Bush classes on BcUSA.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I'm sure a few of us cross the waters from time to time to check out our brothers and sisters forum, I have been reading their bush class forum more an more, Do you guys reckon it would work here? I like the idea, a collective and dedicated way of encouraging certain skill groups:cool:

Do you think it would work here?

Would you take part?

would you like to keep the same template as the BcUSA classes?

And to Tone, Admins and Mods, do you think it would work? has it been tried and problems found? would you be willing to work with it or would it add to much to the work load?

Many thanks chaps!

Southey.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am currently doing my bushy trips to finish off my "Basic" - I think it is great and could well work over here!
I see that the "intermediate" has just been posted :) I am looking forward to that too!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Seems like I can't view that section as it's private, and I'm not a member ... I think I get the idea and thought behind it, though if anyone could elaborate about this concept I'd really appreciate it :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Seems like I can't view that section as it's private, and I'm not a member ... I think I get the idea and thought behind it, though if anyone could elaborate about this concept I'd really appreciate it :)

Join up... you know you want another bushcraft site to while your time away on when BcUK is slow :rolleyes: :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, I don't think it's a good idea.
I think it'd be all too easy for it to become, "more bushcraftier than thou"

I come on here to relax, to see what my friends are up to, to see something new to try, to read what others are doing at whatever season we're in.
Not to do scout type proficiency badges. Not to amass wee certificates.

Does one have to then do the little tests on every forum to carry visible proof of one's proficiency ? or do they get affixed to the avatar and carried around like the medals on a Russian general ?
What about folks who've done the courses with Backwoods, Woodsmoke, Forest Knights, Footsteps of Discovery ? Do they get to add their certificates to their running total too ?

For me, and a great many others, Bushcraft = chill the hell out asap :) I'd rather it stayed that way.

cheers,
Toddy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
no there doesn't have to be any kind of certificate or tag afixed to it, just a kind of free teaching forum in a directed way, why would any other school certs have to be involved? you can still learn and relax at the same time cant you? why would you have to do tests on other forums?, i don't think it would be a one up man-ship thing and certainly not a craftier than though, just a way of focussing on core skill in a cost free way.:)

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I like the idea as it gives you a goal and maybe steps to help you achieve that goal. Looking at the BCUSA one i can do a few of the things it asks for and not others but it also shows some I had never thought of trying.

Toddy said:
I do agree with this though, there should be no kind of certificate or tag just the warm glow in knowing that your skills are improving and you are learning something new.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am doing the BCUSA basic course at the moment and finding it great fun - I am not worried about the cert at the end (though the badge will look good in my collection :) ) or being bushier than thou.
I am finding it a great way of revisiting some skills that I may have neglected for a while, learning a couple of new wrinkles and it is proving a good way of focusing on doing a bit more than "over-chilling" in the woods (read "doing nothing") - a bit like my volonteering to run a workshop at the Moot.
As a simple way for "newbies" to learn key skills to help them enjoy bushcraft without spending a fortune on courses - or even to encourage them to attend some courses if they get the bug :) - then I think they are beyond compare! Some folk like a bit of structure and the sence of completion that this kind of thing gives - I have coached lots of canoeists through the BCU star award scheme who have no intention of competeing in the olympics or becoming a canoe coach but who like the structure of the course (or at least the old courses - the new ones are awful!) and getting to complete a set of skills learning modules that can then be built on to achieve the proficiency they desire.
Strangely the cert and badge can even be presented at non related job interviews as proof of an ability to apply oneself to a learning program even if you are non academic ...fancy that :) - having fun can help you in real life as well :).
I will certainly be following the courses on BCUSA ... as well as trying out lots of other skills that folk post as Tutorials both here and there ... but then - I am one of those who enjoys structure and my certs file is replete with certs and badges for everything from computer programming to 1star canoe (flat water) - it was all fun - structured fun - but FUN!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
No, I don't think it's a good idea.

I come on here to relax, to see what my friends are up to, to see something new to try, to read what others are doing at whatever season we're in.
Not to do scout type proficiency badges. Not to amass wee certificates.

Does one have to then do the little tests on every forum to carry visible proof of one's proficiency ? or do they get affixed to the avatar and carried around like the medals on a Russian general ?
What about folks who've done the courses with Backwoods, Woodsmoke, Forest Knights, Footsteps of Discovery ? Do they get to add their certificates to their running total too ?

For me, and a great many others, Bushcraft = chill the hell out asap :) I'd rather it stayed that way.

cheers,
Toddy

Exactly.:You_Rock_

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I spent Sunday playing with fire in Holyrood park.....it was officially sanctioned, I was working for Historic Scotland's Ranger Service as part of Scottish Archaeology month.....in every way I could find evidence for use in the Iron Age, complete with a very wide range of tinder and kindling plants. Plants that I foraged for, or bartered with my friends for, in season, without any over exploitation of natural resources.

That's bushcraft :)
and I was joined by other members who came along to try, to show, to demo, too. That's bushcraft :D

The bcusa clearly talks of certificates of proficiency, John Fenna says he's finishing his basic and that the intermediate has been posted.....sorry, but that 'is' scout badges.

No offence to the scouts amongst us, I think you do a wonderful job, but I'm twenty five years past the time I want any involvement in scouting.

I don't have a military background, and I don't want one (again no offence intended, but military thinking does run to courses to be passed and wee patches to be worn)

I love the diversity of bushcrafting interests, the sheer range of abilities and environments, and I really wouldn't like to see that stiffled by some kind of social pressure on members to, 'Be all you can be!!!" and have the certificates (tags) to prove it. To fill some check list like Munro baggers who try to get through all of them, and do so seeing none. (The smart ones realise this and go back and do them all again, taking time to enjoy and relish each in it's own rich setting.)

Can't see how it can avoid the sleeveful of badges or the chest full of medal syndrome, tbh.

cheers,
Toddy

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I think it's good they have the tutorials on the forum as knowledge is an amazing thing when it's accessible. It's also good that there doesn't *seem* to be the 'gung-ho' attitude evident in the 'student' postings either. In fact it's very laid back.

However, I don't feel the need for a badge either, but if someone wants to go through the lessons it couldn't hurt. I don't think we need a version here as it's already there; so if you wanna, have at it.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Well said Mary.

I think structured learning suits some people and getting badged can be part of that, but it's not for everyone.

The Army has a set method which is suited to the Army.

I teach Jujutsu and that has a progressive/structured approach, necessary for safety and learning by rote, though we don't take ourselves too seriously and humour is a large part of it too. Especially when I duff it up.

When I'm doing the cooking classes in the farm kitchen it's done in a fun but firm way because of the special needs aspect and also the burny burny, sharp things there.

I use BcUSA for all the diverse stuff on there, but like you I want to enjoy my bushcraft and country skills in a leisurely "Oh I never knew that/seen that done before" kind of way.

Bimbling bushcraft is the way for me.

Liam

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I spent Sunday playing with fire in Holyrood park.....it was officially sanctioned, I was working for Historic Scotland's Ranger Service as part of Scottish Archaeology month.....in every way I could find evidence for use in the Iron Age, complete with a very wide range of tinder and kindling plants. Plants that I foraged for, or bartered with my friends for, in season, without any over exploitation of natural resources.That's bushcraft :) and I was joined by other members who came along to try, to show, to demo, too. That's bushcraft :D
Careful Mary you're defining what is 'officially' undefinable....As for badges etc... BCUK is happy to give away patches, stickers, leather fobs with the BCUK logo that say hey I'm part of a clan or I belong....Having a patch that says I've completed an online course in 'bushcraft' ( what ever that is) is not overly onerous...There are a lot of things that would need ironing out and a few fish hooks for BCUK to resolve but it's not a bad idea per se...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE