Bushcraft Fashion Victims!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
Hey I'm the most uncool clone on the planet :cool: .

And guess what?

I don't care :p

Guess that's why I do bushcraft and don't play football and wear a Man U shirt even though I don't live anywhere near Manchester.

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
If Aussie is indeed Aussie, haven't we all missed the point of this post?

The great Aussie sport of sledging and Pom bashing is having a hell of a hard time at the moment. They will stop at nothing to win at something. Having just finished bottom of the Tri Nations rugby(and lucky not to have finished lower) and just about to lose The Ashes, this is good a place as any to have a snipe and feel a bit better.

If it isn't about that, then the previous posters have answered the question quite succinctly enough.

Richard

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Sorry Blokes!! I was just having a dummy spit after having read yet another "Which one is Ray Wearing / using" type questions in a thread!! :)

Not meant to be malicious!!

PS The Aussies will take the ashes, just have a bit of faith!!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
richardw said:
The great Aussie sport of sledging and Pom bashing is having a hell of a hard time at the moment. They will stop at nothing to win at something. Having just finished bottom of the Tri Nations rugby(and lucky not to have finished lower) and just about to lose The Ashes, this is good a place as any to have a snipe and feel a bit better.
Pride before a fall... it really doesn't look like they're going to be losing the Ashes matey. Put it this way: 96 behind with eight wickets to go, they aren't exactly biting their nails :(
And I'm sure the post wasn't meant in that way at all! :)

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
AUSSIE said:
Sorry Blokes!! I was just having a dummy spit after having read yet another "Which one is Ray Wearing / using" type questions in a thread!! :)

Not meant to be malicious!!

PS The Aussies will take the ashes, just have a bit of faith!!

Aussie,

What type of kit do you wear and what is your preferred knife chioce for bushcraft?
Then we'll be able to look them up on the internet and compare them to other makes and models. I take it it's all better stuff than "Ray's" or Swanndris etc..

Julian.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I must admit that although I find Raymone Mears pretty interesting there are also others out there as well..Bush Tucker man being one of the better/more amusing ones.

It's worth remembering that as far as I can tell this forum is mostly UK based and at the moment Ray is about the only bloke on the telly so his views are at the forefront.

Also at the moment Bushcraft is a bit of a catchword after the Hungerford massacare made the term survivalist a bit of a no no.

I must admit that it would be nice to see a few threads that show knives used by other cultures that seem to manage quite nicely thankyou very much without owning Scandi grind woodlores (not that I am saying anything against them you understand) and "make do" with Kukris or whatever.

Feel free to argue with my opinion on this as it's just my personal take on UK survival/Bushcraft thing.

I am still interested though :)

richardw said:
If Aussie is indeed Aussie, haven't we all missed the point of this post?

If it isn't about that, then the previous posters have answered the question quite succinctly enough.

Richard

Ouch!

I am only guilty on the Olive drab front.
I sleep under a ten quid tarp from halfords.
Possibles pouch (my sky rockets :D )
Swannidri? When i win the lotto!
Woodlore knife? i use a nice spanish hunter that i bought for fifty euros and she's a beauty :)
Swedish firelighter? more like swan vesta ;) or i play the fiddle ;)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
AUSSIE said:
Guys I absolutely love this place but AW MY GOD IT IS GETTING SO MAINSTREAM & BLOODY SCARY!! Cause it just seems as if Ray don't wear it, carry it, promote it or sell it! It just ain't worthy!!!! This is so anal it ain't funny!!! :rolleyes: I'd love to come to one of your Bushcraft Meets but I just am so scared as hell that it will be so full of all these Olive Drab garbed clones dressed in identical Swandris, belt carried "Possibles Pouches", Swedish Firelighting steels and RM Woodlore Knives!!! :confused:

Hey, if it helps, I'd be wearing a red and charcoal gray wool longsleeved shirt with blue levi's and a wool felt hat. Oh yeah, I won't be there. :rolleyes: ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Abbe Osram said:
Sorry to ask but what was the Hungersford massacare, I have never heard of it?

thanks
Abbe

It's not a nice topic for polite society but someone has to explain.
A young man by the name of Micheal Ryan lived in Hungerford and was deeply interested in the "survivalist" culture. He owned, quite legally I believe, many rifles, pistols and shotguns. One day he took it upon himself to start shooting at some of his family, neighbors and other members of the public before turning the last shot on himself. There are many aspects to the entire story, many of which I have ommited, lets just let it lie as that.
The resulting death toll was horrific and the incident became one of the landmarks in British Firearms Law.

Ogri the trog

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Abbe Osram said:
Sorry to ask but what was the Hungersford massacare, I have never heard of it?

thanks
Abbe

Hungerford Massacare which in my opinion caused the government to re-think their gun policies (they banned semi autos and quite a few other guns over here) and maybe survivalists to re-think their name to one that is a bit friendlier.

At the time it was bandied about that he was a survivalist/gun nut.

Bushcraft fits better anyway IMO

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
hungerford was the site of a disturbed indvidual who reaked havoc with rifles, pistols, auto shotguns, he killed many people, which started the changeing of events on licenseing of firearmsamong other things. quick summary

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
stotRE said:
Ouch!

I am only guilty on the Olive drab front.
I sleep under a ten quid tarp from halfords.
Possibles pouch (my sky rockets :D )
Swannidri? When i win the lotto!
Woodlore knife? i use a nice spanish hunter that i bought for fifty euros and she's a beauty :)
Swedish firelighter? more like swan vesta ;) or i play the fiddle ;)

swan vestas in the matchcase I bought you, you tight wad :D

ten quid Tarp :) you sad git :p

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Many of us draw from ray, who is by profession an educator, many ideas promoted by him which we often copy, such as his techniques for fire lighting, shelter building, foraging, cooking and most other areas of bushcraft, is this scary or anal? would you avoid going to a bushmoot for fear of seeing everyone using the same bow drill technique as ray??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE