Bushcraft expeditions competition poll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

if you won the bushcraft expeditions competition where would you choose to go?

• Total voters

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
It was a tough choice between canoeing in Sweden or Namibia but Namibia won out, I'm fascinated by deserts. I'm afraid i don't fancy rainforests at all, too many things trying to kill me.

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
It's true, I did my degree in Zoology and you would not believe all the microscopic stuff that wants to move into your body and have a nice large family. I'm happy with things on roughly my scale- lions, bears, drunk drivers and the like- but Schistosomes, Paramecium and parasitic worms put the wind right up me. :eek:

leon-1

Ropeman said:
It's true, I did my degree in Zoology and you would not believe all the microscopic stuff that wants to move into your body and have a nice large family. I'm happy with things on roughly my scale- lions, bears, drunk drivers and the like- but Schistosomes, Paramecium and parasitic worms put the wind right up me. :eek:

A lot of the animals in Africa are already infected with these parasites, so much so that even the veterinary people are told you should never touch a wild animal without gloves in many areas throughout Africa. I know you will say that many of these parasites are waterborn, but lions and other beasties still need to drink;)

Anyway, I know that you will love Namibia I certainly did:D

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
I love Arid environments, I spent three months on Svalbard a few year ago but I've never been to a 'proper' desert. It's something about an ecosystem where the main competition doesn't come from lots of other species in roughly the same niche but there are relatively few species living in what are usually the extremes of their physical and geographic ranges.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Well, I voted for the desert but truth be known if I won I think I'd just have to stick them all in a hat and pull one out at random they all look so good! (or go to sweden as the one that requires me to buy least new kit!)

Roy's Badger

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2005
Kernow
Got to be the arctic for me.... desert is just too depressing, the only skills to learn are how to sweat and not swat flies. Jungle would be sweet too, mind, especially with all the ikea bamboo furniture to make...

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Already going on Arctic Sweden exped so voted for Namibia being my second choice.

As all options probably reflect the major exped types well, Jungle, Arctic and Desert, in reality, I would jump at the opportunity for all of the exped's.

Of all the folks you mix and talk with in daily life, how many have seen and experienced first hand, the Arctic, Desert or Jungle....Not many (Unless you are forces)

Purely my own opinion, life is not a dress rehearsal, if each exped becomes reality, my intent is to do all I can to be there :)

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Am going to Namibia with them in about 3 weeks time so have voted for Borneo, but would rather do their Canada canoe trip next year if given the choice!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Right, who voted on a 4 year old poll ?

:slap:

I know what you mean Rich, but I think that this is a good one to resurrect.

I can't decide between polar or desert. I've been to both, but since I like it either dry hot or dry cold, rather than the inbetween and constant rain that we get, I can't decide.

The one constant that I really liked between the hot and cold deserts that I've been to is that it never rained.
For a Cumbrian, it was bliss, and very, very odd.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think the Siberian/Canadian Borreal forest should have been there. One of the major habitats on the planet and a bushcrafters paradise. As RM's recent series shows.:eek:

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Arctic Tundra sounds too cold, and as I'm freckled the other 3 are out due to the sunburn risk. Looks like I'm staying at home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE