Bushcraft accidents research

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Agree with Santaman, have had sunstroke here in UK and suffered badly for it in the middle of nowhere, have also had to drag a climbing mate off the Scottish hills suffering from snow blindness. Both could've been very serious if we didn't know what was happening and how to cope.
Other side of the coin but have also had to deal with hypothermia in summer in the UK from folk swimming in mountain lochs. Folk can go down rapidly and need immediate attention.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Your kit doesn't have chemical ice packs?

Lol...I have these in the base kit at work that stays in my truck most of the time but I don't carry them out and about. Often have a little suncream/sunblock 2 in 1 stick, packet or two of dioralite (sp) and a tiny pack of puritabs. These small items can help with the heat problems mentioned below but I have to admit they aren't SoP items to carry on every outing :) Having said that, they are duplicated at the bottom of various day sacs and outdoor jackets I use so cances are I'd have them if needed. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah, yes, the chemical ice pack.

The traditional centuries old treatment for heat-stroke, snow blindness and hypothermia?

So now we have a requirement that the kit must only contain "centuries old" stuff? And how do treatments for cold induced injuries (hypothermia) or glare related injuries (snow blindness) relate to heatstroke?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lol...I have these in the base kit at work that stays in my truck most of the time but I don't carry them out and about. Often have a little suncream/sunblock 2 in 1 stick, packet or two of dioralite (sp) and a tiny pack of puritabs. These small items can help with the heat problems mentioned below but I have to admit they aren't SoP items to carry on every outing :) Having said that, they are duplicated at the bottom of various day sacs and outdoor jackets I use so cances are I'd have them if needed. :)

Fair enough, they're a bit big and heavy for most short day trips. But Like you, I tended to have them with me when in hot conditions (all year except Nov-Feb here) when said trips were away from cool water sources. Not always such a big deal near the truck as I usually have a proper ice chest there and/or a 3 gallon water cooler.

Last edited:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Why would anyone carry icepacks?

And how would they be used to treat the examples given by Goatboy? Which were heat-stroke, snow blindness and hypothermia.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

And how would they be used to treat the examples given by Goatboy? Which were heat-stroke, snow blindness and hypothermia.

The treatment for heatstroke is to cool the body down quickly. Placing icepacks in key body areas helps do this: under the armpits or in the crotch.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I'd better take myself off right now and get some chemical ice packs and chemical hot pads for my first aid kit.

I had no idea of the risks I was taking without them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually it appears I was wrong about using ice packs not applying to treating snow blindness. Further research shows it's recommended to apply cold packs or compresses to relieve the pain.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Why would anyone carry icepacks?.

From what I gather about you Mate you'll be very familiar with the log run yes? :) Well imagine that, with various different sized logs and branches, albeit not at quite such a pace but going on all day, in 25 degrees or higher, wearing 7 layers of looped cotton and Kevlar on your lower half, thick leather boots with more chainsaw blocking material and a plastic helmet with sweaty ear defenders and a face screen...not to mention climbing up and down trees and swinging stump grinders about and surely it's pretty blooming obvious why I carry cold packs in my truck? Lol lol lol lol lol :)

Not ice packs to be fair but chemical cold packs. I remember sitting in my truck last year with a young lad who'd pushed himself too hard in the heat, had cool packs on him and the aircon on full blast getting him to keep sipping down water as we listened to a very interesting debate on LBC about schools and offices needing legislation so they would have to close if it got above 26 degrees....brought a smile to my face as the outside air temp showed 32 :) He was fine in an hour and back at work on light duties but the cool packs really did help :)

We don't really have hypothermia problems....we just work harder/faster is we're cold lol lol lol :)

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
The log run, a very hard event within an otherwise relatively easy week! :)

Incidentally, the best way to cool someone without removing their protective gear is to sit them down, with each hand/wrist in a bucket or bowl of water.

Very useful for athletes, fire crews, firearms teams, etc, so they can cool down between rapid bursts of activity without having to de-kit.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Possibly a good time to point out that the victim (in the UK) would not have any initial direct communication with blue-light responders, MRT or SAR.

Depends on the accident. If you have phone signal and you're fallen and knackered your leg, then you may be with it enough to phone 112, and give information.

If you are going with the deadmans alert that I mentioned in a previous post, then no, it's your buddy who has picked up the beacon that is talking to 112.

In theory, the blue-light response ought to be in minutes, however, that may be 30 minutes or longer depending on circumstances.

Depends on location and the incident. Cat A calls the target is I think 8 or 12 minutes. You may get a community first responder there to stop the clock in that time, with a paramedic arriving soon after... But that is things like heart attack, head injury etc... If it was a broken leg, get comfy, they may be 40 mins.

This is assuming an NHS ambulance is coming. If you are in need of evac by SAR or MTR, then get very comfy, that's going to take a while.

A typical MRT rescue would involve the victim fending for themselves for at least 2 hours, they publish stats so this can be verified.

I'm not sure how long a typical SAR (Bristow helicopter) rescue would take, I suppose it depends on circumstances.

I have concerns about the quality of response once Bristow take over. It's even more worrying down here as the base they were going to use - Manston - has now closed...

Also depends where you are and what you're doing....a small knife cut in the northern forests on a day trip isn't going to need much and worst case will stop bleeding sooner or later and be ok with or without treatment. On the other hand...if you are on an extended trip in tropical areas a little tube of antiseptic and a plaster/dressing to keep dirt out could save you a very nastily infected wound which if untreated could fester and get worse and worse....so in the north you might get away with not using a fak on every tiny cut and scrap but in hotter places a tiny little belt carried fak might stop potential problems in their tracks :)

Totally agree, A friend got blood poisoning from an undressed blister on her foot. Something that could have been prevented had she just put a plaster on it.

True, but on the other hand most naughty tropical illnesses are insect-borne which means your clothing and sleeping arrangements are far more important than your FAK.

Most peoples FAKs are purely cosmetic, it is the 'other stuff' that will protect and make good any injury.

Sunburn, blisters, etc, yeah they are likely and can be debilitating; but life-threatening they are generally not.

See previous comment re a blister. Sunburn can lead to other things tho, a step towards heat stroke, it may be combined with dehydration etc...

I agree that far to many people treat the FAK as a cosmetic item, and that they don't have any real clue where it is in their bag, or how to use it when they find it. This is not a problem with the idea of carrying a FAK, but with the person carrying it....

Yep....no argument from me there, just keeping it relative to faks and the discussion :)

Thank you, I enjoy it when conversations go a bit off topic, but I am very much interested in the FA side of things here.

Life threatening:
-Sunburn? Agreed. At least not immediately, although skin cancer later is not only possible, but highly likely. 1st aid won't stop that though. Sun poisoning is another matter though.
-Blisters? It depends. Can you still walk out?

Sunburn can come with dehydration, sun stroke and other funky things. It can also if not treated lead to proper blistering and then infaction. Treat as any other burn. Cool the area, etc...

Blisters, see comment above about blood poisoning. Clean it and stick a dressing on it early to prevent problems later on.

For clarity, the icepacks that we are referring to are the instant icepacks like These, not the sort you may keep in your cool box during the summer.

The treatment for heatstroke is to cool the body down quickly. Placing icepacks in key body areas helps do this: under the armpits or in the crotch.

What he said. In severe cases you want a lot of cooling, and fast. Sometimes people get confused between Hypothermia and Hyperthermia. Low temperature and high temperature respectively. For high temp, you want to cool fast.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I now have 102 of the allowed 100, so have closed the survey for replies. Give me a little while to process the data and see what the results tell us.

In the mean time, stay safe.

Julia

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Tepid water will cool a heat casualty more effectively and more safely than an icepack.

I do this shizzle for real all the time, I know what I'm talking about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE