sheath.

If i fancy it i also have the old dependable Mora

Usually knocking around somewhere is my Victorinox multitool. Useful for all sorts of situations (bottle opening :D )

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/ArkAngel_06/Woodlore knife/AllKnives.jpg

And a SAK "waiter" attached to my keys at all times along with my little LED torch

PS. I have posted the link to the picture, how do i get the image to be viewed without clicking on the link? ie the picture on view in the post itself?

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
British Red said:
I love that Case Singtek...I am currently talking to someone about a "fine and precise" bushcraft knife 0 I hate these clumpy "semi axe" bushcrafters. I use a cold steel ti-lite as my folder with a belt knife as I love the fine precision of the blade - I have decided now to let an axe do axe work and go for a much more subtle belt knife!

Red

Ya, it's a lot better now with that "grind". Modiffied it after it fails to cut through an apple. I am not a fan of concave grind, the top of the grind just gets in the way of cutting :p

A mini axe and a folder is all I need but I miss the knife :p so I am like that famous guy whose name starts with N.

singteck

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
any one of these depending what mood I am in.

the svord is my most used though...

by the way cool thread... :)

Last edited:
I have several knives :rolleyes:

But my favourite "daily runner" in a 6mm 01 Stewart Marsh with Diamond Wood scales. I think that it is beautifully made - the patern of the scales match perfectly on both sides, it hold a great edge and It's really chunky and fits my hand a treat. To be honest is my pride and joy. :)

Knife_3.jpg

Knife_2.jpg

I'll edit this and post some of my other knives including the knife I've used for over 20 years.

Phil.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Oh, go on then... ;)

Here's my Paul Baker New Graduate, along with an Opinel No 7 for comparison. Not the best photo, but it's a good knife.

01 tool steel, full tang, three zone differential hardening, convex grind, oak scales... It's got a "better" handle profile than a lot of other knives I've handled ("better" being an entirely personal and subjective judgement), very comfortable to use, does exactly what it says on the tin. I have to admit it was something of an impulse buy, but I'm jolly glad I bought it. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shinken said:
Red i absolutly love Magnus's knives but i would be too afraid to use one!
When I bought it from Magnus I said " its gonna get used - will it stand up to abuse?"

He said "sure it will - please use it and send me pictures"

Bunnyjointing.jpg

shelter5gn4.jpg

(shelter made using just a belt knife)

It seems to be standing up well so far!

Red

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
A knife, an Axe and a pocketknife.

Here is my bushcraft knife :

DSC_0156.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

I drew up this blade design after experimenting with the Woodlore and Bison bushcrafter type blades. I like the handle of the Woodlore, but prefer the clip point and shorter blade of the Bison - skinning and cleaning game goes better. It is about the height of a Mora blade, which makes it more maneuverable in Woodcarving. The edge starts were the handle ends, which I prefer.

So a mix. The blade is done by Steve Wade Cox in O1 and is about 4mm thick and flat/scandi ground.

I handled this one in English Walnut and it rides in a Waxed sheath.

Keeps a mean edge too :)

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE