Bushcraft accidents research

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
It's why I don't like those heart rate monitors you get on some watches. The last thing you want is the extra worry of the death tone as yer heart stops in the middle of now-where!:eek:

When I realised the buckle on my back-pack's chest strap was not actually connected all I could hear was myself saying oh crap oh crap oh crap

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
In the nordic countries the three most common types of deadly accidents in the wild are fall accidents, drowning accidents (mostly people trying to ford a river) and hypothermia (in the winter months).

None of these accidents can be alleviated by first aid kits.

//Kim Horsevad

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In the nordic countries the three most common types of deadly accidents in the wild are fall accidents, drowning accidents (mostly people trying to ford a river) and hypothermia (in the winter months).

//Kim Horsevad

Death from any accident is impossible to alleviate; with or without a 1st aid kit. But falls can result in lesser injuries than death that can be alleviated; and hypothermia can also be alleviated IF the 1st aid kit contains a blanket and/or chemical heating devise. If I spent any time in the outdoors in a Nordic country, mine would certainly contain both.

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
Death from any accident is impossible to alleviate; with or without a 1st aid kit. But falls can result in lesser injuries than death that can be alleviated; and hypothermia can also be alleviated IF the 1st aid kit contains a blanket and/or chemical heating devise. If I spent any time in the outdoors in a Nordic country, mine would certainly contain both.

My point is that more or less any problem which can be alleviated by a layperson using the contents of a standard first aid kit isn't all that serious. The priorities are different when you are in the mouintains - days or even weeks from help. The standard first aid kit contains no products which will have any conclusive effect on injuries which at all are survivable under the actual conditions.

The blanket will do you no good in a howling snowstom in the mountains. The space blankets included in First Aid kits are torn to shreds in seconds in these conditions. The proper equipment is called a "Vindsäck" in swedish - it will withstand the wind. Combined with one or two tealights it is a good solution.

Vindsæk / Vindsäck from Hilleberg: http://hilleberg.se/sv/product/vindsäck
Windsack_new_0_1.jpg

Photo from Hillebergs website.

//Kim Horsevad

Gimli

Jun 2, 2014
United Kingdom

//Kim Horsevad

If the casualty is unconscious for any reason then simply opening their airway may save their life. If a faceshield from your FAK means that you perform CPR to good effect then thats a positive outcome from having a FAK. We can all think of things that you can not prepare for and that you can do nothing for no matter what. The important point is to encourage training and that people are encouraged to carry a FAK that compliments what they are doing and other kit carried, i.e. sleeping bags, walking aids etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...... The standard first aid kit contains no products which will have any conclusive effect on injuries which at all are survivable under the actual conditions.

The blanket will do you no good in a howling snowstom in the mountains. The space blankets included in First Aid kits are torn to shreds in seconds in these conditions. The proper equipment is called a "Vindsäck" in swedish - it will withstand the wind. Combined with one or two tealights it is a good solution......

Really depends on what you call a standard 1st aid kit I suppose. I think most here on the forum pack their own. And I've been on snowstorms in the mountains. And hurricanes on the beach.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....We can all think of things that you can not prepare for and that you can do nothing for no matter what. The important point is to encourage training and that people are encouraged to carry a FAK that compliments what they are doing and other kit carried, i.e. sleeping bags, walking aids etc.

Thank you; well said. goodjob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One thing that's worth thinking about is "Can you actually use the items in your kit?" There are lots of folk carrying kits who have no idea how to use all the items in them effectively. Can you do CPR, recovery position, stem rapid blood loss, safely immobilise an injured limb?
A first aid course or at least properly studying the relevant books would do most of us some good, even just as a refresher as I found things had changed rapidly since my first course.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Its not a bad idea to carry some stuff for other people to use on you if required (after all its only polite not to assume they'll use their own ;)
The kinds of thing you mentioned Goatboy are dead on. I think in the UK, except for a few remote places, you aim to be able to keep someone alive until "proper" help arrives. Unless you're the "proper" person yourself, of course.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
One thing that's worth thinking about is "Can you actually use the items in your kit?" There are lots of folk carrying kits who have no idea how to use all the items in them effectively. Can you do CPR, recovery position, stem rapid blood loss, safely immobilise an injured limb?
A first aid course or at least properly studying the relevant books would do most of us some good, even just as a refresher as I found things had changed rapidly since my first course.

It was one of the questions was it not?

anyway I've done it

look forward to the published results

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It was one of the questions was it not?

anyway I've done it

look forward to the published results

Could well have been, I'm afraid I haven't retained the form in my head. It's just I've known many folks in the past that think carrying a first aid kit is all you need to do. Someone will be there to make it all better for you as they've been mollycoddled their whole life.
I was shocked by the number of things that had changed from what was considered good practice when I first did a first aid course back in the early 80's. Also some equipment and medications have changed. I'm as bad as everyone else wanting to play at the nice things in our hobby like chopping wood, lighting fires and cooking nice things to eat. But especially for those of us who like to go off on our own then being able to look after oneself should it all go wrong is easily overlooked. Like when I was a tree feller, we had to carry a large wound dressing on our belts in case of an accident. There was a very real school of thought that it was window dressing as most of the squad either wouldn't know what to do or be in such shock that if you were in need of a dressing that size you were toast.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
The only dangerous bit for most people is the vehicle journey to/from the site, but there was no option for 'Multiple trauma resulting from road traffic collision'

Number 75 from my checklist of 120.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Done and dusted. Interesting to hear of the outcome. I was lucky in that work put me through the SLEEC trauma and resus training, very intense and stressful 4 days with 3 assessed moualges and an exam. The 3 day First aid at work course has taken a backward step in not having an assessment, apparently trainees found it too stressful!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE