Burglars and barbed wire, what's the law ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The best thing you can do is some sort of tripwire along the top of the fence connected to a light and an alarm,or a fire extinguisher

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Nail carpet gripper to the top of the panels... :)

The best suggestion so far IMHO!

This was suggested to my by our local crime prevention officer (off the record of course) when I got turned over when i lived in town. If you attach to the fence on the side facing the property, the barbs will face downwards at a slight angle. Very effective.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Shewie, I so nearly finished with 'unless you have a cat!'
Honestly though, our dogs soon learned that the ring fence was not a place to be! Cats aren't stupid yours will very quickly learn and it may be to its advantage with other local moggies.
I can see that you are vulnerable with the alleyway.
One other possibility is the motion camera. Red posted recently with some possibilities. This is something I am seriously thinking about on certain sites at work. I already have mains powered, hard wired CCTV with a months storage as a deterrant. Motion cameras will possibly be another tool in the box.
Another thought. Not cheap and may involve planning permission as it will be more than a meter high......Build your wall up higher than two meters. This would score a big plus if and when you sell.....52 bricks per square yard in 4'' work. Alternatively 9'' wall, concrete blocks house side and faced up with the same stone as the old school on the alleyway side.
Swyn.

PPS I like the 'gripper' idea too but it may not be kind to cats either! 500w light......feeble trellis.....There are some really good ideas here.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got an IP camera with motion detect from when we were having trouble with the cars getting vandalised a couple of years ago, I'll stick it in the back room tonight and leave the PC running. I got told that home made CCTV isn't submissible in court no matter who good the quality is and how positive the ID, I ended up taking it all down again last time but maybe I'll have to look at this again.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its sometimes dificult to find the right place for it with fences, but anti-climb paint is handy for covering the little tea leaves in black goo when they shin over-its a black greasy gooey paint that doesnt set- would go well with carpet grippers.

Alternatively, one of these;

[video=youtube;RxBa5bQfTGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc[/video]

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
you could also cut a massive hole in the bottom of your canoe, and sleep snugly at night knowing that what they are trying to steal is now rendered worthless ,boy would I like to see the look on there faces when they get it home !!!! :rofl: :rofl:

sorry just been reading the Viz top tips !! :)

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I'm no expert on this at all. But I suspect that the answer is like so much in English law, that magical word reasonable.
In other words is it reasonable for you to have barbed wire in that position. Is the fence high enough that no one going about their lawful business could possibly injure themselves on it. Is it obvious that the wire is there and not a concealed trap. I suspect it would be better if the wire was attached in a neat and secure manner so that it was clearly part of the fence (i'm thinking three stands like the top of fences around military barracks). Of course if the fence had planning permission, then that sort of authorises it too. I don't think that bared wire is illegal per se.

Yes a burglar could try and sue you for many different things, but I suspect that if you had acted reasonably, proportionally and in good faith their suit would fail.

However this is just a guess, just me trying to think sensibly. I don't really know!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I cain't tell well from the photos but is your yard/garden completely contained by the fence? No breaches but entry/exit must either be over the fence or through a gate? If so it might be as simple as getting a dog. No need for a ferocious killer, just a large gentle giant (mid sized anyway but bigger is better) that barks and looks threatening to a burglar and is willing to protect his family and home. With careful selection you can find one that is tolerant or even protective of the cat as well. It would probably make a good companion on your outings as well; especially a Lab or a Chessie.

It would certainly be the most socially acceptable defense.

Last edited:

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
Anti-climb paint, carpet grippers and trellis all good eco friendly ideas.
For the ultimate deterent.
CROSSBOW!!!
Sit and wait for some wee scrote to invade your property then jump out screamin' and waving the xbow about. Word will soon get around that your a nutter and if you have to shot one, meh, who will really care? Just dispose of the body discretely.
Your bushcrafty. You should know how to disappear someone ;) .

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
http://www.dgsecurity.co.uk/spiked_plants/spiked_plants_domestic.htm
Is this RM's famous Sea Buckthorn,
ppf61.jpg
It certainly looks like it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-buckthorn
Happy trails...torc.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If the spikey plants do not suit your plans use a bluff - around halloween I spied some soft rubbery "barbed wire" (also seen in WW2 reenactment) it realy looked vicious but was totally harmless.
Multipul strands of that would discourage interest but not hurt the poor ikkle thieving barstewards if they decide to try thier luck ergo no court apearance for you for if they hurt themselves....

Biker

Disgusted to read what started this thread, and that you have to resort to this sort of thing now. Hopefully the mere fact you saw him attempt it will be deterrent enough.

I don't have any sound advice to offer that hasn't already been said. The trellis, carpet grippers and non drying paint are good. I had a mate who used the blank shotgun shell on his garage door which had his bikes. I don't know if it ever was tripped but it was bowel loosening when he tripped it to show me how it worked. It was up for testing anyway and I happened to be there. Just as an aside a nieghbour swapped a blank for a live round and rigged it up as a mole trap a couple of years ago. It worked. Just glad his dog or toddler didn't find it.

Anyway Shewie hope the advice given, both sound and lethal is of use. But another peice of advice that seems to be overlooked is don't keep in full view anything in your garden what you don't want nicked. I know you shouldn't have to but get that canoe tucked away under canvas or in a shed, even directly out of plain view should anyone peer over the fence.

Good luck and keep your powder dry.

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Do a garden make over ~ add a bit of fence top trellis, some cold frames to provide you with some early grow your own (or protect exotics from frost) and gravel the area with some nice decorative gravel ~ stuff that'll make nice crunchy noises when walked on.

As well as adding a lamped PIR, you might also like to consider one of these ...
catscare_water_jet_pack_large.jpg

(pic from here ~ no connections etc)

... your average fence hopper isn't going to be happy about being sprayed with water ;)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I like the idea of flower boxes sort of "hung" over your fence with some nice prickly stuff growing in them, perhaps nettles as john says. bonus nettle crop as well as a deterrent.
oh and those 12ga tripwires are in a word FLIPPIN LOUD!
damned effective at scaring the living carp out of anyone too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE