Building a tentstove out of scrapmetal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi guys,
Well, as a newcomer to wintertrekking/camping I am in need of a tentstove, too. Since my budget is very limited AND I like tinkering/making things/coming up with solutions, I thought it might be nice to show you how I make a tentstove out of scrapmetal.
I did not use an ammuntionbox, since everyone seems to be doing that. I always like a new approach... :rolleyes:
I have virtually no experience with metalworking, grinding, welding, so there will be a lot to learn for me in the process!
Strolling through my father-in-law's workshop I came across a lot of scrap metal. I told him about my idea and he said I could take whatever I thought I might need. I wanted a stove that would heat my tent and where I could cook on. Preferably made of a thicker metal in order to retain the heat more and radiate it slower, but longer. It has to be small enough to fit inside my tent (which I'll be making next), which will basically be 2 military canvas shelterhalves, but higher.
So here's my catch;
DSC06213.jpg

The large cilinder is a remnant of an old chimney, the yellow tubes are from an old frame (barbecue, I think) and the shown sheetmetal are leftovers from an old woodfed househeatingsystem.
I had to buy a chimney; 3 sections on connectable exhaustpipe. These will be made to fit inside the cilinder for transport, as will the legs.
Here's the cilinder with front and back closed up with more excess sheetmetal.
To the right is the black cookingplatform with a piece of chimnet fitted, to the left the rest of the chimney.
DSC06219.jpg

The general idea;
DSC06220.jpg

Cookingplatform fixed and all sides attached. It sits a bit over the cilinder, creating a hotairchamber. This way I hope the heat will be distributed more evenly, which makes cooking easier. There will be a door in the front later on;
DSC06227.jpg

The welding proved to be a lot harder than I had anticipated! The cilinderwalls are thinner than the cookingplatform and welding that one in place turned out to be troublesome;
DSC06229.jpg

Bad things come in pairs and a minute later the whole contraption fell of the benchvise and landed right on top of the chimneybase.... off course!
DSC06230.jpg

These are the attachmentpoints for the legs. My FIL made those from scraps, too and the legs fit perfectly over them;
DSC06231.jpg

The basic idea was to have 2 legs in front and 1 in the back, all in a 60 degree angle. This way the legs would not stick out to much. By mistake we ended up the wrong way around. The angle of the legs changed to 45 degrees, because on the welding. We forgot to grind an angle to the base and welded them flat on.
In hind sight I think this is better, because the weight of the chimney is now supported better and the whole thing is very stable.
DSC06245.jpg

DSC06243.jpg

The maiden burn;
DSC06247.jpg

Next I'll be making and adding a door, clean the whole thing up, spray it with heatresistant paint and fire it up real good!!!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks Nick.

I forgot to mention;
Cilinder is 20cm across, 40cm long. Height of the ground is 20cm, too. Chimney will be app. 120cm tall. Total weight will be about 5kg, but that is a large guess (hope)....
The chimney is quite heavy itself, but I figured that I wanted one that was durable and strong, so it will not topple over when there's a bit of wind around. It also saved me a lot of work in making stackable pieces.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
looks like the one in me work shop, that looks fantastic i just never found the time to make mine, so the mrs bought mine as a presant, i take my hat of to you bud.
here is mine.

005 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
take care.
lee.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi guys,
thanks for the replies!
I've been tinkering with it some more and I noticed that I have been unclear about somethings, so I will try to straighten that out too.
What I did so far was to first turn the pipes up side down and add a damper into on of the pipe-ends and goofed up with that one. I added the damper into the final endpipe, while it should have been in one of the others!!
This meant I would have to add a colar to the used end or start all over again. With a lot of help, patience and prayer we got a colar on and for good measure I taped it to make sure it is sealed.
DSC06340.jpg

I also cleaned up the whole contraption, so I can paint it.
Here are some detailshot of the front and door. I had to add a few more airholes to make it draft better.
DSC06342.jpg

A shot of the interior. Here you can see that the airchamber is not closed, but is open by using the existing round opening to let the hot air in. The air gets trapped against the topplate and it gets pretty hot, too. The opening in the back is the "exhaustpipe".
DSC06347.jpg

I'll post some more detailshots, when this baby is painted and fired up again. I did use a grid inside of it, to ensure there was a good airflow along the bottom of the fire, but wasn't too happy with the results. Maybe I should lower that a little more.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks guys!

My stove is finished!
I painted it with heat resistant paint yesterday and today I have fired it up, again, in order to harden the paint.

DSC06387.jpg

You can see the place where I chopped the firewood and despite it being -7 C, I was not cold. It did take long however for the water in the pot to boil. There's a full canteen in it, 0.75L, and it took more than 15 minutes to come to a rolling boil. Now I know why; the pot has an elevated rim at the bottom, trapping air between the cookingplate and the pot's bottom..... and we all know trapped air is a good insulator.
I did add snow into the fryingpan, though and that immediately melted.

Plenty of room to make coffee and fry some bacon&eggs;
DSC06406.jpg

Detailshot of the front/door;
All the fittings have been made out of obsolete bookshelfsupports (those that go with a metal rails on the wall). I added 2 extra airholes and now the draftproblem is solved.
DSC06389.jpg

An nice flat rear;
DSC06393.jpg

the damper;
DSC06392.jpg

And this bay likes to get hot!! I dropped some snow on top of the cookingplate and that immediately boiled and evaporated...
DSC06404.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Thanks gents!
The whole contraption weighs in at 13kgs! All included....

But it hardly cost me anything, I had a great time making it together with my father in law and I learned a great deal, too...

Now off to finish my tent....

D

DannyFirepiston

If I ever can find the parts and space, I've found what I'll be building. That is amazing, it looks like that stove is a great little heater and stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE