Building a 'Roubo' style workbench

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
While searching for some sawbench plans I stumbled across this amazing looking homemade workbench at the Woodworking Magazine site...

JameelRoubo.jpg

..this page provides links to the various stages involved in its construction along with links to other pages which will be of interest to those who work with wood.

One of those links took me to the sawbench I'd originally searched for.

Enjoy

:D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
My own bench was influenced in part by the heavy framed construction of this roubo style, except I didnt use 2 stretcher rails at the bottom to stop racking while planing. Instead I put in 2 massive 4x4 braces (like you get on a timber framed building) from the legs to front rail, which makes it absolutely as rigid, but I can store horses etc underneath. I am definately not a bench purist-fetishist :lmao: , I work on mine, its not an altar or a fashion statement. I use it as a chopping block, its got zilliuns of nail holes from tempory gluing up battons (folding wedges) lots of rip marks in one end (I stand on it sometimes to rip big boards) plenty of bit sample holes, paint, oil etc. Its made of 6x4's and 4x4's for the peg-joined frame, and 6x2's and 6x4 biscuit jointed and plywood splined to make the top. I have a massive post vice made of beech, which provides cruel amounts of clamping pressure-it will hold a seat firmly enough to adze it out without moving an inch. And the top has rows of 3/4 inch holes to take 2 massive iron forged holdfasts. And there is a 2 inch square adjustable planing stop at one end.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My own bench was influenced in part by the heavy framed construction of this roubo style, except I didnt use 2 stretcher rails at the bottom to stop racking while planing. Instead I put in 2 massive 4x4 braces.....I have a massive post vice made of beech, which provides cruel amounts of clamping pressure-it will hold a seat firmly enough to adze it out without moving an inch. And the top has rows of 3/4 inch holes to take 2 massive iron forged holdfasts. And there is a 2 inch square adjustable planing stop at one end.

Any chance of some pictures of your bench?

:)

Having built a bench like the one pictures above I think there would be some initial worries about any wear and tear that using it would inflict, that would pass though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE