building a bronze age boat for Time Team

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have been off the forums for a while whilst building a bronze age boat in Dover. It was the most amazing project to be involved in and three months hard graft culminated in a manic week last week with working 7am Thursday to 4am Friday then 8am Friday to 2am Saturday to get ready for the launch. Time Team were there for much of the project filming for a special which will probably go out in the Autumn.

This was back in February hewing the first timbers.
IMG_9097.jpg

Bronze axes and adzes with rawhide lashings
IMG_9109.jpg

beginning to look like boat timbers
IMG_9577.jpg

adze at work
IMG_9655.jpg

The worksite
IMG_9825.jpg

Tony Robinson inspecting proceedings
IMG_9874.jpg

casting bronze tools
IMG_0281.jpg

carving the stern piece
IMG_0559.jpg

beginning to fit it all together, this is around 1 am last Thursday night, Phil stuck with us lending a hand until after 2am.
IMG_0644.jpg

here you can see the way the two base timbers are joined with wedges hammered across through a raised rail. It seems a bizarre jointing system but then this is 1550BC so 2000 years earlier than Viking ships and 3000 before the Mary Rose.
IMG_0653.jpg

4am and the base 4 planks are sewn together.
IMG_0659.jpg

next day was my birthday so Time Team folk provided us with lots of red bull, ginger beer and cake, real woodworkers sharpen their pencils and cut their cake with axes.
IMG_0672.jpg

1 am teabreak
IMG_0710.jpg

great teamwork stitching the last planks and laths into place.
IMG_0696.jpg

crazy tiredness but a great team spirit and determination to be ready for the launch just kept us going somehow.
IMG_0698.jpg

still working as the marquee filled with press the next morning
IMG_0723.jpg

and finally she was on the trailer ready to go off for the launch
IMG_0743.jpg

Off she went hotly pursued by Time Team crew whilst we were left behind to tidy up the site and put the tools away.
IMG_0759.jpg

Launch itself was not so successful but never mind, it was the most amazing woodworking project I have ever been involved in and is now off to form the centrepiece of a major bronze age exhibition touring to France, Belgium then back to UK.

Lots more photos on my blog

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one Robin. I love seeing the end results of all the hard work of dedicated and skilled craftsmen. I salute you and all involved mate. :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Great pics. :)

Allegedly there is one of those at the bottom of Loch Tay near the Crannog, there just isn't any interest or money to get it out of there.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Great pics. :)

Allegedly there is one of those at the bottom of Loch Tay near the Crannog, there just isn't any interest or money to get it out of there.

Stitched plank boats are very very rare beasts, are you sure it's "one of those" in Lock Tay. Bronze age dugouts by contrast are remarkably common. During excavations of 150 yards of riverbank at Must Farm recently they discovered no less than six.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Stitched plank boats are very very rare beasts, are you sure it's "one of those" in Lock Tay. Bronze age dugouts by contrast are remarkably common. During excavations of 150 yards of riverbank at Must Farm recently they discovered no less than six.

No I don't think that the one in Loch Tay is a dug out, but then perhaps my imagination is playing a role here, the archeologist who told me about it painted a picture in my mind and I saw (or wanted to see) a stitched plank boat. Maybe Toddy will pop by with a definitive answer (she wasn't the archeologist I speaking to).

:)

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Wow this took me back to the building of the Matthew in Bristol, it was built in full view so followed it as much as possible , well done lovely work.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Didnt the Saami (who were apparently great boatbuilders) make stitched plank boats?
As did the Chumash in North America and they still do on parts of the Indian Coast. The technology of sewn-plank boats has been established for over 4000 years.

I did wonder if lifting the Dover Boat before lowering it into the water hadn't put strains on the stitches that would not have happened had it been pushed into the water from a slipway or beach. A sewn boat is not a homogenous hull as is one of glued or plastic construction, even clinker built has many more fastening points than does a sewn one but even so they have to be handled carefully lest they be strained.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE