Bushcraft Fashion Victims!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Ray is just copying us swedes
Swedish axes
Swedish tents and kåtas
Swedish knives (mora)
Swedish army shirts and caps
Swedish burners
Swedish Ullfrotte
Swedish trousers (Fjällräven)
Swedish handmade knife

Sweden export a lot of things these days =)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Viking said:
Swedish axes
Swedish tents and kåtas
Swedish knives (mora)
Swedish burners
Swedish Ullfrotte
Swedish handmade knife

Most of it seems to be down to Tommy!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Wonder if he drives a Saab?

A lot of the kit Ray uses has always been popular with outdoorsmen - Akubra hats, for instance. Likewise, Swannie shirts have been popular with UK deerstalkers/farmers long before they appeared on TV on Ray's shows.

I know what you mean about fashion though. I recently walked up Snowdon - it was a nice day and I was just wearing a T shirt and lightweight trousers. A lot of folk were wearing waterproof jackets, even though there was no rain, little wind, and it was very warm. I can only assume it was for the look of the thing.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I used to go to an indoor pistol range and I noticed that a lot of the patrons sported some of the "must have" things that were currently popular with that crowd. Things like pocket knives with a clip that you had to carry in your right hand pocket for extra easy access and fitted with a little knob to enable you to open the knive with one hand. And a certain kind of belt. And so on.

However, either I am living a sheltered life or something but I've never heard of Ray Mears outside of this forum. Ray Jardine, yes (don't care for him) but not Mears. There is not anything necessarily wrong with living a sheltered life.

All the same, most of the people I see out on the trail, provided we are at least a mile from the trailhead, not only appear to have outfitted themselves from the same store, but somehow manage to even look the same, at least after you allow for age differences. Only the bold and the few dare to be different, evidently. I won't go into some of the more gory ways I tend to be different but you get the idea.

Now it is true that there really aren't that many places to buy decent outdoor stuff, if you don't care for Army-Navy stores as a source, so it is very likely most of them really did shop at the same place (which I have mentioned before elsewhere). But a lot of trail wear has been in everyday use for thirty years or more, so it isn't like it is that unique anymore. And besides, there is only so much variation possible for someone going on an overnight trip to the woods. Ultimately, mine isn't much different. Then, too, I don't expect to be making trips to the woods that many more years so I'm not about to invest in much specialized gear now.

I still see a lot of people on the trail that are clearly much more casual about their hiking than I am now. But like I say, I don't think too many of them get that far back into the woods unless there is some special attraction that causes more than the usual traffic, like a waterfall, for instance. There was a time when I would take nothing special at all on a walking trip but at the same time, I never did long walks because I was more of a four-wheeler. That is something I miss, meaning the drop everything and go to the woods for an afternoon without a minute's planning or preparation. I miss the four-wheeling, too.

I have met some interesting people in the woods and I hate to admit that they all seem to be much more knowledgeable than me about woods things. But maybe I'm just lucky in the people I meet.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Viking said:
Swedish axes
Swedish tents and kåtas
Swedish knives (mora)
Swedish burners
Swedish Ullfrotte
Swedish handmade knife

I agree Viking! Its so clear isnt it! ;) :D :D
and dont forget our swedish firesteel designed by Lars Fält. :)

cheers
Abbe

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Damnit Johan! Don't give out our secret plan to take over the world again now when ABBA has failed!

On a lighter note, if you do not want to read "Oh Ray has this and where can i get it?" go to the DYI section instead :) Much more fun when we say "Oh Ray has this and how can i make it" :p

=)

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
AUSSIE said:
PS The Aussies will take the ashes, just have a bit of faith!!

England win the ashes.
Australia win absolutely bugger all.

Now, i am going to put my green gear on, with a swanni and woodlore knife, clutching a copy of all of rays books (signed), plus anything else i can think of that i have and ray wears, and run through the woods laughing my butt off.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
on the other hand RM uses good quality gear. why shouldn't we use it? yes it's expensive but a swanni for example will last for years. should i discard the idea of using one because RM uses it?
as to the colour, OG is unobtrusive in the forest. strewn rubbish is not the only form of pollution.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
tomtom said:
We draw from ray, who is by profession an educator, many ideas promoted by him which we often copy, such as his techniques for fire lighting, shelter building, foraging, cooking and most other areas of bushcraft, is this scary or anal? would you avoid going to a bushmoot for fear of seeing everyone using the same bow drill technique as ray??

Absolutly no influence on me :p I have absolutly no idea who this RayMears chap is or what he really does . :confused: This is, I assume because I do not have a TV . I also do not have any of his books this because it has been a long time since I have brought a general book about any thing , so none of his have come to my attention. Dont get me wrong if the bloke can make a living out of what he loves and helps some other makers along the way more power to him. :)

I started going down to the woods to play age 6 , forty years ago and have continued to do so, both for fun and for pay ever since. I have used some old books to guide me , I like many others have been lucky enough to have first hand demonstations by various peoples in my travels. My first fire by friction was from Iniut in 1978 along with bow drilling . :D Mostly trial and error has seen me through . I think many people these days are adverse to trial and error because its to slow :cool: and copying is easier but far less fun ;)

There seems to a great variety of people hanging around this site with a hugh level of expertise and experience . I suspect many are equally if not more knowledgeable as this Mears chap but are just getting on with it :D and are willing to share there knowledge for free :D :D

As for the Swedish thing I was untainted until I found this site and brought a billy set from Tommy :rolleyes: which after a bit of adaption allows me to make a brew without getting out of the hammock :eek:

But any way life is to short to worry about who wears what as long as they are happy :D :D

I

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
"England win the ashes.
Australia win absolutely bugger all."

Yes but like I said Australia get to take the ashes!! We lost so we get the ashes!!

Isn't that how it works? Cause England lost for eighteen years running and kept them, not once did English cricket hand over the ashes to the Aussies! ;) :)

Really though, you guys did well you deserve it, I take my hat off!!

Subconsciously I think even most Australians are happy you one it! A little bit of a change is good once in awhile!!

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
This comment caught my eye a few posts back:
'I know what you mean about fashion though. I recently walked up Snowdon - it was a nice day and I was just wearing a T shirt and lightweight trousers. A lot of folk were wearing waterproof jackets, even though there was no rain, little wind, and it was very warm. I can only assume it was for the look of the thing.'

I don't know how changeable the weather is in the UK hills, but I wouldn't head into the bush here in NZ without at least a rain coat and a woolly hat. If I was venturing above the bushline (around 1300m) I'd be taking a good deal more, fine weather when I set out or not. Wouldn't necessarily be wearing it though, but it would be in my pack.

It's interesting reading this site and comparing the different approach to the outdoors between Europe and here in NZ. For example, no one wears trousers in the the outdoors here in New Zealand. You wear shorts. If it's cold you wear thermals - either wool or polyprop under your shorts, if it's really cold (Snow/Sleet above the bushline) you wear wet weather trousers over this. Trousers of any kind are about the worst thing to wear here, they get wet (no 'if') and then they are heavy and cold. Crossing a river in any kind of trousers is pretty dodgy, you get a great deal more drag, and then they are soaked. Bare legs dry faster than track pants or cotton 'army surplus' type things. This even applies to snow travel, in all but the most extreme alpine environmets. Of course our environment is a good deal different to that of some of this site's members, Sweden or Norway for example. We tend to have a very wet climate in our mountains, although still plenty of snow and ice on the peaks even in summer. I think the temperatures can be nearly as cold, but generally are warmer unless you are out in a storm and have high windchill factors. This for us is the trickiest part of our outdoors - that is the changeability. You are certain to encounter both fairly warm temperatures at the lower level, and high winds that turn even a mild day freezing on the tops, and that's without the fact it will all turn wet and horrible at some stage!

Another thing, we don't generaly light fires very much at all. The philosophy is to leave the bush as untouched as possible. These days it is somewhat frowned upon to light fires. The trouble was that on popular tracks the bush was being damaged by people cutting it down for firewood. You might think your're the only one around lighting a fire, but thats only today. Over time it was tending to cause too much damage and is now discouraged except in an emergency. If you are serious about the bush the attitude is you'll respect it and do not need to damage it, buy a little gas stove of some kind.

Improvised shelters from local foliage is another discouraged practice for the same reasons. Buy a tent or fly sheet (basha), that doesn't require you to cut any plants down for poles or coverings etc.

Our department of conservation (who are responsible for a great deal of our back country) has a saying 'Take only photographs, leave only footprints' The emphasis is very much on moving through the environment without leaving any sign you've been there.

Perhaps for this reason the idea of carrying fancy knives hasn't really caught on. I'm quite keen on knives, I have a fair few, but only carry a lightweight leatherman in the bush. Except for those that hunt deer or goats, there is little need for a sheath knife, since your not encouraged to cut very much with it!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I maybe should have clarified my post - Snowdon is about 3500 feet asl and there have been fatalities up there. Waterproof gear is mandatory, and I had mine in my pack. It just struck me as odd people were wearing waterproof gear and sweating in the fine weather, rather than carrying it.

In summer in Scottish hills you really want to be wearing trousers - the midgies will eat you alive. Quick drying windproof polycotton is popular.

Ordinary hillwalkers/trekkers in the UK don't light fires/construct shelters/use knives, for exactly the reasons you mention. Bushcraft activities can be done in a sustainable, leave-no-trace way, but only if the numbers doing it are small, and they have good sustainable technique. The nordic countries have a long history of it, although even there some restrictions apply (I remember reading about a Swedish wilderness area where fires for drying yourself after a river crossing were allowed, but fires for cooking were discouraged.)

We should also remember that modern camping techniques are not impact free. Camping stoves and fuel are made in a factory somewhere, producing some pollution. A wise bushcrafter, with a very small fire from dead wood gathered over a wide area, scattering the ashes afterwards, may well be more sustainable than a gas stove.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
To first comment on nzgunnie's reply, most people I see out on the trail beyond the casual Sunday driver do wear shorts in just about all weather. I do as well and have apparently never paid any price, yet my habits are changing. Who says you can't change when you are older? I am beginning to wear long pants more often, usually plain poly-cotton, then fairly heavy wool when it is colder. The reason is my legs never seem to get too hot, unlike the rest of me, so it makes sense to just manage with a single garment. I have often been out in the rain and between shorts and long pants, I have decided long pants are warmer and also do a lot to keep my feet dry. I mentioned that in another post.

There are other schools of thought that are evident on the trail as well. Not that many people wear wool pants that I've noticed but plain blue jeans still have a strong following, whatever their disadvantages.

My comments and opinions are naturally based only on my own experiences and would no doubt be different were I living in another part of the country and also just might be a little different if I had different interests. For one thing, virtually all my outdoor activity is in thick woods, rarely in the open (out from under the trees, that is). Temperatures can be anywhere from zero F. to 100 degrees F. Snow is usual in the winter but not very heavy. It is usually humid.

I do have my own ideas and special interests, not all of which are within the subject matter of this forum, but they probably influence the way I do things more than any individual does. Then, too, local regulations also have an impact on some of my practices, sometimes to the point of going to a different place to avoid said regulations. For instance, open fires are prohibited most of the places I go.

I have mixed feelings about fires. They can be very dangerous and really are not so great for cooking, but are a great source of companionship, to put it one way. To many, a campfire is the essence of camping. But in places where they are allowed, firewood is always scarce.

It doesn't bother me in the least whatever other people choose to wear as long as I get to wear whatever I want.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
AUSSIE said:
Guys I absolutely love this place but AW MY GOD IT IS GETTING SO MAINSTREAM & BLOODY SCARY!! Cause it just seems as if Ray don't wear it, carry it, promote it or sell it! It just ain't worthy!!!! This is so anal it ain't funny!!! :rolleyes: I'd love to come to one of your Bushcraft Meets but I just am so scared as hell that it will be so full of all these Olive Drab garbed clones dressed in identical Swandris, belt carried "Possibles Pouches", Swedish Firelighting steels and RM Woodlore Knives!!! :confused:
I love watching ray mears programs and there is always something useful to be gained in watching them.There is, however, always a danger with slavishly following what you see on telly....I was watching ray mears bushcraft a few weeks ago ,trying to pick up some tips... During the ad.- break, and without me noticing, my mrs. switched the t.v over to extreme makeover (a program about plastic surgery).
I will admit i was confused but i figured "if it's good enough for ray.."
I'm now sporting a marvellous (if somewhat impractical) set of man-boobs and was wondering if anyone knows if swanndri do a gore-tex bra for "the larger gentleman" in olive green?? :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE